Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seems like an interesting tool vendor

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-19-20, 06:12 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts

Over on The Paceline, one of the folks lost the derailleur on his CF bike (the hangar bent but didn't break). He asked about an inexpensive hangar alignment tool. One of the replies pointed to this tool:

MTB Tools Mountain Bike, Bicycle Derailleur Hanger Alignment Tool

I poked around the seller's listings and saw a number of inexpensive tools. I asked about their source. The response:

We make everything ourselves in El Cajon California

Seems like a win/win - inexpensive and US-produced. I have no direct experience yet with any of their products (and many aren't for our C&V steeds), though I just bought that hangar tool.
Old 09-19-20, 06:50 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro

Seems like a win/win - inexpensive and US-produced. I have no direct experience yet with any of their products (and many aren't for our C&V steeds), though I just bought that hangar tool.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! Could’ve done with a set of their custom spacers instead of hunting all around for the WheelsMfg Campagnolo 9 to 8 spacer kit (for like net $40).
Old 09-19-20, 07:22 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
So for $18 you get a tool that can bend a hanger, but does nothing to assess the amount and direction to which it needs to be bent back. Having used the Park alignment tool many times, I can say that it takes a bit of finesse to correctly align. I don't know how you can do it reliably without the feedback gotten through measurement.

I don't see the point. You'll be aligning by eye and it would be a rare lucky day that you would get it right.

It pains me to offer such a negative post, but it seems to me that this vendor should have put a bit more thought into the design of this tool. Simply adding a 10x1mm shoulder bolt of appropriate length would allow you to spin the handle around the wheel. Then you could measure the distance to the rim using a rule.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 09-19-20, 07:35 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 722 Posts
I saw that disclaimer about it not being a measuring tool. I wonder though, if the seller didn't put that after getting some negative feedback from an idiot who bought the product thinking it was an equivalent to the park tool thing. If the bushing is a tight enough fit on the bolt, you could probably just use calipers to measure between the rod of this tool and the wheel rim, instead of the park tool sliding post thingy.
Old 09-19-20, 07:36 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
I agree with Moe, the pics don’t show the ruler or other indicator you need to s check the 360 degree alignment.

the original Dura Ace that mounted to the hub as well as the hanger was probably the best one ever made

the Park tool

The Park tool

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-19-20, 07:42 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I made one for my shop that is very similar. I use a Mitutoyo dial caliper to take measurements before coaxing the hanger back into alignment, then check with a long straight edge between cogs for a final eyeball of alignment. I easily get less than the 4mm rim deviation at the rim as recommended by Shimano for alignment. Works well but no doubt slower than a DAG-2.2, but I am retired so no worries.
Old 09-19-20, 07:57 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
So for $18 you get a tool that can bend a hanger, but does nothing to assess the amount and direction to which it needs to be bent back. Having used the Park alignment tool many times, I can say that it takes a bit of finesse to correctly align. I don't know how you can do it reliably without the feedback gotten through measurement.

I don't see the point. You'll be aligning by eye and it would be a rare lucky day that you would get it right.
Agreed, I've done the "eyeball" alignment using a large crescent wrench on cheap bikes and got "close enough" but when I acquired a good bike with a bent hanger I ponied up for an alignment tool. It's not a Park but it has built in gauging so you can check vertical and horizontal alignment just like the Park. I don't anticipate using it often but it is very well made and I expect it to last.

I checked out some of this seller's other tools, the headset cup removal tool looked nearly identical to one I bought a few years ago off Ebay. I won't say it was the same seller but the tool looks identical and it worked well 2 or 3 times before it went to crap. It was basically made of small diameter exhaust pipe cut with a band saw to form the fingers. It only took one stubborn cup to bend one of the fingers. The installation tool was marginally better and I have since purchased a Park but I have encountered cups that didn't work with the Park and the el cheapo saved the day. When I bought the cheap stuff I thought I would only use them a few times but I found once I had the tools I was less reluctant to swap headsets and have used them quite a bit. I wish I had just spent the extra money up front, it would have been cheaper in the long run.
Old 09-19-20, 08:20 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
I’ve purchased several tools from MTB and they have all been good. The headset press has been in use for a dozen years or so, no problems.
Am pretty sure that others have copied some of his designs, possible that the execution on those was not as good.
He has also made me some custom stuff, including adapters to make recessed nut frames accept nutted brakes, and some spacers for installing a six speed HG cassette on a later 120mm hub.
Good people.
Old 09-19-20, 09:18 AM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 52 Posts
Custom stuff

Originally Posted by rccardr
He has also made me some custom stuff, including adapters to make recessed nut frames accept nutted brakes.
Doc, can you tell us more about what you had made and how it works?

thanks.

Brad
Old 09-19-20, 10:02 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
So for $18 you get a tool that can bend a hanger, but does nothing to assess the amount and direction to which it needs to be bent back.
you supply the ruler. I've seen a YouTube video where a similar style tool is made. In the demonstration segment, the guy used a ruler to measure the distance to the rim. Given the radius of most bike wheels, I'm sure that will be accurate enough. If you need to hold the ruler in place, a bit of tape or a rubber band should suffice.

I'll try and remember to report back when I've used mine. I have a Motobecane with a slightly bent hanger.
Old 09-19-20, 10:33 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
you supply the ruler. I've seen a YouTube video where a similar style tool is made. In the demonstration segment, the guy used a ruler to measure the distance to the rim. Given the radius of most bike wheels, I'm sure that will be accurate enough. If you need to hold the ruler in place, a bit of tape or a rubber band should suffice.

I'll try and remember to report back when I've used mine. I have a Motobecane with a slightly bent hanger.
From what I see, the bolt supplied with that tool will clamp it on the hanger tight so that you won't be able to rotate it. What you need is a shoulder bolt that screws down tight to the dropout while allowing the tool shaft to rotate (and without too much slop). I reckon you could tighten the bolt, measure, loosen the bolt, rotate the shaft, tighten the bolt, measure ... i.e. a big hassle.

For a bit more money, you could buy something like this that should be more functional.

Good luck to you in any case. Feedback about tools from real users is valuable to all of us.
Old 09-19-20, 10:46 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 722 Posts
I mean, don't screw the bolt all the way snug. Problem solved

Obviously not good for a shop where time is money, but to _avoid_ going to a shop, using the tool a couple times a year, it seems like it could work, if a little finicky.

I too am awaiting the results. If the end bushing is a nice tight fit on the bolt, I may buy one, because I've been thinking about making one and it will cost more to make one than the price MTB Tools is asking!
Old 09-19-20, 01:22 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I mean, don't screw the bolt all the way snug.... it seems like it could work, if a little finicky.
You are correct and Moe has a point. If you are a mechanic sure but for home use I would save your money for a lovely set of Vessel screwdrivers for those JIS screws. I probably check a hanger a couple times a year at most and a machined shouldered bolt would be nice but a few seconds is all that you will be delayed without one. I have a large brass washer between my fabricated tool and the hanger and there is usually residual grease on the hanger so it rotates smoothly and I always check the bolt head with my fingers after every move to another spot on the rim. I find finger tight does not allow the arm to shift at all for accurate measurements.
Old 09-19-20, 03:46 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
I’ve purchased several tools from MTB and they have all been good. The headset press has been in use for a dozen years or so, no problems.
Am pretty sure that others have copied some of his designs, possible that the execution on those was not as good.
He has also made me some custom stuff, including adapters to make recessed nut frames accept nutted brakes, and some spacers for installing a six speed HG cassette on a later 120mm hub.
Good people.
Yup, this seller has been around for some time doing this. Most of his stuff is crude but works, I almost bought a headset press from him a couple times before ultimately deciding on a higher end one. Seemed like good people and answered my emails and question promptly.
Old 09-19-20, 08:25 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevensb
Doc, can you tell us more about what you had made and how it works?

thanks.

Brad
The two things I can remember right away were:
1) A set of spacers to use six 9 or 10 speed HG cogs on a 130mm OLD rear hub so that it would interface properly with a DA 7400 shifter and RD. Note that the original 6 speed UG cogs were somewhat thicker than later 9 and 10 speed HG cogs, so standard spacers wouldn’t do the trick. The exact calculations escape me at the moment, but he cut the spacers precisely as requested. Several years later, they now reside on my ‘78 Richard Sachs, with 7403 hubs. And they shift perfectly.
2) A set of ‘top hat’ inserts that went into the recesses of the fork and brake bridge on a Bianchi Eroica frameset so that I could install nutted Record brakes. Will see if I can pull up some,pics, but this was the bike donated to the 2018 Eroica auction for the SLO Hospice. Later on, discovered that Dia Compe made plastic inserts that did the same thing, could have saved myself the trouble.
Old 09-20-20, 11:54 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Lots of stuff just a little better than I could piece together myself at the hardware store. Pretty much the same price as diy, I'll definitely keep this vendor in mind.