Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

2000 LeMond Zurich

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 08:15 AM
Mr_Stop

Bikes: '00 Lemond Zurich, '87 Celo Europa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
2000 LeMond Zurich

As background, I have started to look into a newer bike. I love pulling up to group rides in an older bike as it is a nice conversation piece as everyone is on a ubiquitous looking newer ride. I often get comments like, "is that steel, must be heavy." Then I proceed to keep up with, or drop those with their new tech. Anyway, I'm thinking of moving to a bit more "modern bike" mostly to give me a bit more gearing for the hills and one that I can more easily upgrade. I would like the next bike to be a bit more "special." For reference, I'm 6'-0" tall.

Anyway, my buddy happens to have a 2000 LeMond Zurich that he is willing to sell. The bike is 57cm and seems to fit me nice and rides well. We haven't settled on price, but he says "he has $500 in it." I believe he has replaced the brifters. Other than that, he said the shop told him that the wheels are about due for replacement. It also looks like the drive train (chainrings, chain, cassette) is also due. The frame is in fair condition with some experience (chips and scrapes) here and there. Tires are pretty well shot. The worst thing is a bit of rust around the bottom bracket that needs addressed (seems a bit common on these bikes).

I'm not too concerned about the drive train condition as it is rideable now. However, my ultimate plan would be to mostly use the frame for a new build (11 spd, new wheels, cockpit, etc). I would have loved for the bike to be a 2001-2003 so that it has a 1 1/8" head tube to expand my build options.

What are thoughts on what I should offer?

Pics to follow...
Old 09-23-20, 08:22 AM
Mr_Stop

Pics:

Old 09-23-20, 11:53 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Well I bought that exact same bike years ago for $300 and mine had some paint marks but was otherwise rideable. One word on those wheels. By far no the only "deeper" wheels I've had but for what ever reason these seem to handle sidewinds worse than any other wheel I've ridden. That said, I set several PRs with my version of this that I still have beaten. Lemond Zurich's are great bikes.
Old 09-23-20, 12:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Lemonds in Los Angles used to be in the 200-300 range now they're in the 500's so go figure...have you checked the local listing to see what the ask is in your area? If the number seems right and you are happy paying the price go for it...you will not be disappointed it the quality.
Like Jamesdak, I like the ride on these...check for cracks in the hubs, less spokes sometimes mean more opportunity for less longevity.
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 09-23-20 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 12:51 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I'd have no reservations about the bike/model. Given the condition you describe, and watching local Lemond ads for a few years, I'd say, knowing what you know, I wouldn't pay more than $500. $400 would be better. Your friend may have $500 in it, but presumably he's gotten a fair amount of use out of it. Replacing everything you've stated, even to OEM 9-speed, you'll easily have $1K in it. Still, with fresh components, you'll have a great bike that's equal(performance & handling) to any new steel bike out there, at far less than what a new ride would cost.

For $600-$900 you could find a 2001 to 2003+ Zurich, Maillot Jaune, Alpe dHuez, Buenos Aires, Sarthe, or Croix de Fer in premium condition with all components in great shape and possibly fresh wheels. Low mile-low use (Lemond and other) bikes are out there..I've purchased quite a few. It just takes time and effort to find them.
Old 09-23-20, 05:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I never understood the hoopla around these. Aren’t the just rebadged Treks? How much input did Lemond have in design and geometry?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-23-20, 05:57 PM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Lemonds in Los Angles used to be in the 200-300 range now they're in the 500's so go figure...have you checked the local listing to see what the ask is in your area? If the number seems right and you are happy paying the price go for it...you will not be disappointed it the quality.
Like Jamesdak, I like the ride on these...check for cracks in the hubs, less spokes sometimes mean more opportunity for less longevity.
Best, Ben
Originally Posted by fishboat
I'd have no reservations about the bike/model. Given the condition you describe, and watching local Lemond ads for a few years, I'd say, knowing what you know, I wouldn't pay more than $500. $400 would be better. Your friend may have $500 in it, but presumably he's gotten a fair amount of use out of it. Replacing everything you've stated, even to OEM 9-speed, you'll easily have $1K in it. Still, with fresh components, you'll have a great bike that's equal(performance & handling) to any new steel bike out there, at far less than what a new ride would cost.

For $600-$900 you could find a 2001 to 2003+ Zurich, Maillot Jaune, Alpe dHuez, Buenos Aires, Sarthe, or Croix de Fer in premium condition with all components in great shape and possibly fresh wheels. Low mile-low use (Lemond and other) bikes are out there..I've purchased quite a few. It just takes time and effort to find them.
Thanks for the input. I just started looking, and there aren't many listed nearby. Looking nationally, it does seem that people are asking $500+ right now. I don't know if it is pandemic pricing, or people are starting to learn about these bikes.
Old 09-23-20, 06:17 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by Mr_Stop
Thanks for the input. I just started looking, and there aren't many listed nearby. Looking nationally, it does seem that people are asking $500+ right now. I don't know if it is pandemic pricing, or people are starting to learn about these bikes.
$500+ for a good condition Zurich isn't unusual, now or several years ago. Within a specific model, the component group and frame materials changed over the 2000-2008 time period. From 1996 to 2003 the Zurich was a steel frame. 2004-2006 the Zurich was a spine frame(carbon-steel mix), By 2007 & 2008 it was a carbon bike. If you're looking around it'll be best to find a good condition candidate (any Lemond) and then look up what it is in terms of tubing and component group. Take notes, eventually you'll know what you're looking at very quickly. Use the Trek-vintage Lemond references. The spec manuals are the best source of specific data.

Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond bike catalogs, bicycle brochures

The titanium bikes are sweet too. They can be had for less than $1500. I paid $1200 for mine(2002 Victoire)..showroom condition and it had just a few hundred miles on it.
Old 09-23-20, 06:26 PM
fishboat

...and if you see a Lemond with the seat-stays connecting to the seat tube about 3 inches below the top tube..that's an aluminum frame, regardless of what model it is.

..and look at a lot of pictures and note the head tube length. As often as not, a seller has no idea of the actual frame size. There's one up in Michigan ('99 Zurich, $200) where the seller says it's a 53cm frame..it's at least a 57cm frame.

Last edited by fishboat; 09-23-20 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 07:13 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I never understood the hoopla around these. Aren’t the just rebadged Treks? How much input did Lemond have in design and geometry?
A good start to understanding Lemonds are the tech manuals.

https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...nualLemond.pdf

I know the geometry on the Trek built ones are the same as his earlier Italian built ones. And I think some of the C.F. ones shared with Trek models if I remember correctly.

And what really matters is there something soooo good about how they feel out on the road. At least to me.
Old 09-23-20, 07:42 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I see LeMonds posted for $500+ quite often. Have no idea if they sell for asking price. With the Ultegra STI rigging, I think this is a good deal at $500.
Old 09-24-20, 09:19 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

The steel models at least have geometry specce'd by LEmond himself , with longer top tubes and lower bottom brackets, etc. per his preferences from what i recall .

I thought the OCLV models were simply re-badged Treks but i could be mistaken
Old 09-24-20, 10:19 AM
fishboat

Look at current offerings in new steel road bikes, and the tubing/groupset(if offered) that's used and then look at the mid-90's to late 2000's Lemonds, then compare the price of each. Got my attention..that, and since I have some history, I prefer "stuff" with a some history, in prime condition, rather than brand new.

I doubt I'd feel much difference in performance between a new Gunnar (using either 853 or Platinum OX tubeset) and a Lemonds (using either 853 or Platinum OX tubeset)...at least not $2500-$4000 worth.

The Lemonds I ride have a very similar feel to my Windsor Pro (Columbus SL tubeset)..though with modern shifting..works for me..
Old 09-24-20, 12:07 PM
Mr_Stop

Look at current offerings in new steel road bikes, and the tubing/groupset(if offered) that's used and then look at the mid-90's to late 2000's Lemonds, then compare the price of each. Got my attention..that, and since I have some history, I prefer "stuff" with a some history, in prime condition, rather than brand new.

I doubt I'd feel much difference in performance between a new Gunnar (using either 853 or Platinum OX tubeset) and a Lemonds (using either 853 or Platinum OX tubeset)...at least not $2500-$4000 worth.

The Lemonds I ride have a very similar feel to my Windsor Pro (Columbus SL tubeset)..though with modern shifting..works for me..
That's kind of what I have been thinking. Again, my search has been new and I just recently got back into riding last year (current bike is a '87 Celo Europa with 7spd). It seems like the Lemond's represent the pinnacle of steel before the industry turned completely to aluminum/carbon and new steel went bespoke. Even if I went all new Ultegra, aero wheels, bars,seat, etc., I should end up less or not much more than cost of a new steel frame alone.
Old 09-24-20, 12:44 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by Mr_Stop
That's kind of what I have been thinking. Again, my search has been new and I just recently got back into riding last year (current bike is a '87 Celo Europa with 7spd). It seems like the Lemond's represent the pinnacle of steel before the industry turned completely to aluminum/carbon and new steel went bespoke. Even if I went all new Ultegra, aero wheels, bars,seat, etc., I should end up less or not much more than cost of a new steel frame alone.
Yep. Lemond bikes in this time frame may or may not be the pinnacle of steel bikes before the sea-change took place. If not, they are quite close. The thing is..in my analysis several years back(I was looking for a brifter-shifting steel bike similar to my down tube shifting AcerMex Windsor) I found some very nice...more esoteric.."pinnacle" steel bikes...but try to find one in great condition..in my size...at a reasonable price. Lemond bikes had everything I was looking for..and they had sufficient sales such that they can be "readily" found in great condition, in my size, for a very reasonable price...you just need to look for them and jump on one the instant you see it. My Maillot Jaune is in showroom condition..wonderful bike. The Victoire is-was a new bike when I got it. I also have a Poprad that was converted to Ultegra components and a triple crank. FUN bike running 38mm tires. (I run 28mm gravel king slicks on the other two.)

It's hard to go wrong with the track you're on.

FWIW..before continuing to ride new to me steel bikes, I did rent a $3K+ Spec Roubaix for a day to see what all the carbon fuss was about. I put 50 miles on it on a familiar route..left me with a "meh". It felt kind of dead..certainly nothing stood out as better than steel. At that point I'd been riding very nice steel bikes for over 3 decades.. I didn't find any compelling reason to change.
Old 09-25-20, 12:14 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts

I don't know about the Gunnar in 853. But I have a Dekerf in 853 and a lemond in 853. The Dekerf is a few steps above the Lemond in every aspect. It is also a full pound lighter and that's with a steel fork. I replaced the carbon fork on the Lemond because of a crack at the fork end. The Lemonds are nice bikes but an 853 frame from a custom builder should be on another level.