Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 11-27-19, 08:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
Yes they did! I didn't even think to look if that was still a thing there though.
always meant to stop in & get some. haven't seen the sign in a while. it's on Wifey's driving work commute. mine too if I go the slow, relaxing, non-highway, route. & when we car pool, we pass it as well. has the horse farm always been there? across the intersection?
Old 11-27-19, 01:08 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
always meant to stop in & get some. haven't seen the sign in a while. it's on Wifey's driving work commute. mine too if I go the slow, relaxing, non-highway, route. & when we car pool, we pass it as well. has the horse farm always been there? across the intersection?
Yes. It's several generations old. There really is a lot of history and tradition on that little corner.

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Likes For mr,grumpy:
Old 11-29-19, 04:08 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Note to self, Black Friday might affect opening hours. So, on the theory that nothing is ever fruitless (even if you didn’t buy “fruit” because the shop is closed).....

So many wonderful parents who knew that it was not too cold outside (and their wonderful kids who may have dragged them onto the bike path):

-mr. bill
Old 11-30-19, 08:51 AM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Note to self, Black Friday might affect opening hours. So, on the theory that nothing is ever fruitless (even if you didn’t buy “fruit” because the shop is closed).....

So many wonderful parents who knew that it was not too cold outside (and their wonderful kids who may have dragged them onto the bike path):

-mr. bill
Was that a reference to the dearly departed Christos Fruit Market in East Arlington?
I miss Chris and Georgia and all the wonderful things they had there.
Old 11-30-19, 09:12 AM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 235 Posts
I hope everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving (and is ready for the coming snowstorm.)
I decided I deserved a break from raking leaves yesterday afternoon, so I took a quick ride up the Minuteman to Lexington Center. The new Visitor Center is coming along:

Looks to be closed in enough to make good progress over the winter. BTW, if you take a look at the floor plan posted here: https://www.tourlexington.us/sites/l..._2.12.2018.pdf you can see that those two doorways on the left in the photo are the two "family" bathrooms. Looks like they will be similar in concept to the two at the Bedford Depot, but not designated by gender.

There was a stiff headwind on the way out, making it feel much colder than the 42 or so it was. My overall body was fine, with windproof pants and jacket, but my neck and face were cold. I've asked for a neck warmer for Christmas to resolve that. The tail wind on the way back was so consistent that at some points I had the eerie sensation of near silence despite going 15mph.
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 12-01-19, 08:04 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I managed to squeeze in 192 miles this week including 29 today on my Honey Allroads before the snow. At one point while in Sudbury heading towards Sherman’s Bridge I noticed how still the air was, no wind at all. Not a bird, squirrel or any sign of life other than the few folks anxiously getting the last of the strings of lights on the bushes or the last few leaves blown and raked up. I was using my Bar Mitts and my Bontrager SPD winter cycling boots which tamed the cold and narrowed the gap between seasonal riding and winter riding.

Later I hopped on my old Gary Fisher hybrid wearing its 29”x2” Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires for the first time since spring. Behind me was my Nomad as I braved the madhouse known as my local grocery store.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 12-01-19 at 08:12 PM.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 12-02-19, 06:01 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
@Ghazmh, you are a monster. Well done.

I managed to get in 22.35 miles yesterday morning before the snow started. Developed ice in my water bottle.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 12-02-19, 08:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

for any "hobby-heads" into model railroading ...

New England Model Train EXPO
Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center
181 Boston Post Rd W Marlborough MA 01752
Saturday 12/7/19 10am-5pm
Sunday 12/8/19 10am-4pm

NMRA HUB Division - New England Model Train EXPO
Old 12-02-19, 09:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
for any "hobby-heads" into model railroading ...

New England Model Train EXPO
Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center
181 Boston Post Rd W Marlborough MA 01752
Saturday 12/7/19 10am-5pm
Sunday 12/8/19 10am-4pm

NMRA HUB Division - New England Model Train EXPO
FYA, the Charles Ro Supply Company in Malden MA adverises itself as one of America's largest model train stores.

My wife and I have frequently gone dining and/or dancing in Malden, and saw it en route. I have a new colleague at work and I learned he had previously lived in Malden. When I told him we went there on almost every Saturday night, he replied, "Nobody goes to Malden."

Back in 2014, I posted to this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I preceded up Rte 99 to Rte 60 thorough Malden. On the way I stopped off at the dance joint that my wife and I visit every Saturday night.

To me it resembles a speakeasy because behind that industrial looking door inside the Jackson Street parking structure is a festive and well-appointed ballroom, with live music, a great dance floor, and cheap but good drinks. Just say, “Jim sent me.”

Finally to end the Magical Mystery Musical Tour, we went back to Malden for dining and dancing that night. (The dance floor is empty, because we arrived early.)
Unfortunately, the joint closed in 2017, but three of our favorite restaurants are still in Malden.

˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-02-19 at 07:11 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 12-02-19, 10:20 AM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄

A few weeks ago I attended a Comedy Performance by local well-known comedian, Steve Sweeney of Charlestown, with a strong Irish heritage. He explained the concept of the after-life as he learned it in Parochial School in the 1960s:

Heaven was like living in Westwood (to the Norwood audience), hell was Brockton, and purgatory was like living in Everett or Malden.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-02-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 01:37 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
FYA, the Charles Ro Supply Company in Malden MA adverises itself as one of America's largest model train stores.

My wife and I have frequently gone dining and/or dancing in Malden, and saw it en route. I have a new colleague at work and I learned he had previously lived in Malden. When I told him we went there on almost every Saturday night, he replied, "Nobody goes to Malden."

Back in 2014, I posted to this thread:Unfortunately, the joint closed in 2017, but three of our favorite restaurants are still in Malden.

˅˅˅˅
Conveniently enough, Charles Ro is located on the Northern Strand Community Trail, a.k.a. Bike To The Sea. So you can ride your bike to catch a (model) train.

rod
Old 12-03-19, 05:55 PM
mr_bill

Finally pulled the last moments of SCOTT! back on labor day weekend.

Sigh:

Ok, this is really it. Sigh:

-mr. bill
Old 12-05-19, 06:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Are the Metro Bostonians aware of this locally inspired brouhaha that has gone viral?
Made the Boston Globe (Yeah, you might not be able to get past the paywall, don't worry about it. Not much to see here other than what's reported everywhere.)

Except the very weak "local" angle is that she is "Grace from Boston." (No relation to @Jim from Boston.
I have been reading this thread, but with no intention to reply. But thanks @mr_bill for the nod, and for the reference to the Boston Globe. My wife does subscribe, and now have to read it though no relation to Grace from Boston.

Indeed, I’m surprised that such a seemingly un-PC ad would be launched in our People’s Republic though there is a Peleton store in the Prudential Center in tony Back Bay… A woman professional in our organization, seemingly independent and “liberated” has in the past highly touted her Peleton to me.

My wife and I were active cycling tourists in the 70s and 80s…I cycle commute and she rides the Charles River Bikepath and regularly works out, usually at Healthworks (a gym for Women)....

On occasion when asked what I'm buying my wife for special occasion, I reply, “a lovely ironing board cover.” [Just Kidding]
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That would be the definition and perfect example of sexism .... I hope she doesn't ride a Peloton there .
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My sense watching the ad is the problem isn't really the storyline, it's her performance.

There's something creepy about her excessive displays of excitement and gratitude, and I think women are finding that portrayal extremely condescending.
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Trying to reflect a typical relationship in an advertisement is only ever going to end badly.
I finally watched the ad and I too thought the performance was over the top but probably typical of Madison Avenue. As I noted above though, my (female) colleague gushed about her Peleton.

The only suggestions I noticed of a Boston locale were the outdoor scenes in the background appropriate to Boston’s climate, namely Winter and Fall.

Maybe an image of a “strong” woman would be of a year round outdoor cyclist.
…So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here.

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
Old 12-05-19, 09:40 AM
mr_bill

We can rule out she is not actually in Boston, but maybe somewhere nearby? Let's see if we can guess where in Metro Boston they are supposed to be:

Story board below

1 - Nice dining table you got there, shame that the Peloton will take precidence. At least they have a couple of Bertoia high bar stools.

2 - OK, we start right after Christmas, we are at least somewhere in New England maybe? Or the Rockies?

3 - Deck says probably New England?

4 - Spring, cut hydrangeas, so New England, Cape Cod or Cape Ann? Ah, but the landscape hanging in the entry says Cape Ann, maybe even Rocky Neck. Plus, she would be "Grace from Down The Cape" if they were in Cape Cod. Plus lots of mid-century moderns on Cape Ann. So Cape Ann it is!

5 - Interesting to bring in some potted trees? Small gas fired stone firepit, used to be illegal in Mass, still not legal to put it so close to a wood deck, and completely stupid to have a step down from the deck right next to the fire pit.

6 - Still spring? Or maybe summer? The campari and soda on ice, and the flip-flops on the deck are odd set decorating details. Trying to say summer I guess.

7 - Nothing says fall like a couple of small potted trees whose leaves are turning, plus a single pumpkin. Rain is a nice choice.

8 - Those shelves. Wow, just wow.

9 - Huge TV instead of fireplace of course.

10 - OK, it's only one year right, so we just cut back to spring?

11 - Wait, back to winter. Only one Sarinen Tulip bar stool now, which she's sitting on side saddle. (BTW, these chairs are VERY uncomfortable for children.) At least there are cookies on a serving plate on one side of her drawing, and milk WAY OVER THERE on the other side of her drawing. But no napkin? Plus not one but TWO HUGE jars of colored pencils, but she has one crayon in her hand?

12 - Finally, we get the long shot of how the space is put together. It's Christmas one year later. Yup, apparently they always dine out? (Two Bertoias this time.) And poor kid is opening her presents while the show is going on. Sigh.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-05-19 at 10:43 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 12-05-19, 11:37 AM
Jim from Boston

We can rule out she is not actually in Boston, but maybe somewhere nearby? Let's see if we can guess where in Metro Boston they are supposed to be:

Story board below...

-mr. bill
Nice analysis @mr_bill. My guess is Weston.
Old 12-05-19, 01:51 PM
mr_bill

If she was "Gisele from Boston" I would have guessed Brookline. (But then we would all be thinking GOAT, what were you thinking?)

-mr. bill
Old 12-06-19, 10:25 AM
rumrunn6

anyone know how the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway is looking? got a pic? I want to ride this weekend but trying to figure out where & what bike to use. the snow in the woods may be too deep & semi soft for my mountain bike. thinking about mounting studs on my hybrid & riding the MM. this time of year the reformatory branch Concord to Bedford gets "iffy" too. but that's a fun ride to add to the MM. gonna be cold tomorrow so the ground will be hard but the footprints are problematic ...

fwiw - the Bruce Freeman Trail, Stowish to Acton, is snow covered w/ several inches, with only a narrow, worn, center line, from foot traffic

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-06-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-06-19, 10:27 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
my new bike
gonna put studs on that?
Old 12-06-19, 10:28 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by bike_tom
Rode out to Concord today on the Minuteman and Reformatory trails
how's it looking now?
Old 12-06-19, 10:36 AM
Jim from Boston

FYA, Earlier today I posted to this thread on the Road Cycling forum, “Best cycling city in USA?”
Originally Posted by RupertCornelius
It's a common theme in many sports - skiing, running, rock climbing, etc that people seek out the best cities to live in to have the best places nearby, but I haven't seen the similar sorts of threads for cycling.

Where in the US has the best road cycling? .

So all things considered - year-round weather, terrain, roads, traffic, group rides, etc, where has the best cycling?
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Do you have to live in said city?

Do you also have to make a living in said city?
I have posted about Boston:
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days

It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist [and residential] destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth.
…And [on my commute] I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs (e.g. Dover, for the cognoscenti)
...I have ridden out West in the Desert, Rockies, and vast Plains, and while interesting and scenic, the views are unchanging for miles, and I really enjoy the intimate quirkiness of Metro Boston:
"Does a near-perfect weather place exist?"

Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter. So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here.

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
Finally, while Massachusetts does have a few named mountains, those of Vermont and New Hamphire are within a few hours drive, and for many in Boston they are routine one day or weekend trips.
Old 12-06-19, 02:03 PM
rumrunn6

fwiw got my answer ... MM in Lexington at 3pm 12-6-19. looks good for cycling with studs. guess I know what I'm doing w/ my Friday night

not sure how many times I can ask my son to run outside his office & take a pic tho ...

still curious what the Western end is looking like (aka Bedford), but I can imagine it's worse
Old 12-06-19, 08:11 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

gonna put studs on that?
Nope, got my Trek cross bike for that.
Old 12-06-19, 08:20 PM
Ghazmh

I Intended to get out Wednesday morning but a quick glance out my front window at the glossy road made me question going out in the dark on likely black icy roads, studded tires or not, I chickened out. Same thing Thursday morning too. This afternoon I snuck out for 20 miles during my lunch break / slow afternoon at work on my cross bike with my Schwalbe Winter studded tires I mounted a few weeks ago. It was a delight to experience the crisp winter air, snow covered holiday scenery. It was dark and grey but somehow almost at pleasant as a sunny July morning.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 12-07-19 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-06-19, 08:25 PM
Ghazmh

i guess Wellesley. Lame corporate marketing by advertising agency milenials that haven’t seen a stationary or real bike until Pelleton cut them a PO to film a commercial.
Old 12-07-19, 06:44 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
fwiw got my answer ... MM in Lexington at 3pm 12-6-19. looks good for cycling with studs. guess I know what I'm doing w/ my Friday night
My road bikes sure can't handle that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.