Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

almost passed out on ride today

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 05:57 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

Went for a winter ride since is was about 32 degrees and not snowing/raining in NJ.....Almost nice. About a mile in I nearly puked as I went out to fast as I felt good. Soon I found my self nearly choking as I had on a tight turtle neck zipper jersey and a tight wind vest zipped up and a too tight chin strap. As I pounded up the hill feeling kinda good the effort made me dizzy and I needed to stop pull over unzip jersey and remove my helmet . Between my racing heart rate, burning lungs and poor winter fitness I began to feel like I was being choked and could not get air....scarey stuff. Pulled over took a minute undid the jersey and loosened the helmet but man scarey.....never happened before....anyone ever experience something like this? Ended uo doing about 15 miles felt OK
Old 01-12-14, 06:47 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
It almost sounds like adult onset asthma. Of course I'm no doctor by any means but it may be worth looking in to. Or maybe you're sick? Either way a trip to the doc may be in order. Or maybe go for another, VERY easy ride to see how you feel and progress from there? Tough to diagnose across the interwebs..
Old 01-12-14, 07:02 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Sorry you had a tough time, and glad the outcome wasn't worse than it was.

Most of us in colder climates should be thinking about base building efforts right now unless you have been working on some other specific plan.
Old 01-12-14, 07:04 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
sounds like you hyperventilated
Old 01-12-14, 07:15 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Glad you are doing OK. Cold air and physical exertion have been known to trigger asthma attacks. If you are concerned or continue to have problems, you might want to check with your physician. If you're like me, I don't do well with tight fitting clothing around my neck. Get a loose fitting neck gator or something similar and wear it under your vest with the zipper left down enough to allow you to breathe unrestricted.
Old 01-12-14, 07:15 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
sounds like he had tight things around his neck and it choked him. i always keep my jersey and outer jacket undone just a bit
Old 01-12-14, 07:33 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like you went out of the gate at full speed with no warm up at all, then attacked the first hill around the first mile while you were already struggling. Combined that with lack of fitness, restrictive clothing and you just couldn't get enough O2 into your lungs. Next time, do a nice warmup and make sure your breathing is normal as you slowly begin to ramp up. Don't push yourself too soon, especially if you haven't been riding much.
Old 01-12-14, 07:41 PM
Fleabiscuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How old are you? Have you had a physical exam lately?

I've thrown up a couple times from eating right before hard training rides. How do you turn down fried chicken? Anyway, don't mess around! Call your doctor or call a clinic or med center and describe what happened to you. And don't eat fried chicken right before a ride!
Old 01-12-14, 08:03 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
plurisitis, i had an attack like that once in the cold as well, not a big deal, calm down, go inside and rest.
Old 01-12-14, 08:17 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Take it a little easy when you ride and feel like that. If I nearly puked on a ride, I would slow the hammering down.
Old 01-12-14, 08:24 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I have recently been diagnosed with sport/cold induced asthma and cannot breathe with exertion at temperatures below about 60 deg F. Even with an asthma rescue inhaler I can't go much lower.
Old 01-12-14, 08:46 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, might see a doc on that one.
Would recommend slow, spinning warm-up next time.

S
Old 01-12-14, 09:34 PM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I have recently been diagnosed with sport/cold induced asthma and cannot breathe with exertion at temperatures below about 60 deg F. Even with an asthma rescue inhaler I can't go much lower.
Can't ride outside when it's SoCal freezing? Don't worry. We can't either.
Old 01-12-14, 09:41 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you kept going, chances are it wasn't exercise induced asthma. On the rare occasion I have an asthma attack/exacerbation it takes a lot more than a minute to resolve. It's also not associated with throwing up. I agree with what others have said about thinking about checking in with your doc, but odds-on the conversation will go like this

OP:" hey doc, it was freezing cold, I went out without a warmup, hit the road full-on wearing tight clothing got all dizzy, threw up and felt like crap. What do you think?"

OP's doc: " I think you should avoid going out when it's freezing cold, going full-on without a warmup while wearing tight clothing. Please leave your copay with the receptionist on the way out. kthnxby"
Old 01-12-14, 09:55 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Glad you are doing OK. Cold air and physical exertion have been known to trigger asthma attacks. If you are concerned or continue to have problems, you might want to check with your physician. If you're like me, I don't do well with tight fitting clothing around my neck. Get a loose fitting neck gator or something similar and wear it under your vest with the zipper left down enough to allow you to breathe unrestricted.
+1. I experience mild cold air induced asthma when riding in temps below 25 degrees and also find that wearing clothing (balaclavas for example) that is snug around my neck makes me uncomfortable with a sensation that my breathing is constricted.
Old 01-13-14, 05:27 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
sounds like he had tight things around his neck and it choked him. i always keep my jersey and outer jacket undone just a bit
I agree with you. I felt choked then kinda got freaked out mentally thought I was gonna drop.......felt better after the adjustment. Just scarey .
Old 01-13-14, 07:37 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
I felt choked then kinda got freaked out mentally thought I was gonna drop.......felt better after the adjustment. Just scarey .
This sounds like a panic attack from anxiety. You went hard from a cold start, needed air, had lots of restrictive clothes on, and a tight helmet strap. All that gave the sensation of restricting your breathing. That probably made you take rapid, shallow breaths which made things worse.

Next time it happens, just try long slow deep breaths and calmly unzip your clothes.
Old 01-13-14, 07:39 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
For colder rides I have a Buff neck gaiter for covering up my neck and can cover my chin if i need to. It is light and not very tight. that way i can have coverage but not have to zip everything up. can find them at rei or online stores. or really cheap on ebay from Korea if you are ok with waiting a few weeks
Old 01-13-14, 12:50 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Also probably made the classic mistake of dressing for standing around not working out.

If you're warm BEFORE starting a hard ride, you're going to over-heat almost immediately. Combined with things wrapped around your neck, that's a recipe for bad time once you start hammering. Always wear layers you can easily reduce once your body heat catches up.
Old 01-13-14, 01:08 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know cyclists are wimps when they can get choked out by their jersey.
Old 01-13-14, 01:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I first experienced something like that riding a new Free Spirit 10 speed home from Sears when I was a kid. The bike would not fit in the car. To get home, I had to ride maybe 3 miles home through a somewhat rough part of town. It was pretty cold out. Fearing getting jumped for my bike, I flew. By the time I got home I felt like I could not breath. Very scary. I went inside and ripped off my shirt in a panic. Took maybe 10 minutes of warm air before I returned to normal. I have had it happen a couple of other times in my life. Try putting a bandana or someting similar over your nose/mouth to warm the air you are breathing in.
Old 01-13-14, 02:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Went for a winter ride since is was about 32 degrees and not snowing/raining in NJ.....Almost nice. About a mile in I nearly puked as I went out to fast as I felt good. Soon I found my self nearly choking as I had on a tight turtle neck zipper jersey and a tight wind vest zipped up and a too tight chin strap. As I pounded up the hill feeling kinda good the effort made me dizzy and I needed to stop pull over unzip jersey and remove my helmet . Between my racing heart rate, burning lungs and poor winter fitness I began to feel like I was being choked and could not get air....scarey stuff. Pulled over took a minute undid the jersey and loosened the helmet but man scarey.....never happened before....anyone ever experience something like this? Ended uo doing about 15 miles felt OK
has happened to me a number of times, when I was much younger.
always in cold (under freezing) conditions, always when I was overdressed, always when I went out too hard without a decent warmup. Happened a couple times at XC races (ski) when I got to a start late and didn't warmup. Also during some very early season bike races...
I had to immediately stop and strip off clothing to cool down and relieve the nausea. Needless to say I had to 'abandon; the race... took about 10 minutes to get back to normal feeling, then everything was OK.
Know of others who have also experienced the same thing.
I'm now very careful to warmup properly in cold weather, and dress for the 'effort' not the immediate chill.
I know a guy who passed out while trying to 'run' in cold weather with one of those stoopid weight lose suits on....

One thing I learned from a very high level XC racer - dress down on the body and dress up on the head. More important to keep the head at a good operational temp and start with a light chill to the torso. Most people do the opposite - they over-dress the torso and don;t cover the head well. Not enough ventilation on the torso really spikes the internal temps and overwhelms the internal thermostats. I think he was right.