Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Failed Tubeless Plug - what did I do wrong?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 11:22 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Fixed my first puncture on my tubeless tyres. (It’s a Giant Gavia Course 1 if that makes any difference, rear tyre.)

Not a huge puncture and I thought ideal for my first one. Used the smaller of my Ryder plugs, refilled with the sealant (Muc-Off No Puncture), reinflated to somewhere around 80-100psi (I usually inflate to 80, but sometimes overshoot to 90) and patted myself on the back for a job well done.

Few days later, a total of around 20km since repair, it failed catastrophically. A very rapid deflation and sealant sprayed everywhere.

I happened to be very close to home so I just walked it in, put it in the shed, and have just come back to fix it now (a few days later).

To find the puncture (pictured) I re-inflated to 80psi. I could hear it, on the ground side, but as I rotated the wheel it stopped. It had sealed itself with whatever sealant remained. Then it started hissing for a second, I rolled it back to be ground facing, and it stopped. It’s still sealed now, 20 minutes later at 80-90psi.

I’m pretty sure it’s the puncture I fixed, mainly because I can’t find another one with a plug in it, although I did think the one I fixed was on the other edge of the tyre.

So:

1) Is it common for plugs to fail? And, if so, when?
2) Why did the tyre seal itself just now, but not at the time? (It’s dry now, but I was cycling in the wet, if that makes a difference?)
3) Any tips for plugging that would improve long term success? I get maybe a bigger plug, but the larger plug looked too big for the hole and the smaller seemed to do the job.
4) Tips for subsequent management of a plugged tyre? Ride lower pressures? I’m a heavier cyclist (100kg.)

Thanks for any tips/advice! Please see attached picture of the sealed puncture.

Last edited by Cramic; 06-25-23 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-26-23, 08:29 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 760 Posts
Just guessing but that cut looks pretty large for a plug especially if you used one of the smaller ones and cuts are harder to seal than round holes plus combined with having a high pressure tire your odds are not good for a long-term fix. I would recommend using a proper inner patch which should last the life of the tire.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-26-23, 09:03 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
4) Tips for subsequent management of a plugged tyre? Ride lower pressures? I’m a heavier cyclist (100kg.)
Consider plugs to be a trail fix for damage greater than your sealant can handle, and reckon on patching the tyre at some point.
Old 06-26-23, 10:03 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Consider plugs to be a trail fix for damage greater than your sealant can handle, and reckon on patching the tyre at some point.
This ^
Car tires in comparison to bike tires are of much heavier construction. In a car tire it's considered a temporary fix because in order for it to work it's got to be forced into the hole. it moves stuff around inside that's not meant to be moved. They are not approved as a long term fix.
Even less so in a tire that has much lighter construction than a car/motorcycle tire.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-26-23, 10:12 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 408 Posts
"What did I do wrong?"

You went tubeless.....
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 06-26-23, 11:34 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
This. Some companies even recommend replacing the tire after a cut that large. Other thoughts:
My first (and hopefully last) failed plug was from not twisting enough before pulling the tool out. I can't tell you how long my successful plug would have lasted because I replaced the tire 40 miles later.
Another thought is that those are junk tires in my experience.
Old 06-26-23, 11:41 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

I've never seen a plugged tire in real life but I would expect the plug to be visible in the puncture if it was plugged.
Old 06-26-23, 12:28 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I see a big hole and no plug.

I've only had to use my Dynaplug twice so not an expert. There is a rubber tail from the plug that hangs out of the hole, I trim it. But the plug is still obvious. I don't see a plug on your tire. That is a big hole. Not sure a plug will work? I had a smaller hole on a 600km brevet and the plug worked but I junked the tire afterwards.
Old 06-26-23, 12:42 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
Fixed my first puncture on my tubeless tyres. (It’s a Giant Gavia Course 1 if that makes any difference, rear tyre.)

Not a huge puncture and I thought ideal for my first one. Used the smaller of my Ryder plugs, refilled with the sealant (Muc-Off No Puncture), reinflated to somewhere around 80-100psi (I usually inflate to 80, but sometimes overshoot to 90) and patted myself on the back for a job well done.

Few days later, a total of around 20km since repair, it failed catastrophically. A very rapid deflation and sealant sprayed everywhere.

I happened to be very close to home so I just walked it in, put it in the shed, and have just come back to fix it now (a few days later).

To find the puncture (pictured) I re-inflated to 80psi. I could hear it, on the ground side, but as I rotated the wheel it stopped. It had sealed itself with whatever sealant remained. Then it started hissing for a second, I rolled it back to be ground facing, and it stopped. It’s still sealed now, 20 minutes later at 80-90psi.

I’m pretty sure it’s the puncture I fixed, mainly because I can’t find another one with a plug in it, although I did think the one I fixed was on the other edge of the tyre.

So:

1) Is it common for plugs to fail? And, if so, when?
2) Why did the tyre seal itself just now, but not at the time? (It’s dry now, but I was cycling in the wet, if that makes a difference?)
3) Any tips for plugging that would improve long term success? I get maybe a bigger plug, but the larger plug looked too big for the hole and the smaller seemed to do the job.

Thanks for any tips/advice! Please see attached picture of the sealed puncture.

you chose to carry a temporary plug kit, and a bottle of messy liquid, instead of a spare tube.
tip: carry a spare tube on your next ride.
Old 06-26-23, 02:53 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 148 Posts
I always patch the inside of the tire when I get home. I usually use a small automotive "radial tire" patch. (radial tire patches have a direction to them to align with the carcass threads)
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 06-26-23, 03:36 PM
well biked

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
In the world of tubeless tires, that's a very high pressure tire. Running the kinds of pressures you're using, I think using a plug for a repair is just generally not going to be reilable. Plugs often work great on tubeless mountain bike tires and tubeless gravel tires, but tubeless mountain bike tires are often run at pressures in the teens, certainly below 30psi. Tubeless gravel tires, generally speaking, maybe high twenties to around 40psi. With the higher pressure tires like in your photo, I suggest repairing punctures out on the road that don't seal with sealant with a spare inner tube, and then if you want to try and salvage the tire later, try a patch on the inside of the tire if feasible.
Old 06-26-23, 04:14 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
Dyna plugs for road bikes. Regular old bacon strips are fine for mountain bikes but for higher pressure I want something more secure.
Likes For Canker:
Old 06-26-23, 08:44 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 694 Posts
Try DynaPlugs and that should take care of it. I run tubeless on all my bikes including my touring bike, I had a cut larger than that one that needed the large plug to seal and rode an additional 1,000 km on that tire without an issue only to replace the tire when I got home. I trimmed the excess off the plug though.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-27-23, 07:47 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 206 Posts
Another vote for Dynaplugs. They have a metal tip that stays in the tire and helps to keep the air pressure from pushing the plug out. Also, 80-100 PSI is almost certainly too high a pressure for optimum rolling resistance. You might want to try a tire pressure calculator. I like this one from Silca:
Silca Pressure Calculator