Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My Toes Are FREEZING!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My Toes Are FREEZING!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 07:58 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Cotton socks, as others have mentioned, are not just worthless when active in the winter (or anytime) but will absorb moisture and make your feet cold. I use Darn Tough wool socks and recently discovered Rapha's Deep Winter Socks which are my favorite. Any dense wool socks will do well but they have to be dense. Some are just thick yet light. That plus neoprene booties will help a lot. Insulated insoles (which I need to find) will help reduce heat loss through cleats or cleat opening.
Old 01-02-16, 08:06 AM
Gweedo1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Cotton socks, as others have mentioned, are not just worthless when active in the winter (or anytime) but will absorb moisture and make your feet cold. I use Darn Tough wool socks and recently discovered Rapha's Deep Winter Socks which are my favorite. Any dense wool socks will do well but they have to be dense. Some are just thick yet light. That plus neoprene booties will help a lot. Insulated insoles (which I need to find) will help reduce heat loss through cleats or cleat opening.

Right on. Mountaineers call cotton the death fabric, because it doesn't wick perspiration away and can cause people to freeze to death.
Old 01-02-16, 09:19 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 5,132 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Toe covers will help. Also, look at Walmart or a sporting goods store for chemical toe warmers. One version of them has an adhesive side so the the warmer adheres to the bottom of your socks.
I actually find it's more effective to wear the chemical toe warmers on top of the feet over the toe area. I think we all think the bottom because "heat rises" but wearing them up top where the blood circulation is near the surface ( I think) works better overall. If it's really extremely cold I may wear a second set of warmers on the bottom but my go to position is the top of the foot.
Old 01-02-16, 09:55 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I actually find it's more effective to wear the chemical toe warmers on top of the feet over the toe area. I think we all think the bottom because "heat rises" but wearing them up top where the blood circulation is near the surface ( I think) works better overall. If it's really extremely cold I may wear a second set of warmers on the bottom but my go to position is the top of the foot.
Top helps to block wind too
Old 01-02-16, 10:42 AM
soma5
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use booties over my shoes. However, the most effective way to keep your extremities warm, in my experience, is to keep your core warm. It seems paradoxical and it might not work for more extreme environments but it seems to work best for me. Disclosure: I hate to say it but it is what my doctor recommended. More disclosure: my doctor is an avid endurance athlete.
Old 01-02-16, 11:07 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Never wear cotton, Always wear wool in layers, thin wool layer and add layers of socks onto that or increase the second socks thickness, Make sure socks are not too tight and make sure the shoe is large enough to accommodate your layered foot without being tight. Get a pair of winter boots, the Sidi Hydro winter boots are great, expensive but great and get them large enough to have room for more socks when needed.
When above is not enough, add the thermal pads.
Old 01-02-16, 11:45 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Therm-ic ThermicSole TrimFit Heated Insole 2016 There are many electric heating products, some of which are expensive, more than bike shoes sometimes. Some I've seen at ski lodges wear then in their boots and high altitude mountaineers use them. It is not, generally, cold enough here for me to adopt extreme measures. Usually, neopreme booties or toe covers with chemical warmers work well. Alternately, we can always go back to flat pedals and insulated winter boots.
Old 01-02-16, 11:46 AM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two wheel cool toe covers

TOE CAP TOE WARMER (MIST) |