Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Charity Events
Reload this Page >

My 5th Year: 2019 Cycle for the Cause ride to benefit the NYC LGBT Center's programs

Notices
Charity Events Whether you're looking for riders, sponsors, or volunteers, this is the place to tell the world that cyclists can make a difference.

My 5th Year: 2019 Cycle for the Cause ride to benefit the NYC LGBT Center's programs

Old 04-16-19, 11:28 AM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Hello Everyone!

I'm doing it again this year. Yes, this is mostly the same text from previous rides, but the need is still there.

Since it was such a great experience for last four years, I am riding from Boston to NYC in the NYC LGBT Center's annual ride again this September.

Once again, I will be doing the whole thing on Lorelei, my 1977 flamingo Superior, so that classic Schwinns get represented. This year I'm doing something a little different: I am co-captain of the Outcycling team. If you want to join me and my team in this endeavor, please let me know. Outcycling is a metro-NYC LGBTI cycling club, but it is open to everyone who is interested. I'm happy to offer information if you would like to register as a rider or as crew. The ride is reaching capacity, but registration should be open until the middle or end of June.

This charity ride raises funds for the Center's HIV programs, which includes prevention education and assistance for people living with HIV and AIDS. I (and many, many others) would be very grateful for any donations. Also, if you work for a business that makes such contributions I would also appreciate corporate contributions, so feel free to pass this information along.

My donation page is: https://support.cycleforthecause.org/peterpedals

The main page for the ride is: https://cycleforthecause.org/

An overview of the programs supported is available at https://gaycenter.org/wellness/hiv-aids. If you are interested and have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

You can also read about my experience from 2017 here: Peter's Cycle for the Cause 2017

Outcycling information can be found here.

Thanks so much!

The ride doesn't scare me, but the fundraising part sure does!

Likes For punkinevil:
Old 07-18-19, 12:35 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm going to bump this up, since the ride is two months out. I'm at about 70% of my fundraising minimum and realize it's time for me to start pushing for this metaphorical climb. Honestly, I'd rather do an extended climb with a 10% grade than fundraise, but the fundraising is really the point.
Old 07-18-19, 01:07 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
aren't you nice !!!
Old 07-18-19, 01:45 PM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinClassSara
aren't you nice !!!
I do try!
Old 07-18-19, 02:08 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by punkinevil
I do try!
Try not, do!

Do they have a ride in So. Cal.? The SF to LA Ride is too long for me at this point (can't afford all the time off.)
Old 07-18-19, 02:18 PM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Do they have a ride in So. Cal.? The SF to LA Ride is too long for me at this point (can't afford all the time off.)
The California ride (AIDS Life Cycle) and Cycle for the Cause are independent. There may be smaller So Cal rides, but I'm not sure. You could probably check with your local HIV/AIDS advocacy organization to see if they know of one. I know that the time commitment for the longer ones does make them impossible for some people to participate. I hope you find one that you can do. It's incredibly fulfilling to ride one.
Old 07-19-19, 01:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

The California ride (AIDS Life Cycle) and Cycle for the Cause are independent. There may be smaller So Cal rides, but I'm not sure. You could probably check with your local HIV/AIDS advocacy organization to see if they know of one. I know that the time commitment for the longer ones does make them impossible for some people to participate. I hope you find one that you can do. It's incredibly fulfilling to ride one.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-19, 01:45 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Try not, do!

@eja_bottecchia there is a 1 day event in orange county. https://www.radianthealthcenters.org/events/ocra They have 30 and 60 mile route options.
Old 07-19-19, 03:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
@eja_bottecchia there is a 1 day event in orange county. https://www.radianthealthcenters.org/events/ocra They have 30 and 60 mile route options.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

How are you doing?
Old 07-19-19, 03:35 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

How are you doing?
I'm doing really well! Finally 95% (estimated) recovered shoulder. I'm commuting 3-4 times a week as many weeks as I'm able and riding on weekends. Working on my fitness and slimming down. Sorry to hear about your bike rack being stolen. That really sucks.
Old 07-20-19, 06:47 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I'm doing really well! Finally 95% (estimated) recovered shoulder. I'm commuting 3-4 times a week as many weeks as I'm able and riding on weekends. Working on my fitness and slimming down. Sorry to hear about your bike rack being stolen. That really sucks.
I am glad to read that you are getting better. I have a torn rotator cuff on right shoulder, it is a major pain.

The OC ride looks great, I am going to try riding it.

Are you doing this year’s Cool Breeze Century?

I got a new rack from 1UP-USA. @TrojanHorse recommended it. It is well-made and safe.

I am out $700.00, but what are you gonna do, right?

Old 07-20-19, 08:16 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I am riding Cool Breeze. Haven’t since 2016 with PhotoJoe
Old 07-24-19, 11:16 AM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Just a quick addendum: Northwell Health has generously offered to match donations through this Friday (July 26) so if you are considering donating, this is great time to do so and double your impact.
Old 08-29-19, 09:01 AM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm bumping this is up, since I head up to Boston for this in exactly 3 weeks. There's still time to donate.

Old 08-31-19, 10:34 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Once again, I will be doing the whole thing on Lorelei, my 1977 flamingo Superior, so that classic Schwinns get represented.

I can't afford to contribute monetarily, but I'll certainly take a moment to admire your bike because that Superior is supercool. I'll be riding El Tour de Tucson in November on one or the other of my Schwinns. Represent!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 08-31-19, 10:40 AM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I can't afford to contribute monetarily, but I'll certainly take a moment to admire your bike because that Superior is supercool. I'll be riding El Tour de Tucson in November on one or the other of my Schwinns. Represent!
I'll take it! Thank you. Classic Schwinns always hold their own. I know it's a charity, but I always take smug satisfaction when I pass a twenty-something riding a carbon fiber up a hill. Don't mess with a 42 year old Superior.
Old 09-24-19, 08:53 AM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks to everyone who supported this ride! We raised almost $2.15 million this year which will go a very long way towards funding The Center's AIDS/HIV service programs for the next year.

On a personal experience note: it was a great weekend for 275 miles. The weather was mostly perfect and not a lot of headwind. Every mile was a joy, even the 10% grade ones. Of course, there is nothing quite as powerful as having over 500 riders and crew come together for a single purpose. I am always left inspired (and maybe a little tired) at the end on Sunday afternoon.

If I wind up in any official pictures this year, I'll weave them into a recap and post a link to it here, but in the meantime, here I am rolling through the finish line on Day 2.

Full disclosure, I had to fake this photo...no one took one at my first crossing, they missed it the second time, and this is my third loop through that arch.

Last edited by punkinevil; 09-24-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-21-20, 01:19 PM
lapola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This charity ride raises funds for the Center's HIV programs, which includes prevention education and assistance for people living with HIV and AIDS. I (and many, many others) would be very grateful for any donations. Also <!->filezilla uc browser rufus , if you work for a business that makes such contributions I would also appreciate corporate contributions, so feel free to pass this information along.

Last edited by lapola; 01-21-20 at 06:41 PM.