Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 07:46 AM
jayspring8
Jay

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Advice

I have just decided to join the world of cycling. Any insight you have to offer is much appreciated:

A little bit of background, I am 20 years old, going into my junior year of college. I have played sports all my life, and never looked in the mirror wondering if I was out of shape, until now. College has taken its toll on me, from partying to eating whatever and whenever I want; never worrying about my physical condition. Unfortunately, one night this year I had consumed just 2 beers, later deciding to leave to go get dinner with friends, and got pulled over by a special DWI task force looking for college kids drinking and driving. Don't get me wrong, it was a dumb decision. I've learned from my mistake and I will NEVER do it again. However, before you judge me, I blew a .09, which is .01 over the legal limit if I was just one year older. This was an eye opener to me. I am more than likely going to loose my license for a year, so this past weekend I decided to take charge of my life and invest in myself.

I went to the local bike store and ordered myself a 2016 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disk. I really wanted a road bike or mountain bike, but didn't know what to get. I really wanted to be the insanely fit guy you see riding a road bike for god knows how many miles, but also wanted to be able to take my bike to the mountains and hit some trails with friends for fun. So I decided on getting a hybrid bike. Being realistic, I'm going to be using the bike for fitness, long rides, and endurance training 9 times out of 10. Because of my DWI, I am going to be riding my new bike to class every day too. This is why I am worried about my purchase.

I ordered pedals that have one side for lock in shoes (when I go endurance riding) and another side being more of a mountain biking style pedal. I ordered the shoes, the tight performance clothes for long distance riding, and a helmet. I'm just worried its not the right picture for a hybrid bike... I'm new to this so I have no idea, but is this something that other people do? Is it normal to use the lock in shoes on a hybrid bike, or even take a hybrid bike for long distance road cycling? Should I order new handle bars so I don't look dumb road biking with flat bars? I hope I don't look like an idiot, I have only played traditional sports all my life (basketball, football, golf) so this is all new to me. I'm really trying my best to become healthy again and get into biking. I have started a low carb diet, quit tobacco products, reduced my drinking heavily, and lost 7 pounds from canoeing, biking, and walking while I'm waiting for my bike to ship in today. I will probably pick it up tomorrow. If anyone could please help me out, or just let me know what you think. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, all comments are appreciated. Im not afraid of being critiqued to better myself.
-Jay
Old 07-14-16, 08:38 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, first of all, you will find that a hybrid is a poor choice for doing trails. It might be OK for improved dirt paths, but not for any sort of MTB riding. Also, since it has front shocks, it's lousy for any sort of heavy pavement riding (even with the fork lockout) because of the extra weight. In the end, this hybrid, like most, LOOKS like it can do more than it actually can.

Since you will be needing a bike for basic transportation, a touring bike or a hybrid that can accept fenders and racks (with no bouncy front fork) would've been much more appropriate. You should've come here BEFORE you bought on impulse. I'm sure your new bike is nice.....for a 'weekend bike', but not for everyday usage.
Old 07-14-16, 08:39 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
Welcome Jay

Ah the college life and all the parties. Well sadly you learned a very important lesson on life. An expensive one but still, people make mistakes. As to your bike and goals. I think that is a good choice that you bought. Down the line you will see if riding longer road and racing comes into the picture, or if pure mountain bike racing becomes of interest to you. This bike is your launching point. The gear. IMHO that is all a good start, and seems well thought out by you. Don't worry about looking like a dork, it's best to be comfortable than miserable but look cool.

edit: And you see 2 views Racing this bike won't do, riding for transportation it will work just fine.
Old 07-14-16, 08:58 AM
Inara220

Bikes: Felt V85

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all... don't worry about looking like a dork. The most important thing about what you are wearing while biking is... is it comfortable? Is it helping (or at least not hindering) my enjoyment of the ride?

I recently went through the purchase of a new bike after years of not having one and I made the oh so common newbie mistake of purchasing a hybrid. Then I took it back and got another hybrid... then took that one back and settled on a cyclocross bike.

Reading what you wrote about what you want to do, I'd highly recommend considering/asking the bike shop to let you return/exchange/whatever and trying a cyclocross bike. They are built for speed, yet can handle rough terrain. I have brought mine on group rides (not competitive racing rides but group rides where everyone else has a road bike) and I was able to keep up with relative ease. I have also taken that same bike (and tires!) on crushed limestone paths (varying in their looseness) and my bike did great. (very loose gravel was a little nerve wracking but I made it through) My boyfriend has a full on mountain bike and I was able to keep up with him. (I think he is a little jealous)

Anyways, my point is that even in your post you mentioned that the majority of the time would be spent on roads and biking for speed/fitness. I think you'd enjoy a road-ish bike more.

Does the bike store you ordered from have any policies regarding trial period and such? Most bike stores do. Mine was a full refund within 30 days ... this allows for people to actually ride the bike and try it out (impossible to do on a 10 minute "test" in the store parking lot).
Old 07-14-16, 09:43 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
There's a lot of uninformed anti-hybrid bias on this forum, mostly if not entirely on the part of people who have little or no experience with hybrids.

If you're not racing and you're not doing hard-core off-road riding, a hybrid like the one you ordered is an inspired choice. Note that I'm a former bike racer who started racing over 40 years ago; I own high-end road bikes, mountain bikes, and track bikes, and yet I do most of my training miles on a 1986 Cannondale mountain bike with slick tires and aero bars.

Enjoy your new bike. If you get to the point where you want to start upping your average speed and effort level, install a set of aero bars on your flat bars. Drop bars have their place, but I'd just as soon ride my bikes with the flat bar/aero bar combination.
Old 07-14-16, 09:48 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Worry less

Ride more

Buy a good lock or two
Old 07-14-16, 10:04 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Your bike and clothing will get you on the path intended, so stop worrying and enjoy your new bike.
Old 07-14-16, 10:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Real Deal...

for you, Jay. Congratulations on taking the steps to correct what you no longer want in your life. If you were my son, I'd be supportive the both the changes and the honesty that brought them about.

My advice would be to return the cycling clothes (you don't need them, yet) as well as the Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc. Get your money back. The hybrid bike was a good start, but the inexpensive front fork is not.

Look at the Trek FX 7.x line of rigid fork hybrids, or the Giant Escape, or whether Specialized has something competitive...

Rigid fork, best/most you can afford at your budget.

Ride with the clothing that you have for the first year. Heck, you'll be commuting to school and riding around. Get used to riding in regular clothing. My two cents.

Ditch the suspension fork...
Old 07-14-16, 11:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I sort of second the people who suggest that a hybrid is not the right bike for you. Most hybrids are not good at a wide variety of things---slow and heavy on pavement, underbuilt for real trails, and the front fork is likely going to be a liability---if you hit a really big bump you might blow it, but unless you have a bad back or neck, it isn't likely to help much even on smaller bumps.

Cyclocross is a better bet---you will be a little slower on real MTB trails, but you will be able to ride them, and you won't be lugging a ton of unused metal around on the road (back in the day, an MTB was basically what we call cyclocross bikes today, but with wide, flat handlebars, and everyone loved mountain-biking.)

Keep the clothes if they fit. You will use them.

Consider buying a couple really cheap used bikes for campus transport---not sure how safe your bike will be wherever you lock it up on campus, but a shiny new bike had best have a couple enormous locks on it---and even then, it will just take a few minutes to steal. If you have a place to store it indoors while you are in class, great ... or if you live in a place where there is almost no bike theft, better still. But .... I'd rather buy a few $50 old road bikes for on-campus use. Save your nice bike for times when you are just riding.

Two-sided pedal are a smart move--that way you only have to wear one pair of shoes per trip. I just stuck a set on my commuter.

Consider a rear rack for whatever you get. Otherwise you will be forced to carry a knapsack---which is also fine if that's what you like.

As for whether people think you look "cool" or "hip" or "bad" or whatever the latest term might be ... small-minded people will always look for ways to put down others, and decent people will not. it is guaranteed that no matter what you wear, what you do, how you look or act, some people will complain. Screw them.

Sorry to hear about your license, but you are already making the best of it. I have a car and a license, but I ride my bike whenever I can simply because it is more fun. Fitness is a side benefit, but the sheer joy of riding makes me ignore my car for almost all my around-town trips.

And for all the people who ride and love hybrids: Great!! Fantastic!!! I have nothing against hybrids, but i don't see where they make the best commuters (too much unnecessary weight and complication for a style of riding which doesn't demand suspension) or the best bikes for longer rides (same reasons) or the best MTBs (simply not built to be beaten hard off-road.)

If a hybrid bike seems perfect for you, then ... seriously, great and fantastic. I don't care if you ride a plastic Big Wheel. if it works for you, it works for you. But I personally would suggest a rigid-framed MTB or cyclocross bike before a hybrid in this specific situation ... just one rider's opinion. No insult intended.

Last edited by Maelochs; 07-14-16 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 11:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Yes, hybrids, with or without front suspension, are not designed for the extremes of on-road or off-road riding. But they're better than high-end road or mountain bikes for the kind of riding that most people do most of the time.

Apply the anti-hybrid logic to frame material arguments, and you can say that since titanium is heavier than aluminum and weaker than steel, it's the worst choice for building a bike frame.
Old 07-14-16, 01:22 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually own a Specialized Crosstrail, and I use it on the road, gravel, and on dirt. I don't jump off of cliffs while riding it (not intentionally, anyway), and I'm not racing, on the road, or off. I've had it as fast as 40+ mph, and I can grind up hills in granny gear, when necessary. It's a little heavy, compared to my road bikes, but it's my main ride, and the one I usually take when travelling or riding with anything other than the fast groups. It's comfortable, and reliable, and capable of carrying what I need to carry, and going where I want to go. It's a great bike for getting in better shape, and I don't mind letting other people ride it. I, too, have dual-sided pedals, and I use both sides. I usually wear cycling shorts and mountain biking SPD shoes, but not cycling jerseys. Nothing against them, I just don't have any, and it never crosses my mind when I'm in a shop that might have them for sale. I sometimes wear a helmet, but I would always recommend wearing a helmet. I always wear gloves, because I've seen the damage that occurs when one falls off a bike and tries to catch themselves on the roadside gravel. You don't need new handlebars, and you won't look any dumber than the rest of us, regardless what you wear, or what you ride, and not even close to the goofiness of most golfers. Don't worry about how you look. Worry about how you feel, and how much better your life is with cycling in it.

Your next post should contain pictures!
Old 07-14-16, 01:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You have to define the trail before saying whether or not a hybrid bike is appropriate. Most trails I'm going to say you'll be fine.

The use I don't recommend is riding your brand new hybrid disc bike to class. You need a semi-expendable bike for that. College campuses tend to be rife with bike thieves.
Old 07-14-16, 01:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
don't quit your dream job, for the girl of your dreams ;-)
Old 07-14-16, 02:44 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I have a 2015 Crosstrail Sport. It's nice and I do very much enjoy riding it on rails to trails. But, it's not a mountain bike, this suspension will bottom out if riding too rough of rides. It's only for helping smooth out trail rides, not serious mountain biking. It’s also not a road bike, so you’re not going to go as fast or feel as speedy as you would on a road bike.

What you will have is something that gives you a wide ability for different rides, but specifically great on trails. It is heavier and at times I feel like doing without the suspension. This bike can accommodate a lot of changes. Check mine out in the “What you did for your hybrid” thread. I have clipless, several sets of tires depending on what style of riding I desire. You can make many changes to the bike to accommodate your needs, like adding a rack, fenders, different handle bars or seats. The brakes work well, better with the some better brake pads, in which I did replace mine. They are hydraulic and it’s easy to brake and to maintain. Getting air bubbles out of one brake was easier than trying to stretch a cable properly on past bikes. Flat bar handle bars are good when on trails, it gives more control over dirt paths. The road handlebars do offer more positions and comfort though. So be prepared for the idea of buying some grips with bar ends to offer different positions.

The problems with this bike: After doing over 1100 miles on it, I’ve had to replace numerous parts. But the parts needed replacement for valid reasons. My bottom bracket went because I took the bike through many streams that were equal height to the bracket. Many muddy trails and lots of dusty trails. So it was bound to die. New chain and I went ahead and replaced the cassette with something better with the better SRAM chain. I rode too roughly two weeks ago on a rail trail and destroyed the rear wheel keeping up with someone on a mountain bike. Got a Mountain bike wheelset to replace the thin wheels it had on it. I have replaced the grips to ease hand numbness. Also a more comfortable seat, which is something that typically, gets replaced on every bike with most people.

People do ride this bike long distance on trails. I’ve gone so far as to do 50 mile rides on it. I’m planning on a 150 mile ride this fall on the Great Alleghany Trail going from Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD.

Do I look like a dork or whatever riding it on the road and yes I do with my more road style tires at 5am, I don't really care what others think and it doesn't matter. My personal opinion is to be happy with what you get and ride it!
Old 07-14-16, 02:52 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I'll also admit, cyclecross bikes or Gravel bikes are nice. I'm even considering getting one next year myself and selling my Crosstrail. But you will be hard pressed to find one at many LBS for a similar price as the Crosstrail. Most LBS are selling the upper ranges on these since it's a hot seller at the moment. Even the lower level Gravel bikes are more expensive than the Crosstrail.

If you have a Performance Bikes though, they have numerous nice Fuji Treads and GT's that are good prices. But that's a choice up to you.

Enjoy your ride!
Old 07-14-16, 03:07 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
most of us have our own opinions of what a bike will do/should be used for...
many of us have multiple bikes for that very reason...
one for each type of riding we are expecting to do...
no matter what type of bike you have someone will tell you it is not the right one for how you are going to use it, and the next guy will tell you to ignore what the other guy said it will work just fine
and there is always the guy who knows a guy who... but most of us are not that guy who..
the general rules of thumb are rules for a reason..
a hybrid bike is a great all around bike... in the trek line the fx series was their best selling bike for years and may still be for all i know...
some of what has been said I totally agree with..
a hybrid bike is fine for trails.. but you will not go railing down a mountain on it sucessfuly
it is fine for road riding but you are not going to keep up with the A group on group rides..
my wife has a nice carbon fiber road bike and an FX 7.5 hybrid...the FX is her favorite bike for rides on MUTs and roads for rides less than 40 miles...
I am not personally fond of the suspension on your bike, I think it is the one draw back to what you have expressed your main interest is...
for us to really be able to offer much advice of value, we would have to have a little better understanding of your intended use... what do you mean by mountain biking, what kind of trails will you actually be riding? and when you say fitness and speed... are you talking about long rides at 20+ mph or is 13 to 15 mph acceptable to you?
I am also concerned about one detail that was also mentioned, nice bikes have a high theft rate on campus... so maybe a thrift store bike for the rides to class and your nice bike for your evening/morning and weekend rides.