Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Mongoose road bike. suntour components :D

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 03:43 PM
hellojoben

Bikes: '83 Specialized Sequoia (crashed and retired), '85 Specialized Allez SE, '86 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2016 Ritchey Road Logic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

A friend of mine wants to sell his commuter bike.

The bike is a mongoose road bike according to the frame decals. It is branded as a competition race frame, but i'm not sure about the decals being original to the bike. I'm thinking someone put them there later on. the seatpost is way too high. He is about 5' 10" and I think he needs an upgrade to a larger bicycle. The front derailleur is a suntour spirt (not spirit or sprint) and the rear is something I havent seen before. at first I thought it was a suntour V. hopefully and expert can come in and explain.

It has stem shifters and a riser stem as you can see. (he is pretty tall for his bike)
I also have in info on the rims/tires.

it also has touring pedals and a BMX sticker/decal on the headtube.

imput is appreciated

thanks,
Joben

sorry about the pictures and info on the bike. I did not take them, and I don't have the bike with me at the moment. I'll try to get a driveside photo sometime soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SDC15239.jpg (37.8 KB, 20 views)
SDC15246.jpg (39.1 KB, 24 views)
SDC15243.jpg (73.7 KB, 28 views)
SDC15245.jpg (47.9 KB, 21 views)
SDC15244.jpg (48.6 KB, 23 views)
SDC15238.jpg (44.2 KB, 56 views)
SDC15240.jpg (54.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-21-11, 04:34 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I don't think the decals are original either, unless it was some sort of a promotional bike or something. Not worth much, no redeeming features I can see.
Old 02-21-11, 04:57 PM
hellojoben

Bikes: '83 Specialized Sequoia (crashed and retired), '85 Specialized Allez SE, '86 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2016 Ritchey Road Logic

I guessed that. anywho,, worth? what like 50? i wouldn't go over 100 but would like other's opinions on it
Old 02-21-11, 05:28 PM
bikemanbob

Bikes: Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, Bridgestone T-700, Miyata 700 GT, Trek 600, Trek 560 Professional Series, Chrome Panasonic DX 2000, Peugeot PH12, Peugeot PX10, Schwinn World Voyageur, Schwinn Circuit, and Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry, I just don't see much value in the bike. If I was at a yard sale, I might pay $5 for it provided that the tires are in good shape (I'm already there, and why not). If I saw it listed on craigslist, I wouldn't take the time to drive after it even for $5. If I was selling it on craigslist, I would list it for $30 but would be willing to take $20 (I would price it for a quick sale). However, please understand that I am very cheap and rarely pay the value of a bike. If I wait, eventually a bike like this will be given to me. If this bike was given to me, I would likely fix it up and give it away to someone in need (especially if I recently made a great score). However, flippers in the Detroit area might list it on craigslist for $80 (which I would likely see it relisted every other day for the next year before it sold). I would suggest doing something nice and giving it to someone in need. I don't believe in Karma, but generosity is always rewarding!
Old 02-21-11, 05:44 PM
hellojoben

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news for him, but I'll tell him what you guys had suggested.

thanks
Joben.
Old 02-23-11, 08:43 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
It's some kind of '80s junk bike, and the fork is sprung (bent back). On a machine like this, I would not even test-ride it with that fork because it might break.
Old 02-24-11, 06:33 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
UH I hate to say this but it looks like a Huffy to me, super relaxed frame, and Waldish stem Ashtabula crank. also is that fork bent? I would not pay two shillings for it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-24-11, 06:50 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
+1. 1980's department store bicycle with bent fork and little resale value.
Old 02-27-11, 12:36 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by hellojoben
A friend of mine wants to sell his commuter bike.

The bike is a mongoose road bike according to the frame decals. It is branded as a competition race frame, but i'm not sure about the decals being original to the bike. I'm thinking someone put them there later on. the seatpost is way too high. He is about 5' 10" and I think he needs an upgrade to a larger bicycle. The front derailleur is a suntour spirt (not spirit or sprint) and the rear is something I havent seen before. at first I thought it was a suntour V. hopefully and expert can come in and explain.

It has stem shifters and a riser stem as you can see. (he is pretty tall for his bike)
I also have in info on the rims/tires.

it also has touring pedals and a BMX sticker/decal on the headtube.

imput is appreciated

thanks,
Joben

sorry about the pictures and info on the bike. I did not take them, and I don't have the bike with me at the moment. I'll try to get a driveside photo sometime soon
That line about the "competion racing frame" is actually quite humorous. It is a Huffy, Murray, Iverson or similar type bike. Worth about $25 to $35 if he can successfully pull the forks forward.