Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 11-25-19, 01:19 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Wait, really? That's not a joke?
Fact. I am late to the party finding out.
Old 11-25-19, 01:32 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Yeah, there was a big to-do about ATOC, with many claiming that the new California law requiring equality for male and female participants being the nail in the coffin, though ATOC officials explicitly stated that was not the case.
Old 11-25-19, 01:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Major bummer about Chico and Tucson... Was looking fwd to racing this TT bike more next year!

At least there is still (knocks on wood) Valley of the Sun, with a solid 30 km flat TT. Outside of that, we will look to defend our SCNCA TTT title, and I'll have some fun at our local club TT series (non USAC) on Fiesta Island, going for some ITT's and potentially the 40k TTT course record.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-26-19, 12:26 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
One of my stretch goals was to get my 3 before San Dimas; I had a puncher's chance of winning 45+ if I could win the TT and hold my time. My time up Glendora was faster than the past 2 years winners, but there are 2-3 guys faster than me out there so it was a 'pray they don't show up'.

With a Thailand vacation in February though who knows how my fitness will be though.
Old 11-29-19, 08:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I totally did what I said I wouldn't..........here's the TT bike wheels that'll work better on "normal" roads. I'm going to fix the bar height today. Forearms on the pads seems comfy enough. Flo 60/90's from an Ironman professional, so race only at Kona and his qualifier event. Great price shipped.

I also totally didn't need shoes, but they had my size and Giro SLX's were like well over half off. So bought some. I'll sell/give away my Fiziks and my ACC's.

I also got something for the roadie, but it doesn't come till Monday-ish.

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-30-19, 06:41 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yeah, there was a big to-do about ATOC, with many claiming that the new California law requiring equality for male and female participants being the nail in the coffin, though ATOC officials explicitly stated that was not the case.
I posted about this when the law was passed and over the last few years about the pattern. I even got blocked because of my proven to be correct views.
I believe you posted my views were absurd (in the thread linked below). Some significant road races have gone away since then.
I consulted my wife, and she confirmed that AB-467 would be the primary reason, and that they would not and should not state that. It will likely be challenged as the discriminatory sexist law that it is. But we may have to wait a bit.

Next - someone will go after soccer where girls teams are disproportionately favored with city and prize money over the boys. Having had both male and female athletes of the non-pro sorts, the girl made out better. My daughter was privileged to play for $20K from Nike that went to girls teams only. That was in OR, so not subject to the law. That and several other national tournaments that paid nothing for the boys.

The logical next step is NCAA and scholarships. Football is only male. Everything else, the males get a smaller % of the money. This law says it all has to be equal. Let's see how that works out.
The result is either end women's races - which they should, given the law, or end it all. Ending it all, they don't have to deal with the politics.

Re-Read...https://www.bikeforums.net/20924577-post1.html

Last edited by Doge; 11-30-19 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-01-19, 08:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Fwiw I work in pharma and Amgen had something happen earlier in the year. The stock was way down q1 and q2 and has since rebounded.

A few coworkers used to work over there and felt it was a business move given current profit/growth needs.

I think the law in Cali just adds intrigue to the cancellation.

Just IMO.
Old 12-01-19, 02:55 PM
topflightpro

Doge, Title IX has been federal law for decades regulating equality in collegiate sports. I’m not 100% on the details, but I believe it requires equal sports scholarships in either total number or total value.

The result has been that many schools have strong female non-revenue sports to make up for the large number of scholarships used by football.
Old 12-01-19, 03:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Fwiw I work in pharma and Amgen had something happen earlier in the year. The stock was way down q1 and q2 and has since rebounded.

A few coworkers used to work over there and felt it was a business move given current profit/growth needs.

I think the law in Cali just adds intrigue to the cancellation.

Just IMO.
I agree with this. It's hard to imagine a multi-billion dollar corp like Amgen would drop an event over having to add, what, $150k? Especially since they spend millions on the event and I'm sure it comes out of a massive advertising budget.
Old 12-01-19, 04:50 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I agree with this. It's hard to imagine a multi-billion dollar corp like Amgen would drop an event over having to add, what, $150k? Especially since they spend millions on the event and I'm sure it comes out of a massive advertising budget.
I always found it funny that Amgen chose to sponsor a cycling event when one of their main products is EPO.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 12-01-19, 06:55 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I always found it funny that Amgen chose to sponsor a cycling event when one of their main products is EPO.
Novo sells insulin and hgh. And they only field riders who are T1 insulin dependent.

I get the big bad image of epo in cycling, but I don’t see the sponsorship thing as that big a deal.
Old 12-01-19, 10:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Doge, Title IX has been federal law for decades regulating equality in collegiate sports. I’m not 100% on the details, but I believe it requires equal sports scholarships in either total number or total value.

The result has been that many schools have strong female non-revenue sports to make up for the large number of scholarships used by football.
At one time, I read all the rules, but forgot a bunch. Tidal IX is proportional on total scholarships. So if 150 are given to men (80 football, 70 all other), then 150 are given to women. It does not matter how many wanted it or not. That is why we had our daughter play that.

The CA law is different.
If for example, there were men's football with 100,000 males competing and a women's football league with 10,000 competing - the money would need to be the same.
It isn't the same. In youth sports, we love our boys as much as our daughters. Tying money to gender is as arbitrary as race, or the sport itself. Some activities, nobody wants to watch, or they want to watch one gender more.
Youth soccer, volleyball, gymnastic are female dominated are the majority of awards go to females.
The CA law says the total award for winning for those 10K women football players needs to be the same as the 100K males. Just like it says the purse for 4 females in a bike race needs to be the same as a 50 racer male field. It is not proportional to the participants. So the promoter can loose money.

Easy way out is to not have a women's division, or, not take the hit at all and just eliminate the event. No one can say for sure why 3/4 of the road races in SoCal are gone now, but I can say - and posted it, it is often the year after they announce the same purse (not per rider, same total) for men and women. I posted a couple years about Boulevard. They were paying males a fraction of the entry fees. They were paying females nearly double the entry fees. This was put on by UC San Diego. I believe they could not that the political hit of making it proportional (Cat 4 women was 4 riders), so the race was canceled.

Last edited by Doge; 12-01-19 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 07:57 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Well, finally got tired of shuttling used parts around the closet and shed so am unloading some stuff locally.

I'll be really flexible on cost if folks meet me at the hammer ride saving me a trip or to help out someone in the group on a tighter budget.

Yes it's sexist, but the old joke about being a cyclist and having more pairs of shoes than a woman rings true........unloading a couple pairs.

I'm also ditching the 175mm cranks on the roadie. It was fine forever until I started using the more aggressive aero road bars. So, going to try 170's. In the process I'll break even by unloading the redundant crank based power meter that's a 175. I can now share the TT bike meter.

I'm sure the wife will be overjoyed about the parade of new/used parts into the house in boxes in the mail, and the parade of parts being cleaned and taken out. That always grabs attention.
Old 12-08-19, 10:54 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Went to see a play Friday called the Cambodian Rock Band at a local playhouse. It was excellent and IMO, one of the best the playhouse has presented in the last couple of years. The play is going to New York. From the LA Times...Cambodian rock scene of the ‘60s and ‘70s, a movement cut short by the Khmer Rouge’s brutal attempt to erase the music (and musicians) once and for all. A story about survivors, the resilient bond of family and the enduring power of music.
Old 12-08-19, 02:29 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
been a while, but this subthread seems dead-er than i remember.
Old 12-09-19, 12:16 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
oh man did i miss internet drama? damn
Old 12-09-19, 07:14 AM
topflightpro

No. There was no drama, and I think Doge is overstating the response to his comments.

Like road racing in general, this forum is suffering a lull. Many of the regular posters haven't been around in awhile, and there just aren't new people coming in to replace them.
Old 12-09-19, 09:34 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
It's always slow on weekends.
Old 12-09-19, 10:59 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
Eh, there isn't much racing to chat about in early December. The CA boys will start firing up in the next month or two.
Old 12-09-19, 01:02 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

What's up with the R series Shimano stuff? Is the new magic in the cassette ramps/profile, the RD motion, or the shifter itself? I don't care about reach in the shifter that much per "flick" so much as nice action.

So, if buying a cassette is it worth it to spend the $5 more for the R series stuff? Same for the RD? Anything nice about the new one?

Seems it has the "shadow" tech. But is that just position on the frame or does it have the chain management of the MTB brethren?
Old 12-10-19, 11:57 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Sorry I've been MIA for a bit - got a 3 week old now! I pretty much stopped any sort of training after a pretty bad Intelligentsia (results wise, it was still a fun trip). Warning - Excuses Ahead: I got sick on the 2nd day there, likely due to the travel and intense heat/humidity. I'd also just come off of a crash at the CBR finale where I may have had a mild concussion, so I wasn't exactly feeling confident taking risks. Plus, I think I was simply out-gunned. Talked to a few of the guys and they were claiming ~350w FTPs to my 280-290. Then I stupidly missed a couple of my races... one because I had an old copy of a flyer, another because I was talking to someone while waiting for my field to be called up and somehow didn't hear them call us! After that, I did a few group and fun rides plus some commutes after that and now I've been almost entirely off the bike for months. Newborns are hard. I've been able to get out to Zwift or lift for an hour a couple times a week at most.

Hoping to get back into a more regular riding schedule as we fall into a routine, and increase the commuting once I'm back at work. I do sorta wish work was a little closer though. It's about 1:20 each way (19.5 miles, lights and stuff), and wife may not be coming back so I will have to do 2-ways or figure out some kind of car-leaving system (drive in, ride back, ride in, drive back, etc). Great for training, I just feel guilty spending nearly 3 hours commuting when there's baby stuff to help with. Plus I'll be taking on more responsibility at work once I'm back, so that may get hectic.

I'm not planning on racing any time soon, but when I do I think I'll focus on crits. I never could climb competitively within my category, so what's the point of trying to stay skinny? If all goes well under the squat rack, maybe I'll put on 15-20 lbs and see what it does to my power. Masters crits, here I come!
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 12-10-19, 02:25 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Congrats!

Kids are fun. Most of the time. Sometimes.

It's important to still have something else, but I hear you on feeling guilty. I always feel guilty, even if I'm in the driveway working on fixing my wife's car, I still feel bad for not helping with the kids, when that's all she does all the time.
Old 12-16-19, 01:35 PM
topflightpro

One of my neighbors - a neurotic older woman - has reached the point that she cannot take care of her dog anymore, and she is going to be trying to rehome him.. To be fair, she was never physically able to take care of a dog that age and size, and she constantly created issues in her head about the dog. The dog is pretty awesome and super friendly. Part of me really wants to take him in. But having just put my dog down a few months ago, I'm not ready for that commitment. And while the dog is great, he isn't that young - 9 - and he has some health issues, notably IBS (which may have been caused by stress created by his owner.) I feel awful for the dog, but I don't know that I can give him the love and attention he deserves.
Old 12-18-19, 04:07 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Sitting here at my desk tingling from beta alanine watching the clock tick down until Zwift time.
Old 12-19-19, 01:47 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Same here. ITT at 8pm tonight. Not doing the TTT because the whole fluid trainer thing and holding a tight line and the drafting formula doesn't work well. I constantly bob in and out of the line on the fluid since it's not a smart trainer to "back off".
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.