Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Can cycling cause an enlarged prostate?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Can cycling cause an enlarged prostate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 10:55 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by macteacher
As I was talking to my LBS earlier today, the salesperson was telling me that a seat not fitted properly can cause a prostate to enlarge. Is that true?
Enlarged prostrate? Is that a good thing? Does size really matter?
Old 04-18-08, 05:27 AM
ascend
free mallocs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
If you ride with your seat adjusted like this it might cause prostate problems:
You don't have much choice when you ride with the seat slammed all the way down like that. If you set the seat horizontally and try to sit down you'll keep sliding forward and wind up putting all your weight on your junk. At least with it tilted back at a sharp angle like that you're sitting on your sit-bones, where you're meant to be sitting.
Old 04-18-08, 08:07 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
BMX saddles are necessarily mean to be sat upon. Its not for commuting or century rides. I used to run mine like that so I could grab the seat and the grip with one hand (for tricks).

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
If you ride with your seat adjusted like this it might cause prostate problems:

Old 04-18-08, 11:15 AM
pedlpusher

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an enlarged prostate and I ride every day. I replaced the stock seat ( IMO and instrument of torture) with a softer, wider seat that spreads more weight.I have found no problems or discomfort at all. Does it cause an enlarged prostate? Don't think so. Mostly age does that. But not getting regular exercise is more harmful by far.
Old 04-18-08, 12:17 PM
pedal.there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacob.
Sorry to hear you're sticking your finger in your rectum. Thats very unfortunate.
I was referring to the digital rectal exam (DRE). Based on your post, it isn't something I would guess you will have to deal with for a number of years...
Old 04-18-08, 09:46 PM
jacob.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedal.there
I was referring to the digital rectal exam (DRE). Based on your post, it isn't something I would guess you will have to deal with for a number of years...
Haha, no i just thought it was funny, and i went back and read my post and made myself laugh really hard.

And no, I wont be needing a prostate exam for a good 30 years, for I am only 17 years old.
Old 09-18-08, 04:15 PM
MiddleOfThePack
Ready To Roll!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Axis CX, K2 Zed-X MTB, Trek Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too Early To Tell?

So this past Sunday I go out with my buddies to test out my new CX bike. Lotsa fun and I bounced around a lot over roots, rocks, etc.
Monday - was feeling a little "off" and decided to not do our regular recovery ride.
Tuesday- Awoke with a fever, took a couple of tylenol and all seemed well until that first pee of the morning... OMG! I thought I was pissing Hydrochloric Acid! Fever got worse, painful peeing got worse, felt like CaCa the rest of the night... 101+ degrees of fever, frequent need to pee but hardly anything came out.
Wednesday - Booked early appt. w/ the Dr. Yep - Urinary Tract Infection and swelling of the prostate - (typical side effect of UTI's) Felt better after first 2 rounds of antibiotics.
So today is Thursday - fever's gone now that the antibiotics have kicked in but I'm anxious about what has caused this??? Is my cycling career over? Is it just a fluke? The Dr. said that UTI's are rare in males and I go for a follow-up visit in 2 weeks. I'm thinking about booking a visit with a Urologist as well just ti get a 2nd/more detailed opinion.

The reason I'm laying out the time line here is not to bore you with the gory details but in hopes that my story may be similar to others (I dearly hope not!) and to get a read on weather this is directly or indirectly related to cycling or not.

Bummer! I've got my 8th century of the season scheduled for this Saturday, Spin class tomorrow and CX season starting in 2 weeks!

Any advice from Doctors (or non-Doctors) who may/may not have stayed in Holiday Inns would certainly be appreciated!
Old 09-18-08, 04:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Well, I guess you felt you had to revive a dead thread considering your circumstances and that's OK.
I'm not a doctor but am a nurse but I can't really say what may have caused your UTI. Probably coincidental that it followed a vigorous ride. Can't say. Follow-up with your doctor and grill him. If things don't resolve or you have a recurrence, then a urologist visit might be reasonable.
My opinion, however, is that it's time to start looking for a recumbent. (That's my default advice)
Old 09-18-08, 05:29 PM
striegel 

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
A couple of years ago, my doctor started telling me that my prostate was slightly enlarged and he recommended saw palmetto. I have been taking a supplement with saw palmetto daily ever since that time.

Last December I increased my bicycle riding when I switched from fair weather recreational riding to regular commuting. At this year's annual checkup, my doctor said my prostate was normal (as in NOT enlarged).

Draw whatever conclusions you like. I intend to keep on taking the saw palmetto AND commuting by bicycle.
Old 09-18-08, 05:35 PM
GearsForFears
1. get on 2. pedal

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiddleOfThePack
So this past Sunday I go out with my buddies to test out my new CX bike. Lotsa fun and I bounced around a lot over roots, rocks, etc.
Monday - was feeling a little "off" and decided to not do our regular recovery ride.
Tuesday- Awoke with a fever, took a couple of tylenol and all seemed well until that first pee of the morning... OMG! I thought I was pissing Hydrochloric Acid! Fever got worse, painful peeing got worse, felt like CaCa the rest of the night... 101+ degrees of fever, frequent need to pee but hardly anything came out.
Wednesday - Booked early appt. w/ the Dr. Yep - Urinary Tract Infection and swelling of the prostate - (typical side effect of UTI's) Felt better after first 2 rounds of antibiotics.
So today is Thursday - fever's gone now that the antibiotics have kicked in but I'm anxious about what has caused this??? Is my cycling career over? Is it just a fluke? The Dr. said that UTI's are rare in males and I go for a follow-up visit in 2 weeks. I'm thinking about booking a visit with a Urologist as well just ti get a 2nd/more detailed opinion.

The reason I'm laying out the time line here is not to bore you with the gory details but in hopes that my story may be similar to others (I dearly hope not!) and to get a read on weather this is directly or indirectly related to cycling or not.

Bummer! I've got my 8th century of the season scheduled for this Saturday, Spin class tomorrow and CX season starting in 2 weeks!

Any advice from Doctors (or non-Doctors) who may/may not have stayed in Holiday Inns would certainly be appreciated!
24 years ago, when I was 24 years old, I bought a new bike and had almost the identical experience. Pain, fever, urologist, UTI, big prostate, antibiotics. Doc said lay off the bike until the infection clears. The pills took 90 percent of the problem away. But every time I would start riding the discomfort would come back, less severe, but enough to be a problem. Finally when I called for like the third refill of the pills the nurse said, honey, try laying off the coffee and drinking lots of water and cranberry juice. If that doesn't knock it out call for more pills. That did finally slowly knock it out and I could ride no problem.

Fast forward to this year. New bike, bang! UTI. This time before it got out of hand I went straight to the home remedy. Knocked it out and I could slowly build up to unlimited riding. It's almost as if my urinary tract had to get used to the new saddles just like the rest of your hind side has to. In my case though both bikes came after a long period of not riding. Anyway, that's my experience. I'm not a doctor but draw from it what you will.
Old 09-18-08, 08:52 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpatkinson
Well, I am a physician, and I would suggest your LBS 'advice' is a load of crap. You sit on your 'sit bones' and -- depending on your seat -- put pressure on the blood supply to your penis or labia [leading to ED, for example], but you certainly aren't putting any pressure on your prostate, and definitely aren't making it enlarged. Period.
My urologist was a crew doctor for the "ride across america" a few years back, and according to the other Doc's I've asked he's one of the best in the business. So he knows dick about biking, or should I say he knows about biking and dick.

He basically told me the same thing. Prostate is not affected. But good bike fit is important to avoiding all manner of malady's not just in your man business.
Old 09-18-08, 09:22 PM
zephyr

Bikes: Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of us guys in our 50s begin to pay more attention to prostate issues. All it takes is a buddy telling you the details about a prostate operation to send you running to your doc for a complete health checkup and getting a blood test including PSA ratio. And you get that done once a year, and the doc gives you a free rubber glove inspection too. All you want to hear is three words, "prostate is normal". And you learn your numbers too, my PSA has held steady at around 1.21 for 8 years.

90 percent of my bike riding miles are from commuting. Those rides are typically a total of 25 to 30 miles a day, 5 days a week. That's roughly 1 3/4 to a bit over 2 hours a day of pedaling, divided in half for the morning ride and the evening ride. My typical suburban route includes a few red lights where I stop and wait a minute or two for the green. I don't ride with clipless pedals so I simply put both my feet on the ground and stand over the top tube while waiting for the light to turn green. This takes pressure off my rear end for a minute or two several times during the 1 hour commute ride and helps everything in that department to relax a bit before pedaling off again. A well adjusted Brooks saddle helps too.
Old 09-22-08, 11:57 AM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiddleOfThePack
I had a similar ongoing problem with prostatitis and at least one UTI over a period of around eight months. I'm 37 (was 35 at the time). I had a lot of symptoms that were first diagnosed as possible kidney stones, then later my doctor confirmed a swollen prostate (it didn't seem swollen to him when the other symptoms started). I also felt like I was sitting on a walnut sometimes. I was put on a course of antibiotics for a short time, but things didn't get completely better. I had issues off and on for many months after that... and when it got really bad I was put on antibiotics for a couple of months I think. Knock on wood but I haven't had any issues since. I read or heard many doctors and cyclists say that the cycling wouldn't be a factor... but the condition might make cycling less comfortable. It seems to me that cycling might have exacerbated the problem at least during the time I had the UTI, but I don't really know. I didn't stop cycling except for weeks when I was really sick, but I did cut my mileage back quite a bit. Eventually the symptoms all went away (I think the long period of antibiotics helped), and hopefully it will not be a chronic condition. Since then I've been riding mostly low mileage (not for health reasons, but we recently moved and things have been insanely busy). I commute by bicycle though, so while it's low mileage I do ride at least a few times a week. So far so good. I have a comfortable saddle (broken in Brooks B-17) on my main bike, and I've considered the Selle Anatomica or the Brooks Imperial (both have a cut-out, but I don't know if the Brooks is available yet for retail). I don't know if those cutouts are really necessary or not, so I'm not going to give up my B-17; but if you have a saddle that leaves you numb or uncomfortable on a long ride that can't be good for the overall health down there.

Sean
Old 09-22-08, 12:15 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
<--- yes a doctor.
BPH, Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy is an extemely common age related enlargment of the prostate. It usually presents with decreased urine flow since the prostate sits at the base of the bladder and the urethra flows directly through the prostate. Enlargment of the prostate constricts the urethra and decreases urine flow. I've never seen any information that suggests or supports the idea that cycling causes BPH. I do believe cycling could induce prostatits. Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-08, 09:07 PM
Kenay

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2008, and Specialized Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am worried about any long term sexual/ health effects riding will have. I am only 19 but it is still on my mind.
I just want to loose weight and have fun riding my bike! grr! NOT worry about my man parts!
Old 09-23-08, 04:14 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This seems too simple, but saddles have the biggest impact on the comfort of your prostrate. All saddles were clearly not created equal.

Some young dudes can ride iron saddles padded with volcanic rocks. However, once a feller turns about twenty years old or so, things change...

I have ridden many dozens of different saddles. My favorite still are leather springer saddles.

A couple of weeks ago, I made the mistake of riding a rigid plastic Sella Italia on a 60 mile ride. Every bump in the road was an @ss pounding. By mile 30, I felt like a fair-skinned convict in a Russian prison.

My family was meeting me at a park for a picnic and I had to call and beg them to bring another saddle so I could finish the ride.

Before getting too discouraged with bicycling, experiment with different saddles - and experiment with pointing the nose of the saddle down a little more each time until if feels ideal.

The saddle soluting beats pills that the doctor will give you.
Old 09-23-08, 08:21 AM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My urologist rides more than I do.

If you're getting urinary tract infections and you're male, make sure you get your doc to see if you have urinary retention. This affects a large number of people who never know it's happening. And it's one of the largest causes of UTIs in men.

Az
Old 09-23-08, 02:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenay
I too am worried about any long term sexual/ health effects riding will have. I am only 19 but it is still on my mind.
I just want to loose weight and have fun riding my bike! grr! NOT worry about my man parts!
Never too young to "Start looking for a recumbent".
Old 09-23-08, 03:15 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 65 and my prostate is enlarged and I have the usual symptoms that go with that condition. I think it is called Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy or BPH. I often notice a reduction in symptoms after a long ride. Possibly, the long seat time results in some sort of prostate massage. Reportedly, urologists sometimes perform this procedure (without the bike seat) although I don't know the particulars.
Old 06-18-12, 05:08 PM
Lazy Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am suffering from angry prostate as well. Too much riding on a saddle that I did not have adjusted properly. My fault. So now I am on antibiotics, sucks cause I do not believe in drugs, but no other choice. So what can be done to lessen symptoms. I was desperate, so I put some BioFreeze on my finger, and smeared it all around down under. I have to say the initial sensation was... umm...hot. haha but after it cooled down...definite relief from symptoms!!!! So go for it!!!
Old 06-18-12, 08:09 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My guess is that the only way bicycling can cause prostate issues is if your cycling time is cutting into your "quality" relationship time.
Old 06-19-12, 01:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Prostate is an internal organ, within your pelvis, thats why the basic test
other than the PSA blood test, is a finger up your backside, to reach inside your hipbone,
Old 08-22-14, 06:38 AM
sydthebass2014

Bikes: Look team585 .USA Merlin c110 works, USA Merlin Proteus team t/t ,(all carbon full dura=ace. Specialised stump jumper m5 mtb.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question to any fellow riders who have suffered UTI then prostatis.........once infection is identified, did the correct anti-bio`s do the job? and what about any recurrance? I have to say my UTI was given to me by my girlfriend also keen bike rider!!!!!now dealing with prostatis
Old 08-22-14, 06:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by sydthebass2014
Question to any fellow riders who have suffered UTI then prostatis.........once infection is identified, did the correct anti-bio`s do the job? and what about any recurrance? I have to say my UTI was given to me by my girlfriend also keen bike rider!!!!!now dealing with prostatis
Best to make sure you have a Good Doctor for your medical problem.

Old 08-22-14, 09:07 AM
malfist

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jacob.
Sorry to hear you're sticking your finger in your rectum. Thats very unfortunate.
Hey, to each their own!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.