Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Etiquette Is Dead

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Etiquette Is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 07:17 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
Well, I've learned something from this thread: places to avoid include SC, western PA, and where ever the OP is from.
Keep em coming!
We don't all feel like that. Also from Lexington, SC and would never hesitate to offer assistance, even if all I can do is make a phone call for someone. I probably won't give someone my CO2, but I will let them use my pump (carrying both is not a bad idea)
Old 03-11-16, 07:19 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I almost always yell something like "you good?" when passing a cyclist who is having a mechanical. Once in a great while, my spidey sense tells me "not this one, it will be like stepping in poop."
Old 03-11-16, 07:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
There's a little irony there.
People need to give help as much as they need to receive it at times, but they can't immediately tell when it's most needed, so they tend to offer it when things appear most wrong. When you're off on the side of the road fiddling with your bike on the ground, it looks like something is wrong and help may be necessary. If you're walking steadily along in town or a more or less settled area and not obviously injured, walking a bike may look a little pathetic, but it looks like you know what you're doing and have things under control. There are a few steps one has to take, mentally, to conclude that the person walking is more likely to need the help than the one messing with his bike on the side of the road, and those steps are not always quick to occur.
When I see someone walking a bike, I usually do a quick assessment. Air in both tires, chain intact, and use that to determine my actions.
Old 03-11-16, 07:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by hatrack71
Only the younger generation. Don't worry, we 40+ ers stay together. Alot of us still were born at the time of good Christian morals. I think I was lucky to miss the fascination with Facebook and selfie narcissist crowd. I'm not liking how society has "evolved." Technology and political correctness has made the millenials a bunch of turds because they are the ones who keep buying into the BS and then pushing it on everyone else. Or they get offended.. Good Lord, I hope I wasn't that naive when I was in my 20's. But since I was a raging alcoholic for many years, thankfully I don't remember. I think I'm gonna go throw up.
Very funny... but political correctness has absolutely nothing to do with being sensitive to other's plight. It's a tool to create separation and censorship. Discernment my friend. There are many false Christians. Those who wish to twist and change the word of God in the name of social justice. So maybe good wasn't the right word.
Why do I get the feeling that you have a "Make America Great Again" hat sitting on the desk in front of you?
Old 03-11-16, 07:49 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Looks like the 'Spring Classics' are starting in BF. Shouldn't be too long until we're discussing waving.
Old 03-11-16, 07:57 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I always ask if they need assistance except;
If they are inked or pirerced.
Are wearing a mirror.
Wearing expensive shoes.
Wearing white shorts
Have a frame pannier.
Wearing headphones
Wearing black socks
Have leather bar tape
If their bike is to matchy/matchy
Have tires that are anything but black
Hi-viz shoes
Hi-vis glasses
American flag jersey
Jersey is unzipped
Have fewer spokes in their wheels than me
Old 03-11-16, 08:08 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I always ask if they need assistance except;
If they are inked or pirerced.
Are wearing a mirror.
Wearing expensive shoes.
Wearing white shorts
Have a frame pannier.
Wearing headphones
Wearing black socks
Have leather bar tape
If their bike is to matchy/matchy
Have tires that are anything but black
Hi-viz shoes
Hi-vis glasses
American flag jersey
Jersey is unzipped
Have fewer spokes in their wheels than me
LOL! Thanks, I needed a laugh today!
Old 03-11-16, 08:08 AM
Jasper Storm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Whether or not I offer help is determined by too many factors to waste my time listing, but I guess I offer 70% of the time.

The only time I can recall having someone taking me up on it was an obviously experienced cyclist who had brought only one co2 and a spare tube. He bungled his one chance at a fix, and was stranded w/o cell coverage (Mount Rainier NP.)

It was obvious he chose to "travel light" and was aching to get a Strava PR on a well-known climb, and it bit him in the ass.

I ended up giving him my spare tube (I was at the end of my ride) and a 16g co2. That's $10 out of my pocket. Of course, he didn't have any cash on him (he told me, I didn't ask for it). He seemed pretty oblivious, I would have felt like crap if I imposed like that on someone. Now, in a similar circumstance, I'll just offer a Rema patch and some glue, unless they bust out a twenty, then I'll even fix it for them.
Old 03-11-16, 08:14 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. I'm not liking how society has "evolved." Technology and political correctness has made the millenials a bunch of turds because they are the ones who keep buying into the BS and then pushing it on everyone else.
The older generation has been bemoaning the demise of the younger generation for thousands of years. Then those young people grow up and claim that the new younger generation has lost its way. It's tired old pattern that has way more to do with how our perspective changes when we get older than actual changes in morality from generation to generation.
Old 03-11-16, 08:26 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You sure posted this in the correct sub forum!
Old 03-11-16, 08:58 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Why do I get the feeling that you have a "Make America Great Again" hat sitting on the desk in front of you?
Right, I can see where you'd have that feeling. But I haven't been able to get behind any of the candidates whole heartedly.
Old 03-11-16, 09:09 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't bother to ask if the rider is on a busy cycling path and appears to know what he/she is doing.

I would always ask or stop, if the rider appears to be clueless or it happens on a rural area, particularly where cellular phone reception is limited.
Old 03-11-16, 09:16 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I almost always ask someone who is stopped if they are OK.

You okay?
You guys iite?

Do unto others... Really don't care what others think of me for doing it.

I don't even care if the person appreciates it or not. The good Samaritan didn't expect a reward.
Old 03-11-16, 09:23 AM
hollywoodeskimo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a flat not long ago and the very first cyclist to come along stopped. There was nothing much he could do because the whole tire was shot. He offered to let me use his cell phone to get some help. I had mine with me, so I didn't need it. Even though he couldn't help me, I appreciate the fact that he stopped.

Not long ago I riding along a dirt road used by four wheel drive folks that tear up these dirt roads and create huge mud holes. I find that appalling. Still, when I found one of these guys with their jeep hopelessly stuck in the mud, I stopped to offer help. When people break down, you offer help. That's the way it should work.
Old 03-11-16, 09:25 AM
SnowCYYCling

Bikes: Norco Valence 2014, Kona Kilauea 1994

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stop, but I carry zero tools/spares on my commutes and wouldn't be able to help even if I do stop. Also it helps if you just stand up and look like you need help. I do not want people to bother me when I'm focused on getting a tube in.
Old 03-11-16, 09:25 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Who knew the issue of tire changing help covers religious denominations and generational bashing.

Anyways...I have stopped to help cyclist in distress (i.e. someone crashed).

Usually do not offer help for someone with a flat tire. I expect in a big city they have the means or can summon the means to fix it.

I would consider offering help in a more deserted situation, but I haven't had that come up yet.
Old 03-11-16, 09:34 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
This would be the perfect time for a newbie to say "Hi I'm new here."
Old 03-11-16, 09:35 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in South California. My question is, on any weekend on a >60 mi ride on a popular route (PCH, river paths..), you know you'll likely ride by ~10 cyclists doing repairs on the roadside (could be worse after a rainfall event due to the debris on the bike lane),will you still ask each one of them or you'll do it more wisely?

On my weekday after-work shorter ride, I almost always ask.
Old 03-11-16, 09:37 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
edit - removed quoted text and off-topic dialog. I do not want this thread to go down that rabbit hole.

To the OP point, I've on both sides of this issue. Earlier this week, I was headed out on a ride and passed a rider stopped on a quiet route. I asked if he needed help, but couldn't hear his response since he had his glove in his mouth. He was smiling and I read that as he's OK, but a mile later, it dawned on me that the smile might have been "thanks for the help, I need it". But I kept riding. I'm a jerk.

Other rides, I have helped countless stranded riders, including repairs, offer a ride home, and a couple times offering a phone since I could do anything else to help. I am an advocate for biking, and I will do many things to keep people's perception of 'cyclists' as positive.

To the other side of this issue, I had a group ride come at me, the wrong way in a one-way under construction. I was forced far right into debris, and got a pinch-flat. I was planning a short ride and didn't bring my saddle bag with tube and levers. I walked the 3 miles home along a very popular bike route and was really disappointed with the very small number of riders that offered help. The truth is, since I was close to home, I turned down the offers, so it wasn't a big deal.

I do not blame this issue on Facebook, cell phones, etc. This is more of an issue of being selfish. This can be seen in all post WW2 generations, boomers through gen Y. This ego-eccentric behavior has more to do with being an American than it does with technology or age. This is just my opinion and I'm certain I will get much hate... sigh.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-11-16 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-11-16, 09:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Really? You guys are going to start arguing religion? Really?
Old 03-11-16, 09:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
no
Old 03-11-16, 10:01 AM
VCSL2015

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hogger453
Iv'e been riding for close to 35 years which doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else.

I'm on the side of the road fixing a flat. 10 or so cyclist pass me, not a one offering assistance. I don't know but it's just a cycling thing. If I have even an inclination that a cyclist might need help, I at the least offer.

OK. Rant over.
There is no way in Hell I would expect a cyclist on my route would stop to help me. First off they dont think I need help. Second they have somewhere to go. If your going to ride a bike be responsible and learn how to fix your own bike. Have a plan B and C.

I would also say I totally would help someone though if they asked for help =) Or would ask someone if they need help. But im a little quirky.

Last edited by VCSL2015; 03-11-16 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-11-16, 10:03 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
You can also ask for help if you need it.
Old 03-11-16, 10:06 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
We don't all feel like that. Also from Lexington, SC and would never hesitate to offer assistance, even if all I can do is make a phone call for someone. I probably won't give someone my CO2, but I will let them use my pump (carrying both is not a bad idea)
I think my point of view has been misinterpreted. I will always stop and offer help to a fellow cyclist, even if I'm driving. My point is that having the expectation that others will help you is an entitlement attitude. Nonetheless, if I'm passing a stranded cyclist, entitlement attitude or not, I will offer help.

It's analogous to my time in the military, when I'd be on a college campus in uniform and the proverbial 18-year-old bleeding heart would try and go off on me. "I do not agree with what you are saying, but will defend your right to say it with my life... if necessary."

The OP is raising a stink that nobody offered to help. That stink was used as a red herring for a diatribe against smart phones and social media... which have no place in his initial beef. It's commendable that he offers to help other cyclists, but it also appears he feels entitled and deserving of help, which says to me that there is a lack of gratitude for those that do help because it's what they're "supposed" to do.
Old 03-11-16, 10:27 AM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Lord, I hope I wasn't that naive when I was in my 20's.

I can't tell if this is written in sarcasm font. If it was'nt I would have to say you were and still are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.