Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 10:01 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
One caveat. I don't have my other training data easily available but this was by far the highest number I've seen (previous was 1550w peak, and then it's in the 1450w range), and it's the first time I've done a massive outdoor effort on the wireless SRM. I'm wondering if this data is comparable to the wired SRMs I had. I'm going to put together the red bike with the second wireless SRM, wondering if the numbers will replicate there. Maybe I have a 300w FTP and didn't realize it. Actually, that's the next thing I checked, because I was holding some high wattages (and blowing myself up) during the same ride. I didn't do any very long for me efforts (20m) but I definitely went hard for 1m to 5m. Best intervals for those times, 326w (1m) and 211w (5m). So the numbers seem real.
it's still an SRM, and while there can be failures they tend to throw the most reliable data.

that said -- are the numbers you were comparing apples-to-apples? were you looking at 1s or sub-1s increments? wired, as you know, can do more frequent recording. (well, wireless could do 2Hz to an SRM head unit, but not the 4Hz of wired.)

for peak power, a wired unit tends to be most accurate, but peak power can be <1s, and things can get a little skewed. i rarely look at it, unless it is on a trusted device -- and mostly lab or track stuff. (peak power from many meters, eg stages, is completely unreliable due to the way they sample and project from angular velocity for a fraction of a revolution.)

still, i would expect it to be pretty similar if you eliminate that first second or so, assuming good meters, calibrated slope, offset checked, etc.

if your FTP turns out to be 300 and not 230, then that is a major sign of a flawed unit or something else seriously amiss in prior or current training/measurement protocols. i'd tend to doubt that.
Old 05-01-18, 10:28 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider

still, i would expect it to be pretty similar if you eliminate that first second or so, assuming good meters, calibrated slope, offset checked, etc.

if your FTP turns out to be 300 and not 230, then that is a major sign of a flawed unit or something else seriously amiss in prior or current training/measurement protocols. i'd tend to doubt that.
I did some sanity checks and found that the numbers seem about right, overall. I'll see if I can crank out a similar efforts this season. For a non-goal year (goal: "just mix it up in races") this gives me some kind of more concrete goal.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-01-18, 10:30 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did some sanity checks and found that the numbers seem about right, overall. I'll see if I can crank out a similar efforts this season. For a non-goal year (goal: "just mix it up in races") this gives me some kind of more concrete goal.
knowing your attention to detail, i find it hard to imagine you would have underestimated your power at threshold by 70 watts/30% for many years.
Old 05-01-18, 11:02 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Sick with a cold last week, slept instead of riding. Saturday I was tempted to do hard efforts but knew better and just did 2x10 low z4. Saw a dude carrying his wheel, asked if he needed anything. Turns out his fork was snapped in half, his spokes were bent, and his down tube was dented. He had just KOMed the descent, went wide at the bottom, and hit a car. Oh and he already had the KOM, he just beat his old one.

Sunday felt good still so did 3 hours with a threshold effort on Paradise Loop.

Monday rest day, but I did a "jog" with my wife who wants to start jogging a few times a week. 1.4 miles at 12:30 pace. 3 short rest periods. Don't wanna push her too hard that she thinks its torture lol.

This morning I went out for VO2 finally. Feeling better but still have congestion. And power wasn't there. So kept it short. 3x4:45 @110%. Maybe enough to remind me how its supposed to feel and ease into next week.
Old 05-01-18, 11:14 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
2x20' at 98 and 100% on Fiesta this AM. Felt good!
Old 05-01-18, 10:30 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Awesome race ride today. Real fun dynamic riding, attacks, responses, wind etc. Got popped on a small riser after having to personally cover two huge moves after just coming off the front. Jumping at speeds greated than 30mph is fun, but a weakness of mine.

Well the ride was awesome till I popped off and then hit a pot hole about 1 mile from the end, snapped my handle bars and crashed. Or at least I think that's what happened. It was a small pot hole, it should not have caused me to crash. I distinctly remember my hand plunging down towards my wheel right before I hit the concrete, so I'm guessing the bar snapped and... good luck keeping a bike up after that. Some decent road rash, but no broken bones and not even a scrape on my helmet. I'll need a new RD, handle bars and probably right shifter. Might use this an excuse to buy the new bike I've been wanting.

Crunchy carbon fiber under the bar tape, guess I get to break out the breathing mask and safety glasses to tear that apart tomorrow.
Old 05-01-18, 11:07 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Picked a good week for recovery, it was cold and rainy today...in May. WTH.

Sorry to hear about that @Ttoc6. Could have been much worse, so there's that.
Old 05-01-18, 11:48 PM
aaronmcd

Doubled up today and did the park ride after work. Wasn't feeling fast after this morning but already committed and a few teammates were coming out so gave it a go.

6 fast laps 7 or so minutes each. Second lap, at the right turn to the final 3 minute tailwind stairstep climb, I was near the back behind the "gap and surge" guys. And there were cars and we got bottlenecked. Front guys attacked, I couldn't get back on. Chased a lap for the hell of it, then took a free lap. Last lap a threatening break got away with Phipps, so I took it upon myself to chase for half a lap. Kept em close enough til I blew up a couple minutes from the finale, and the pack finished em off, just barely. Whenever we/I miss a break I find joy in spending my last match towing the pack to catching distance and letting them have at it lol.
Old 05-02-18, 11:09 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
it's 80 degrees here today so I couldn't not get out, despite only having 39 tss planned. Went for an easy ride earlyish on the bike path and did like 60tss
Old 05-02-18, 02:28 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feeling great on the bike. Strong, fit, etc.

My 2yo kid has pretty much mastered his balance bike, so our walks are more like jogs/runs now.
Now my left knee hurts. Started as a weird-ish feeling on the outside, now it's an intermittent sharp pain at the joint on the inside. Only really gets me if I rotate/twist it a weird way.
I'm not happy.
Old 05-02-18, 02:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Record numbers for me. Those are 1s intervals so nothing sustained. 10000% effort, I almost rode off the left side of the road doing this effort.
Beast Mode!
Old 05-02-18, 04:59 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Until recently I haven't ridden in months and I used to be a 4 to 5 or more times a week rider and when in race training a 6 days a week rider with every day very hard,

But I quit.

Then I started riding again. Really easy, Small ring only.

I went on my last ride yesterday almost all in the big ring. No big deal except in my own mind. When race training I NEVER rode in the small ring. Some things that I found really easy before were now hard to do.

I do have to say that my "sitting muscles" need to get stronger. They hurt. Everything else doesn't hurt, but I am done with race training. Training for racing hurts and I will leave it to you younger guys. If your training doesn't hurt you are doing it wrong. All the best to you.
Old 05-03-18, 10:33 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
2hrs z2 on the trainer today, 96tss. it's another nice morning here (maybe a bit too warm now) but chose the trainer because inevitably I'd be out much longer than 2hrs to get in that tss and I didn't really want to do higher watts during a rest week
Old 05-03-18, 11:29 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
2 solid days of sweet spot this week. Feel like I've regained some of the fitness lost from being sick.
Old 05-05-18, 06:49 PM
Higher Class
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Until recently I haven't ridden in months and I used to be a 4 to 5 or more times a week rider and when in race training a 6 days a week rider with every day very hard,

But I quit.

Then I started riding again. Really easy, Small ring only.

I went on my last ride yesterday almost all in the big ring. No big deal except in my own mind. When race training I NEVER rode in the small ring. Some things that I found really easy before were now hard to do.

I do have to say that my "sitting muscles" need to get stronger. They hurt. Everything else doesn't hurt, but I am done with race training. Training for racing hurts and I will leave it to you younger guys. If your training doesn't hurt you are doing it wrong. All the best to you.
hey hey, great to see you riding again. I feel like I saw you a couple of times when I was out on the rail-trail with Dirty before I left town.

I took a long break from anything resembling "serious" training. First I quit crit racing when I broke my shifter and wheel in a rainy Tampa Twilight. It was brutal... something like 45 started and 18 finished the race. I know a few guys who went down multiple times. Broke my **** pretty good and busted open my elbow where it was still healing from a previous crash. Had to get stitches. Then... moving cross country, complete career change, etc.

I now live less than half an hour from a velodrome for the first time ever. I've done a few omnium nights and just got a track bike. Still not training much, but I get out for short hard rides once or twice a week. I'm actually feeling somewhat motivated to go fast again.
Old 05-05-18, 08:12 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Higher Class
hey hey, great to see you riding again. I feel like I saw you a couple of times when I was out on the rail-trail with Dirty before I left town.

I took a long break from anything resembling "serious" training. First I quit crit racing when I broke my shifter and wheel in a rainy Tampa Twilight. It was brutal... something like 45 started and 18 finished the race. I know a few guys who went down multiple times. Broke my **** pretty good and busted open my elbow where it was still healing from a previous crash. Had to get stitches. Then... moving cross country, complete career change, etc.

I now live less than half an hour from a velodrome for the first time ever. I've done a few omnium nights and just got a track bike. Still not training much, but I get out for short hard rides once or twice a week. I'm actually feeling somewhat motivated to go fast again.
sounds like all you need to do is throw in some long rides here and there to get the endurance bike up and you'll be set!!!
Old 05-05-18, 08:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Today I kicked down 95 mi in 5:10 rolling time with 4500 elevation, 333 TSS. About half of that was bracketed around a group ride, and I hit some solid numbers during a hot lap around Fiesta Island (4 miles) both at the beginning and end of the ride. Rode hard during the group ride too. I felt good today!

I'll ride tomorrow if the schedule permits but I'm not holding myself to it and I'm mostly taking it easy next week. There will be track on Tuesday and some racing over the weekend, but not much else.
Old 05-05-18, 08:35 PM
Higher Class
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
sounds like all you need to do is throw in some long rides here and there to get the endurance bike up and you'll be set!!!
got in 35 miles today... longest yet for 2018

I really think working construction has prevented my fitness from going to complete trash. Lots of stair climbs lately. I can't imagine I woulda been able to race with the 3's on the track this past week if I would have paired lack of riding with working a desk job.

wanna roll for about as long tomorrow but I woke up with a cold this morning. We'll see
Old 05-06-18, 10:39 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Crashed on a decent, trying to catch up to the group. I was first up the climb and stopped to pee, coming back down and too fast for the corner.

I was out out for a bit some Good Samaritans stopped to help. Bad concussion, no broken bones thankfully, left side is sore swollen neck, jaw and ear lacerations on neck and ear.

Struggling with the concussion stuff, dizzy and nauseous. Have an important race on Saturday hope to make it.

Most importantly the bike is mostly OK. Both shifters bent almost 100 degrees, will have LBS check carbon fork and bars.

Got lucky there wasn’t more damage. Work in IT so will take some days off. Promised my wife I’d slow down on descents.
Old 05-06-18, 11:33 PM
aaronmcd

^ Concussion is scary. I have slowed on decents over the past few years. Still bomb em sometimes tho. I got knocked out for a few minutes once at the skate park. Wasn't smart enough at that age to wear a helmet lol.

I skipped racing this weekend, looked fun but wasn't feeling the 5 pm start times.

Did sf bike party for the first time on Friday. Not training but piggybacking on this post. It goes super late but was a lot of fun and a friend was leading the ride with a bike decked out as an x wing complete with r2d2 and her 3 year old son in the back.

Saturday woke up late of course. And then had the old sitting around blues so finally got out for a bit over 3 hours with random efforts from a minute up to 10 minutes for 200 TSS.

Today I got up earlier for a big ride. No plans. Ended up checking out a new little loop near San Rafael, found a paved fire road climb, then saw some trails and did a crazy (for a cervelo) rocky descent and a bunch more trails. Headed over to a lake, then further west and rode down the coast. Got in 112 miles in 7 and a half hours (yeah a lot of headwind plus dirt descents are somewhat slow on a road bike). 370 TSSSSSS today.
Old 05-06-18, 11:35 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331

Struggling with the concussion stuff, dizzy and nauseous. Have an important race on Saturday hope to make it.
Sorry to hear about the crash! Concussions suck.

My advice: don't rush getting back on the bike - and especially don't rush getting back to racing - when still healing from a concussion.

Bones & skin are pretty straightforward to heal; nobody really knows how to heal a damaged brain.

my race videos
Old 05-06-18, 11:39 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
First post-crash ride for me yesterday - it was fine but also kind of sucked. Finger still in a splint (stitches on knuckle), and one of my thighs was pretty painful with each revolution. Only 1 hour, for 12 tss total lol.

Today was better, mostly normal; leg pain gone, did 3 hours at a normal z2-z3 pace. It's annoying being in good form but not being able to really grip the bars, much less race. Really wanted to defend my W last year at the Golden State Circuit race today, but oh well.

Also, saw a (kids') lemonade stand but passed up their please since I didn't have any cash. Went to ATM and came back about an hour later, but they were gone. DAMN.

my race videos
Old 05-07-18, 07:18 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Sorry to hear about the crash! Concussions suck.

My advice: don't rush getting back on the bike - and especially don't rush getting back to racing - when still healing from a concussion.

Bones & skin are pretty straightforward to heal; nobody really knows how to heal a damaged brain.
This.

I could take weeks or months for your concussion to heal. Your brain is more important than your race.

Also, saw a (kids') lemonade stand but passed up their please since I didn't have any cash. Went to ATM and came back about an hour later, but they were gone. DAMN.
They didn't take Zelle?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wHh0/wells-fargo-zelle-perfect

(Note: I hate this commercial.)
Old 05-07-18, 10:11 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Commuting season has started. Some new PR's in the gym, and my lowest weight since at least 1996 (I'm old af). Good week of training, though with everything going on (group rides, races) my on bike structure is suffering.

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Crashed on a decent, trying to catch up to the group. I was first up the climb and stopped to pee, coming back down and too fast for the corner.

I was out out for a bit some Good Samaritans stopped to help. Bad concussion, no broken bones thankfully, left side is sore swollen neck, jaw and ear lacerations on neck and ear.

Most importantly the bike is mostly OK. Both shifters bent almost 100 degrees, will have LBS check carbon fork and bars.

Got lucky there wasn’t more damage. Work in IT so will take some days off. Promised my wife I’d slow down on descents.
Ugh, sorry to hear about that. Head trauma is the worst. Make sure that when you get out of bed hold on to something, and get up slowly. That's when its the worst.

First post-crash ride for me yesterday - it was fine but also kind of sucked. Finger still in a splint (stitches on knuckle), and one of my thighs was pretty painful with each revolution. Only 1 hour, for 12 tss total lol.

Today was better, mostly normal; leg pain gone, did 3 hours at a normal z2-z3 pace. It's annoying being in good form but not being able to really grip the bars, much less race. Really wanted to defend my W last year at the Golden State Circuit race today, but oh well.

I saw that nasty pic of your finger than noticed your power numbers and I was like.....mf...even broken this guy's crushing it.
Old 05-07-18, 10:29 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Had a rare free weekend where I wasn't traveling or racing, and took advantage of it. The weather was amazing!

Sat - rode to the Swami's ride from home. It was hard, especially the first few decisive sections. Made it with the small front group, finally won one of the sprints by cresting hard over the final roller with one guy following, played semi-dead and got on his wheel, then as the group was nearly on us I launched. Rode the long way home with my teammate, for about 85 miles total and 265 TSS

Sun - slow and steady ride up the coast, nearly made it to San Onofre (nuclear boobs), turned around and met up with the wife in Encinitas, for a total of 75 miles, ~190 TSS.

Total TSS for the week of 740, I think its the biggest week I've had this year. Hoping I get to continue with the higher volume for a bit, as I seem to respond well to it.

Possibly doing Victorville RR this weekend as my first P12. It's almost comical how big the mileage jump is between the Cat 3 field and the P12. 36 miles vs 84...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.