Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What tires do you all run?

Old 04-24-19, 12:48 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
Thanks for that feedback on the 38mm Ramblers. I've seen plenty of other complaints about the separations.

It's hard to tell whether to write off the Ramblers entirely, though, since there are a whole bunch of varieties: different sizes (38 and 40), with and without the sidewall protection, etc. I've not been able to figure out whether the problems are will all of them, or only certain versions.
All my failures were right in the middle of the tire. The sidewalls were fine.

My buddy had a sidewall failure while riding a 20 mile asphalt section, same tire.

They warrantied four of them.
Old 04-24-19, 04:24 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I’m down to Vittoria Zeros or Dry and the Hutchinson Overide.
Old 04-25-19, 11:30 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I’m down to Vittoria Zeros or Dry and the Hutchinson Overide.
Im not a fan of hutchinson but I do like the tread pattern of the overides. Looks like they would do well in the city, hardpack and mixed weather. The Drys will be slightly more aggressive on the gravel. I think the zeros are fairweather and not really good gravel tires but would do much better than the other 2 tires in an urban environment.

Just my 2 pennies worth. Valued at about 2 pennies.

-Sean
Old 04-28-19, 04:16 AM
bstark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been riding the vittoria terreno dry tires for a few weeks now. Haven't had as many miles on gravel as I'd like due to weather, but like them much better on gravel than the g-ones on my bike originally. Running 40c on the vittoria tires(the packaging said 38, sidewall 40. Trust whichever number you like). Grip on gravel is good, and the ride is pretty smooth. I probably lose a bit of speed on pavement with them, but I'm slow anyway so not a big deal.
Old 04-29-19, 01:46 PM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Mavic Yksion Allroad XL 40mm for offroad, and Hutchinson Sector 32 for road riding.
Old 04-30-19, 12:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK I did it I ordered some Vittoria Terreno Dry 700x40 gravel tires. I will keep the Schwalbe Marathons in storage for another time. The tires are tubeless ready so are my wheels so I can go tubeless in the future.
Old 05-01-19, 03:25 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
For the Katy Trail I've had great success with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. I've never had a puncture with them. I also like the reflective stripe as I sometimes ride in the dark. I weigh 220 lbs and 700x32 are adequate for the Katy. I was going to go to 700x35s on my touring bike, but bought a gravel bike instead with massive 650b x 47s which are overkill for the Katy but great for gravel like the Hamburg Trail that goes from the Katy Trail up to Weldon Springs.
Old 05-01-19, 06:00 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK I did it I ordered some Vittoria Terreno Dry 700x40 gravel tires. I will keep the Schwalbe Marathons in storage for another time. The tires are tubeless ready so are my wheels so I can go tubeless in the future.
Might want to go tubeless sooner rather than later ... whilst great tyres I don't think they have a heap of puncture protection but if anyone knows otherwise please correct me but this was why I didn't go with them when I had a choice nor the Hutchinson Overrides although apart from that they both get superb reviews and are probably designed / best suited to tubeless so absolutely not a criticism of either tyre more a question??

Last edited by Witterings; 05-01-19 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 06:09 PM
mchb

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
29x2.5" ExtraTerrestrials.
Old 05-02-19, 09:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Go tubeless now! You never know until you try. You can always go back to tubes if you don't like it.
Old 05-05-19, 06:59 AM
Badstoob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In layman's terms what are the differences between the various Schwalbe G-One variants? I've just ordered a new set of wheels and was looking at some tyres for mixed tarmac/gravel use and the Schwalbe G-Ones are often recommended but one is around 30 UK pounds and the others are around 50.
Old 05-05-19, 04:12 PM
Witterings

Might want to go tubeless sooner rather than later ... whilst great tyres I don't think they have a heap of puncture protection but if anyone knows otherwise please correct me but this was why I didn't go with them when I had a choice nor the Hutchinson Overrides although apart from that they both get superb reviews and are probably designed / best suited to tubeless so absolutely not a criticism of either tyre more a question
Old 05-05-19, 04:24 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Badstoob
In layman's terms what are the differences between the various Schwalbe G-One variants? I've just ordered a new set of wheels and was looking at some tyres for mixed tarmac/gravel use and the Schwalbe G-Ones are often recommended but one is around 30 UK pounds and the others are around 50.
There's a chart on their page about them that shows most of the differences .. this was the only real info I could find when researching them and in essence infers the tubeless ready are more expensive than the standard with the more expensive you get seemingly giving higher levels of puncture protection (I assume this means running them tubeless) but with less rolling resistance / faster on the roads.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-rea...-allround.html