Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Back Pain - Worried !!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Back Pain - Worried !!

Old 05-16-19, 08:05 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Yes, of course.

Per the OP's description: "had a little bit of back pain now and again for about 6 months. Nothing bad just the odd ache. The a few weeks back it got really bad."

Could be "aliens" (euphemistically speaking), bad disc(s), sciatica, something out of alignment, poor saddle position, or any number of things.

But moderate stretches can often be a very simple thing to attempt, to see whether it alters the symptoms. Isn't for everyone, no. Won't help everyone, no. Might harm a severe underlying condition, particularly if done blindly hard without regard to suitability. Didn't mean to suggest such things are a catch-all wonderment for everyone. Just meant that it's an easily attempted step that most can do, in situations where the tests/docs aren't showing clear "positive" signs of a specific condition.

YMMV, as with anything.
My guess is it's not aliens. Sciatica is a symptom, not an underlying condition. "Something out of alignment" is mostly chiropractic mumbo jumbo.

If the symptom is sciatica, a bad disc or piriformis syndrome are two of the more likely causes. Sounds like the OPs doc suspects something like piriformis syndrome. The first PT I saw for my sciatica also thought I had piriformis. Glute medius, piriformis, and hamstring stretches (like pigeon pose) are good if the problem is piriformis syndrome.

I was misdiagnosed, though. Those stretches caused my bulging disc to worsen and really aggravated my sciatica symptoms. My only point above is; for anyone who has pain that might be caused by a spinal issue, I think it's a good idea to have a solid evaluation by a good orthopedic doctor or physical therapist (I'd highly recommend pushing for an MRI) before starting any program of stretching, especially stretches that cause flexion of the lower back. Pigeon pose is exactly the opposite of what you would want to do if the sciatica stems from a bulging lumbar disc. I know from first hand experience.