Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you ever painted your bike ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have you ever painted your bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 12:26 PM
Spinay70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Please don't be offended but if that is what the result of spray.bike is I sure don't like it, the first example looks like black car undercoating or rocker guard. The example of the chainstay with the splash looks much better and with a clear I am sure it would excellent. If it is a VERY durable product then I am sure it has it's place but it does not look anything close to an original job that I think the OP is after. As with the OP I am obsessive compulsive with things and more times than not causes me great anxiety. I am going to repaint because of one sag in the paint under the seat clamp bolt plus a couple mistakes with the placement of the decals. I am going to try wet sanding the decals off first but foresee a complete job.

Favorite color, looks luscious! Well done!

Spinay70
Old 06-03-19, 01:11 PM
Kenderbender

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just don’t

Anything other than powder coating a bike is useless for a daily rider that takes a normal amount of abuse. Unless you were able to bake it on (huge oven) I wouldn’t expect good results..
Old 06-04-19, 08:21 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I painted the first "10 speed" bike that I ever had (a mid-60s Schwinn Continental) and the result was completely hideous ! Many years later after I apparently forgot about that fiasco , I endeavored to paint another bike. This time I sandblasted the frame done to bare metal to remove all paint, primer and any hint of rust. I bought a can (first mistake, buy two!) of cream colored "pearl-escent" rattle can paint. After ensuring that all sandblast debris was removed and the frame was blemish free, I applied several light coats of primer and let it dry. Then I applied several light coats of the paint. Overall it looked pretty good but there were a few spots where the primer was visible through the lighter areas of coverage. Also there were a few areas that "ran". I figured that once completely dried, I could lightly sand the runs with wet or dry paper and apply a bit more paint to the light coverage areas. Went back to the store where I bought the paint and came to find that they no longer carried that brand (? obscure brand?) and the one I had bought was the last in their stock. I lived in a mostly rural area at the time and no other stores carried that brand. Long story (that needs to be shorter) is that I never did find a second can of that paint and the frame has been sitting unfinished ever since . Moral of this section is buy enough paint!

RE: the OP's dilemma of a "scratch" on the top tube magnified by his OCD variant, like Cher told Nick Cage in MOONSTRUCK "Snap out of it!"

Sovende

Last edited by sovende; 06-10-19 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 03:41 AM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I actually came up with a simple solution that is satisfactory enough (at least on the top tube). Since they're mostly fine scratches that run in a straight line along the tube (top side) , I cut a piece of transparent but kind of whitish tape (like scotch tape) and placed it on the tube and I cut both ends at an angle (just for a nicer look), and voila, can't see the scratches any more and I'm pretty satisfied BUT, I even thought of a better idea, since I have an airbrush (used for painting plastic plane models), I thought I'd paint the tape itself to give it the look of a stripe (like ones used on cars). I'll paint the outer edges of the tape and leave the middle clear. I'll probably do one red or yellow line and one white leaving the middle clear. Should look nice on a black bike. Then I might put another piece of tape on top of the painted one to protect it or just clear-coat the tape itself. I think this is a pretty cool solution. No sanding. No painting (the bike itself) and screwing everything. No chipping. None of all that headache. And I can always make another tape if need be and change the colors too. Improvisation.

I'll probably take a pic once I do that and post it.

Last edited by Solo_rider; 06-13-19 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 03:57 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 04:02 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 04:04 AM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a nice looking bike with nice color combination. The paint looks good from what I see but it is far to see any details.