Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What shoes when off of the bike?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-24-19, 08:53 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

So what shoes do you wear on tour but of of the bike?

My SPDs are pretty comfortable to walk in but I really like to get out of them off the bike. When I am touring say on the GAP and it is going to be warm and I know I will not be walking much I just take a pair of sandals. That way they double as shower sandals.

Other times, What I used to take was my New Balance athletic shoes that I wear every day. Very comfortable but bulky and heavy. Lately I have been taking a very light weight "athletic" shoe I found online. They are really more of a slipper with laces. Really comfortable for lounging but not much good for long distance walking.

This year if the cards work out right I will be doing a side trip to Rainer (via automobile) and I certainly might want to do some walking at the Columbia River Gorge and Mt Hood. I am afraid those light weight shoes could be a problem.

So what do you wear off bike?

Last edited by spinnaker; 06-25-19 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 09:19 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Same as I wear on the bike, a pair of trail runners (NB). I put Superfeet insoles in to stiffen up the sole a bit. Old tech toe clips work fine with them.

Long ago I noticed while on tour I really spend as much time off the bike during the day as on it, often walking on rocks. That's a pain at best and dangerous at worst in cleats.

Trail runners are well ventilated and dry quickly after a rain storm. In harsh, freezing conditions I carry a couple of bread bags ("Bagtex") to go over the socks inside the shoes.
Old 06-24-19, 10:15 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
For long rides I wear 5-10s. For short day trips, I'll wear outdoor trainers. Like the Merrill Crossover.
Old 06-24-19, 10:55 PM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
These. Pearl Izumi something or others. They are clipless but have tread like a normal shoe.

Old 06-24-19, 11:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I will typically wear cycling shoes but in summer time I will usually take a pair of flip-flops or I might bring a pair of Five Fingers. If I was on a longer tour that required a significant amount of walking or hiking then probably some trail runners or lightweight boots but I so rarely do that and my current Shimano XC-7 shoes are fairly comfortable off bike so long as I am not standing all day in them.
Old 06-25-19, 05:21 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Varies with the trip. Sometimes SPDs only, sometimes I take some other form of light footwear. I really used to like Cushe slipper shoes but they are no longer available. I have sometimes taken flip flops or Crocs (in a neutral gray or brown). I have taken trail runners.

The choice depends on how much hiking I plan to do and how rugged the terrain will be.

Don't forget that if all the hiking, all of the more rugged hiking, or at least most of it is concentrated in one portion of a trip you don't necessarily need to carry the shoes the whole trip. I bought a pair of trail runners in the Yosemite store just for the week there. You can buy or have a pair of shoes sent from home and send them home after just for one portion.

You could have real hiking shoes for Rainer if you want and never carry them on the bike since that part of your trip is by car. I think that is what I would do.
Old 06-25-19, 05:37 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm using Kinetarelay which slip on shoe by Saucony that weighs not very much and packs down to nothing. They are fine for walking around town but I wouldn't want to use them for hiking
Old 06-25-19, 06:38 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
So what shoes do you ware on tour but of of the bike?

My SPDs are pretty comfortable to walk in but I really like to get out of them off the bike. When I am touring say on the GAP and it is going to be warm and I know I will not be walking much I just take a pair of sandals. That way they double as shower sandals.

Other times, What I used to take was my New Balance athletic shoes that I wear every day. Very comfortable but bulky and heavy. Lately I have been taking a very light weight "athletic" shoe I found online. They are really more of a slipper with laces. Really comfortable for lounging but not much good for long distance walking.

This year if the cards work out right I will be doing a side trip to Rainer (via automobile) and I certainly might want to do some walking at the Columbia River Gorge and Mt Hood. I am afraid those light weight shoes could be a problem.

So what do you wear off bike?
it seems to me that you have answered your own question really.
I too have taken very light simple "running shoes" that were both inexpensive in price, but not really good for much walking. They were fine for what I used them for, cost me 25 canadian bucks or something at a clearance place, but the cheapness of them showed up in not having proper arch support etc, so for more walking they were not very good.
I took better quality running shoes next time and appreciated them for when I walked more.

it seems to me that its pretty simple--a more comfortable shoe to walk/hike in is just going to weigh more, and you have to evaluate what your priorities are.
I personally wouldnt take my cheap but light shoes again, unless I really was not going to be walking around much, and while I forget the diff in weight I was dealing with, probably 150-200 grams, if your feet will be more comfortable in heavier ones, so be it.
Old 06-25-19, 07:44 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I wear my Keen sandals on and off the bike. They're not perfect, but they're the best I've found. On the bike, off the bike, on a hike, walking in town, in the shower, in the river, in rain, in the mud. If it's cold, I can wear them with socks. If it's cold and wet, I wear them with waterproof socks. If it's just wet, my feet get wet. I've occasionally tried to travel with a 2nd pair of shoes. But they take up a lot of space, and my Keens get the job done most places.
Likes For Rob_E:
Old 06-25-19, 08:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Birkenstock, for the comfortable arch support .. resoled with a vibram outsole..
Old 06-25-19, 08:43 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by djb
it seems to me that you have answered your own question really.
I too have taken very light simple "running shoes" that were both inexpensive in price, but not really good for much walking. They were fine for what I used them for, cost me 25 canadian bucks or something at a clearance place, but the cheapness of them showed up in not having proper arch support etc, so for more walking they were not very good.
I took better quality running shoes next time and appreciated them for when I walked more.

it seems to me that its pretty simple--a more comfortable shoe to walk/hike in is just going to weigh more, and you have to evaluate what your priorities are.
I personally wouldnt take my cheap but light shoes again, unless I really was not going to be walking around much, and while I forget the diff in weight I was dealing with, probably 150-200 grams, if your feet will be more comfortable in heavier ones, so be it.
Actually I didn't. I am still trying to figure which to take. I know for sure I will be up at Government Camp but don't know how much walking I will do right now. The side trip to Rainer is iffy right now. It is sort of one of those if all the stars align side trips.

So don't know if I want to take the heavier more comfortable ones or the lightweight ones.
Old 06-25-19, 10:01 AM
djb

hell, just go with these

https://blog.lacordee.com/sautez-sur...dee-rebond-c6/
Old 06-26-19, 03:37 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Ditched SPD for platform pedals (Saint). I do not carry extra shoes (space consideration). I ride with Teva sandals in warm weather, and trail runners when temperatures are approaching freezing.

If I were riding with SPD shoes, I'd carry sandals or trail runners based on temperature. My preference is for sandals
Old 06-26-19, 04:04 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The same shoes I wear all of the time, because they're comfortable and work just fine for riding a bike. I'm not in a race when I'm touring...
Old 06-26-19, 08:15 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
In warm weather it's sandals, no need for two pairs of shoes. In colder weather, near and below freezing I'll wear whatever is appropriate for the conditions.
Old 06-27-19, 07:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Currently on tour with a new pair of Xero Shoes. Liking them a lot. Featherweight and pack flat.
Old 06-27-19, 07:47 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I decided to go with my cheapie light weight slipper shoes.
Old 06-27-19, 08:49 PM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nashbar cycling sandals. Spd cleats. Great all around for walking. For long hikrs I take the cleats off.
Old 06-27-19, 09:33 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Chaco

I ride in stiff carbon sole Specialized mountain bike shoes with Speedplay frog pedals. Very comfortable for biking but not great for walking much more than around a grocery store. Carry Chaco sandals for off bike use—strap on top of back rack. Great for walking or light hiking.

David
Old 06-27-19, 10:16 PM
djb

Originally Posted by riceowls
Nashbar cycling sandals. Spd cleats. Great all around for walking. For long hikrs I take the cleats off.
Removing and putting back on cleats is just asking for knee issues if not positioned well, or more likely them loosening a bit and even coming off and getting them even stuck in pedals-- I've seen it with someone and had to deal with fixing it.

One of my knees needs a particular cleat angle, same angle of cleat since 1992, so sure wouldn't want to get it right, or wrong, numerous times.
Old 07-03-19, 01:16 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Shimano XM9 and Crocs Flip Flops (not the closed sandals) The XM9s cover riding, walking and hiking and evenings. Have a good Vibram sole. I wear boots everywhere anyway. The Crocs walking around camp and they are indestructible without being huge.
Old 07-03-19, 04:54 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Back when I toured ultra light and I was ultra light kung fu slippers. Everyone’s different. Maybe you need casual dress shoes, walking shoes, light low top trail shoes.
Old 07-03-19, 05:16 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Removing and putting back on cleats is just asking for knee issues if not positioned well, or more likely them loosening a bit and even coming off and getting them even stuck in pedals-- I've seen it with someone and had to deal with fixing it.

One of my knees needs a particular cleat angle, same angle of cleat since 1992, so sure wouldn't want to get it right, or wrong, numerous times.
Nashbar Ragsters are my primary riding shoe and the only thing I use on and off the bike on my occasional 5 days. I do not remove the cleats. Mine are showing some wear with about 7500 miles on them in all seasons and conditions. I still see them on performance website, thought they went under? Hmmm. Maybe I'll buy another pair.
Old 07-05-19, 09:05 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I carried two pairs of shoes - clipless and walking - for my first couple of tours. I found it to be a pain to carry extra shoes, and I reasoned that I was not in a hurry anyway, so I could dispense with the clipless, and just wear normal shoes. I wear new Balance on and off the bike.
Old 07-09-19, 07:10 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Suspension shoes for when one is off the bike with hydraulic brakes & suspension fork!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.