Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum Racing Zero C17 Spoke

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-01-19, 05:07 PM
king_solom0n

Bikes: Fuji SL 25, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I managed to break one of the spokes on the rear wheel drive side. Maybe my Google skills suck, but I'm having a hard time finding a spoke from the US. I think the part number I need is r0-018 but it doesn't seem like anyone in the US has it. Does anyone know where I can buy these spokes or is buying from overseas my only option?
Old 08-01-19, 05:09 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Try a LBS who carries them. Or bike tires direct?
Old 08-02-19, 06:24 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Fulcrum spokes are tough to find but they do exist. My LBS replaced a spoke for me and they had to order a minimum number, can't remember how many and they weren't cheap, don't remember the price. Anyway, I had them go ahead and I'd pay. They came in a Campagnolo package.

Old 08-02-19, 07:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by king_solom0n
I managed to break one of the spokes on the rear wheel drive side. Maybe my Google skills suck, but I'm having a hard time finding a spoke from the US. I think the part number I need is r0-018 but it doesn't seem like anyone in the US has it. Does anyone know where I can buy these spokes or is buying from overseas my only option?
Try here perhaps.. but might be easier if you have (rare find) an LBS that sells Campy wheels, as they might be more likely to sell you just one spoke.

https://365cycles.com/collections/spokes/brand_fulcrum
Old 08-02-19, 07:17 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
When I had to replace a broken spoke for my Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels I contacted Campagnolo-USA directly. They are located in Carlsbad, California.

I love my Racing Zero wheels. I have the Racing Zero Ltd. Edition on the C59 and the Racing Zero Nite on the C60. They are light and the hubs are bomb-proof. But initially, sourcing the replacement spokes was a PITA...until I finally went directly to Campagnolo.

One suggestion, buy extra spokes as spares.

Good luck and ride safely.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 08-02-19, 07:19 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
I've never broken a spoke on my C-17 Zondas but the first thing I did was get a spoke kit from my local Campy dealer; same with my Bullet Ultras.

Last edited by nomadmax; 08-02-19 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 08-02-19, 10:49 AM
king_solom0n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
When I had to replace a broken spoke for my Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels I contacted Campagnolo-USA directly. They are located in Carlsbad, California.

I love my Racing Zero wheels. I have the Racing Zero Ltd. Edition on the C59 and the Racing Zero Nite on the C60. They are light and the hubs are bomb-proof. But initially, sourcing the replacement spokes was a PITA...until I finally went directly to Campagnolo.

One suggestion, buy extra spokes as spares.

Good luck and ride safely.
Thanks for the info. I contacted them and they gave me another part number (r0-118b). I can't order directly from them since they're a wholesale distributor so I'm going to have my lbs contact them to order for me.
Old 08-02-19, 12:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by king_solom0n
Thanks for the info. I contacted them and they gave me another part number (r0-118b). I can't order directly from them since they're a wholesale distributor so I'm going to have my lbs contact them to order for me.
I had some issues with the first LBS, so as an accommodation Campagnolo sold the spokes to me and shipped them to another, more helpful LBS. So i guess that was a half-half solution.

I am glad that you are going to get this sorted out. Those are great wheels.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 08-02-19, 03:47 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Be aware that replacing a spoke on a Fulcrum Racing Zero or its Campagnolo Shamal equivalent requires some special tools. You need the specific spoke wrench, you need a tool to hold the spoke to prevent it twisting while you are tightening it, you need the stub spoke that threads into the nipple so that you can use the magnet to fish the nipple through the hollow rim. If your spoke broke at the hub and not the rim you can get by without the last 2 tools. If the spoke broke off at the hub, be careful not to allow the nipple to fall into the hollow rim, you will then need the stub spoke and magnet to get it back in place

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-02-19 at 03:50 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-02-19, 05:06 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Be aware that replacing a spoke on a Fulcrum Racing Zero or its Campagnolo Shamal equivalent requires some special tools. You need the specific spoke wrench, you need a tool to hold the spoke to prevent it twisting while you are tightening it, you need the stub spoke that threads into the nipple so that you can use the magnet to fish the nipple through the hollow rim. If your spoke broke at the hub and not the rim you can get by without the last 2 tools. If the spoke broke off at the hub, be careful not to allow the nipple to fall into the hollow rim, you will then need the stub spoke and magnet to get it back in place
The tools usually come with a new wheel set. You are right, it is a tricky procedure. I think I saw a YouTube video on it.
Old 08-02-19, 05:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
The tools usually come with a new wheel set. You are right, it is a tricky procedure. I think I saw a YouTube video on it.
Yes, when I bought my Shamal 2way fit wheels years ago, the tools were included. The procedure is not as difficult as might be assumed once you learn how to do it. It is just different from the way most spokes are replaced. I was just trying to inform the OP that spoke replacement for these wheels was different from many other wheels in case they were going to do the job at home.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-02-19, 11:11 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
When replacing drive-side spokes on low-spoke wheels, it can be helpful to apply side load to the wheel adjacent to the spoke in question when tensioning it. Overtighten a tad, and true as you release tension.

This saves the wrench/nipple interface a lot of stress. Remember to mark the spoke with a bit of tape so you don't lose track of it between the floor and the stand.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-05-19, 06:03 PM
king_solom0n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Yes, when I bought my Shamal 2way fit wheels years ago, the tools were included. The procedure is not as difficult as might be assumed once you learn how to do it. It is just different from the way most spokes are replaced. I was just trying to inform the OP that spoke replacement for these wheels was different from many other wheels in case they were going to do the job at home.
Thanks for the info. I'm letting my bike shop take care of it so I'll provide the tools that came with the wheels.