Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

How to follow PBP?

Old 08-21-19, 01:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Checking Wikipedia, it looks like the second German has bagged the top spot.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-21-19 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 02:48 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I reacted poorly to sleep deprivation, but couldn't seem to actually sleep roadside while wasting my cushion of time trying (lying down for a bit did perk me up enough to ride safely into Tintineac outbound, but not at brevet speed). If I try another 1200k, I'm going to do a morning start, or have some different sort of plan -- possibly if I'd brought a dark mask and gone ahead and slept the ~2.5 hours I'd built up at Fougeres, even if it was midday, I'd have been OK for at least a while longer. Dunno.

I, too, am second-guessing my choices, but my dad emailed me after I'd sent out the "why my tracker has stopped" email and pointed out that he'd watched me ride off the road into the ditch once, and was happy I wasn't risking that again. (I passed out from dehydration on a bike ride at age 8 or 9, because I was a silly kid who didn't know much about hydration.)

Four friends have managed Charly Miller time so far, and I'm delighted for them. Several others have DNFed, and lots are still on the road and still making cutoffs.

Last edited by antimonysarah; 08-21-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 09:22 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
With a time of 43:49:47 (27.72 km/h), Hajo Eckstein stayed above the 43:32 minimum time limit (maximum average of 28 km/h).

In 2015, the minimum time limit for the then longer course was 43:56, which Björn Lenhard (42:26) did not actually comply with, but it appears his result was certified, as were the results of 14 others under the limit (perhaps because there were so many of them exceeding the maximum average speed?).

I just saw from Björn Lenhard's Strava account that this year he did it on a fixed gear (49:19 ratio). He says that was just right for the climbs but geared too low for flats and downhill.

Last edited by joewein; 08-22-19 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-22-19, 05:22 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
I googled Hajo Eckstein and he seems to like recumbents and HPVs. His frame number (F085) suggests he started in the special bike category (recumbents, velomobiles, tandems, etc). So perhaps he achieved his 43h49m time in a velomobile. I have not found any pictures from PBP yet.
Old 08-22-19, 08:31 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
I googled Hajo Eckstein and he seems to like recumbents and HPVs. His frame number (F085) suggests he started in the special bike category (recumbents, velomobiles, tandems, etc). So perhaps he achieved his 43h49m time in a velomobile. I have not found any pictures from PBP yet.
Yes, he was in a velomobile; I didn’t see him but friends did.
Old 08-22-19, 09:15 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
This article in Le Parisien says Frenchman, Robert Coquen set the fastest time in 44h47m. They mention Eckstein and his velomobile at the end of the article. You gotta' love the French.
Old 08-22-19, 10:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by kingston
This article in Le Parisien says Frenchman, Robert Coquen set the fastest time in 44h47m. They mention Eckstein and his velomobile at the end of the article. You gotta' love the French.
I actually noticed that the Paris-Brest-Paris wikipedia article was edited to name Robert as the 1st place finisher, then was subsequently edited to name Hajo.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-23-19, 04:30 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
One of our club members apparently set the fastest time out to Brest but I don't know any details about the rest of the ride, heard they were going for a sub-50 hour time.

I had a good ride, spent over 30 hours off the bike and about 10 of those were trying to aleep. I'd guess I got maybe 3 good hours in but it was enough rest for me to finish under 90h. I missed a few of the intermediate control closings, but I didn't quite get the math on those right and like one of anciens told me, and a few other that were fretting about them, that the only thing that matters is getting to the end before the 90h is up and I managed to do that.

I'm glad a lot of my basic French came back to me and I really enjoyed talking to people along the route as well as be able to thank them for all their support. I need to keep talking in French for the next four years so it comes easier for me.

The cold nights were almost too much for me and I had the right gear but left it in my drop bag in Fougeres... My rain pants and thicker gloves would have helped but I found myself heating up on every climb so it might have been too much clothing. The jacket I bought is too old and no longer wind or water resistant so it's time to get something new.

I had a couple low points in those cold mornings where I thought about quitting but got lucky to be able to push through those and finish. Having a. Airbnb in Loudeac cost me some time but having two proper showers and two naps in a bed was helpful. I'm glad I had the drop bags from Baxter's too, they were exactly where they said and right on the course but I forgot to stop at the Carhaix one on the way out and had to carry an extra dirty kit with me from Loudeac too Fougeres.

PBP is really in a league of it's own compared to the North American 1200s.The scenery was nice but also a bit repetitive, I did enjoy the Carhaix-Brest section the most.
Likes For clasher:
Old 08-23-19, 04:37 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
@clasher - well done & congratulations on a successful completion! Was this your first PBP?
Old 08-23-19, 05:01 AM
clasher

Thanks! It was my first time. I think I would like to do it again but with a better plan and a support driver. Get some hotels booked and try for a more civilized ride. Going to Loudeac might have pushes me as bit too much. I also thought doing support for a small group would be a different kind of fun.
Likes For clasher:
Old 08-23-19, 05:42 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I actually noticed that the Paris-Brest-Paris wikipedia article was edited to name Robert as the 1st place finisher, then was subsequently edited to name Hajo.
I think both should be listed on the Wikipedia article. Not to take anything away from Eckstein's accomplishment as the overall fastest finisher, but I wanted to know who the first upright finisher was which led me to the Le Parisien article. Now that velos are getting lighter, they have a fairly significant advantage over uprights on that rolling course.
Old 08-23-19, 08:51 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Congratulations @clasher !!

Anyways, thought I'd share some pictures I took before the ride.

First sign of PBP once you get into Rambouillet

This is what you get if you paid for the 12 Euro sleep package

The Château de Rambouillet

Just outside the gates of the starting point

Bike check-in area

Pick up documents and brevet card here; the tower in front is the baggage drop building

A lake by the Château de Rambouillet

Gated bike parking area outside the check-in and document pick-up area

Some random local park that my GPS brought me to the first time I tried riding to Rambouillet

Uh... beware of flying deer?
Likes For atwl77:
Old 08-23-19, 09:01 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Congratulations @clasher!
RUSA #7498
Old 08-23-19, 09:17 AM
clasher

Thanks y'all! And congrats @atwl77 you had a much nicer bike check than the 80/90 hour folks. Did you sleep at any of the controls?
Old 08-23-19, 09:34 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

You can find your official photos from this site, but they are very expensive to order:
https://www.maindruphoto.com/en/even...neur-2019.html

Originally Posted by clasher
@atwl77 you had a much nicer bike check than the 80/90 hour folks. Did you sleep at any of the controls?
Technically, yes, since I did sleep at Villaines after my DNF there.
Not very nice though, plain foam "mattress", no pillow, but at least a decent blanket. Slightly warm water for the shower though, which was nice.
Old 08-23-19, 10:06 AM
clasher

Ah **** didnt realise you DNF'd. I heard there were a lot on the first day on account of the headwinds. Villaines was a nice control, I didn't go to the restaurant on the way out but on the return I did and it was the one with the kids that carry your tray! And they had this really good local beer there too
Old 08-23-19, 10:32 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by kingston
I think both should be listed on the Wikipedia article. Not to take anything away from Eckstein's accomplishment as the overall fastest finisher, but I wanted to know who the first upright finisher was which led me to the Le Parisien article. Now that velos are getting lighter, they have a fairly significant advantage over uprights on that rolling course.
I agree. If all of the previous first place finishes were on upright bikes, it would be good to keep that continuity, and then have a separate record for special bikes like they do the hour record. Perhaps this is the first time it's happened? Going back in the thread a little, I wonder if ACP will also have to reconsider their minimum time limit since so many people beat it this year. It wouldn't play well to throw them all out.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-23-19, 10:35 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Tangentially, I think they'll need to step up the bike inspections pretty soon. My inspection in 2015 was surprisingly cursory, but electric motors and batteries are getting smaller and easier to hide.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-23-19, 11:14 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Here's the video of my PBP experience:

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Tangentially, I think they'll need to step up the bike inspections pretty soon. My inspection in 2015 was surprisingly cursory, but electric motors and batteries are getting smaller and easier to hide.
Hmm, if they do that I also hope they step up on the conditions. Standing out in the rain while waiting for thousands of riders to complete their check is no fun (not that I experienced it since the 84h was much quicker), but I was there the previous day and it was cold. And wet.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 08-23-19, 11:20 AM
clasher

I think the bike inspections are more about safety than looking for motors or stuff like that. The dude that did mine just checked the brakes, made sure the lights worked then did a little drop test to see if anything fell off. I saw a lot of riders with really bad lights; hidden by bags, pointing at the ground, or worse pointing up at riders eyes. Saw a few blinkies going too... I can't imagine how much work it would be to set up more rigorous exams for 6600 bikes.
Old 08-23-19, 11:40 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
@atwl77 - thanks for sharing that video! You did a really nice job on it and nice choice of background music. So sorry you weren't able to complete the whole ride. Wishing you all the best for PBP 2023!

So has anyone figured out what the flying deer signs are supposed to mean??
Old 08-23-19, 12:29 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
@atwl77 - thanks for sharing that video! You did a really nice job on it and nice choice of background music. So sorry you weren't able to complete the whole ride. Wishing you all the best for PBP 2023!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
So has anyone figured out what the flying deer signs are supposed to mean??
I wonder if it was just someone's practical joke. I came across several deer signs along the D906 but that was the only one with the wings...
Old 08-23-19, 01:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Just finished watching your video, @atwl77. I thought it was well made, and you seem to have the right perspective on how things went.

I was way underdressed for much of PBP 2015, I didn't realize how chilly it would get overnight, and I was out there with just regular bike shorts and a jersey. I was able to buy some leg and arm warmers along the way, but I basically kept moving all night to stay warm enough. If it had rained earlier in the course, I might well have DNF'd too.
I wonder if it was just someone's practical joke. I came across several deer signs along the D906 but that was the only one with the wings...
Here in the States, a bunch of pedestrian crossing signs have been modified similarly.

RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-23-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 01:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by clasher
I think the bike inspections are more about safety than looking for motors or stuff like that. The dude that did mine just checked the brakes, made sure the lights worked then did a little drop test to see if anything fell off. I saw a lot of riders with really bad lights; hidden by bags, pointing at the ground, or worse pointing up at riders eyes. Saw a few blinkies going too... I can't imagine how much work it would be to set up more rigorous exams for 6600 bikes.
Oh, definitely. And those volunteers have plenty to do already. I just worry that at some point, people resorting to hidden motors to "win" will ruin what is supposed to be a purely human-powered ride. I don't know what the right answer is.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-23-19, 03:09 PM
clasher

I enjoyed the video too, I hope you come back and finish the next one. The cold was worse than what we had a couple weeks ago in the north part of our province. I got lucky and never had to ride through any rain. The cold fog overnight was almost as bad as rain though.

I've seen flying deer signs in other places, I think they get attention better. I've seen many deer signs with red noses painted on them around here.

Last edited by clasher; 08-23-19 at 03:19 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.