Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Any of you convert a mountain bike into a cruiser?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 08-22-19, 02:33 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

So.... I have a Schwinn Del Mar that is about 10 years old that when I ride it feels real good, dimension wise. It was actually my wife's bike but my daughter and I started riding it this year. We cleaned it up together. Well, being on a super tight budget we added 3 more bikes so all of us in our family could ride at once. Me, wife, son and daughter.

Well, the last two bikes I got were mountain bikes because they're so prevalent. I mean you can't look left or right without seeing one. My daughter seems to like the forward lean so hers is staying a mountain bike set up. Although she got a more cruiser like seat for it cuz it was more comfortable.

But the rest of us like an upright seating position. We got my wife a Schwinn Sanctuary for a pretty good deal and then the last bike I acquired for 15 was a mountain bike.

I'm basically working on turning it into a cruiser. It's a Schwinn Hurricane and I think it was made in the mid 90's . The handlebars on this one are more upright than some but I still want them a bit higher. And it needs a new, cruiser type seat.

I do notice that the frames on these bikes might put the pedals a little more under you. Or basically it looks like cruiser frames have a bit more angle to the upright bar that the seat is on that helps put the pedals more in front of the body. The difference between this hurricane mtb and my del mar is minimal but it's there. Maybe an inch or so. But I don't think that's a huge issue. Just makes it feel a little less reclined.

Anyways.... I'd be interested to see if there are any other folks out there who acquired a mountain bike on the cheap and then converted to a cruiser and how you feel it turned out. I can get pics up of mine as soon as I'm allowed to. I have not done a lot to it yet other than a really good cleaning. And I eliminated the front derailleur because the mechanism on the handlebar that changes the gears was not working and I don't think I can fix it. So I just put the chain on the middle sprocket and it feels just right. Actually I had it on the largest one for a bit but that was too high of gearing. So basically it's now a 6 speed. I put new tires on it because the old ones were super cracked. I'm not sure they'd qualify as cruiser tires but I liked the tread on them, but they're not super wide or tall.. 1.95 Schwinn comfort tire. It's got like a dual purpose tread which I like a lot.

Now I just have to see if I can get these brake handles off the old bars and if I'll need to run new wires for the brakes and gears. I would rather not so I don't think I'll go much higher and wider than the ones on there now. The handlebars on there are like a hybrid and have some rise and angle back a bit but I'd like a bit more rise to them.
Old 08-22-19, 03:31 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts

I turned my Hardrock into a Cruiser . Changed the stem for a higher one and added riser bars to it . Fairly comfortable bike to ride . Puts my weight more on my saddle than my hands . I couldn’t ride more than a mile with pressure on my hands because of arthritis. Using gel grips and riding gloves helps some . They still go numb on me and ache but I’m not giving up my riding ..
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-22-19, 03:33 PM
OldCruiser

Swapped the nobbies for Kenda 1.9” city tires . And added a Brooks b17 Imperial saddle .
I’m thinking of trying to fit my set of 2.5” Maxxis Hookworms on this one if they’ll fit .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-23-19, 06:59 AM
SHOFINE

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
I started converting my Sawyer right after picking it up from the store. Here it is the day I picked it up.

I'm loving my most recent conversion to 650b+ with 2.8" Schwalbe Super Motos! Sporting a Brooks Flyer and a Shimano Alfine 8 spd hub with On-One Mary Handlebars. Brakes have been upgraded to Shimano 615 Deore.

Last edited by SHOFINE; 08-23-19 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 08:58 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i guess more city bike than cruiser, but i'm playing with the project now.

a group of fuji/marlboro folding mountain bikes. two of them with get more cruiser like drivetrains. a two speed (sram automatix is what i want, but kickback or shifter if i come across one) and a coaster brake 3 speed but with studded tires for winter.

i posted a pic years back. i'll try to repost it.

Last edited by Philphine; 08-23-19 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 09:14 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
well, photobucket is back in hostage mode, but here is the thread in folding bikes with the frames i'm using

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...tb-does-4.html

the one i posted in this thread isn't one with cruiser wheels. it's an older thread and i just got the latest frames to try it.
Old 08-23-19, 02:10 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Schwinn at one time built this kind of bike called a Nue Citi. Schwinn's first first try at a hybrid bike. Sort of a mountain bike with smooth tires. Doesn't ride to bad. Roger

Likes For rhenning:
Old 08-23-19, 04:26 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Some nice bikes in here!!!!

This is the one I'm working on in progress. I still need a good seat and different handlebars. These bars are really close though. I have the quill stem up as far as probably safe. For some reason that one doesn't have a line on it showing where to not go past. I guess I'll have to measure and make my own line. Someone said at least 2" is a good idea. I could maybe get a different quill stem and use these bars....

I also was trying to see if the grips will come off but they're on there pretty good. Might have to spray some wd40 under them.

Last edited by 3S1M; 08-23-19 at 04:31 PM.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 08-23-19, 05:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
No, but then again I have eight cruisers/antiques.
Old 08-23-19, 05:42 PM
OldCruiser

Quote “I also was trying to see if the grips will come off but they're on there pretty good. Might have to spray some wd40 under them. “
use Windex , it’ll help them slip off and when dry won’t leave a slippery film ,
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-24-19, 10:44 AM
3S1M

Thank you. I can try that.
Old 08-24-19, 11:16 AM
cambiker71

Bikes: lots, new old and in between!

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Sort of, single speed conversion on mine, then put muduards on it cos it rains lots here in the UK and now a dyno front hub and lights too, I ride it a lot cos it's comfortable...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20190823-080630.jpg (225.8 KB, 995 views)
Old 09-01-19, 09:43 PM
Iron Horse

Bikes: Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
Two tips for getting your handgrips off.
1. Use an air nozzle and a screw driver. Wedge up on the lip of the handgrip with the screwdriver use the nozzle to blow the hand grip off, and
2. Find an open end wrench just big enough to fit over the handle bar. Place the wrench on the handlebar in front of the hand grip, and give it a wack with a rubber mallet. The shock of the wrench hitting the hand grip causes it to balloon up, and usually two or so smacks, the grip flies right off.
Likes For Iron Horse:
Old 09-02-19, 09:22 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
For old rock hard grips that you know are going straight to the trash, I've simply cut them off with a utility knife. One slit along the bottom side of the grip, and it's free.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-03-19, 09:17 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
My e-tandem looks more cruiser-based than MTB-based, yet is based on a bonafide downhill MTB.

The main frame is a shortened GT Quatrefoil MTB tandem but is a full-bouncer thanks to a GT STS rear frame and 140mm air forks. It also has disc brakes and there's no huge handlebars, so it's amazing what a set of cruiser fenders and tyres can do!

On the tandem i've used 50mm wide supermoto rims but it wasn't always a tandem - it's previous incarnation was as a GT LTS-3 and that ran 19mm rims...

They evolved from my old manual Merlin, which was every bit a cross between a cruiser and an MTB, though it was a woman's road bike when i bought it!

Old 09-04-19, 06:20 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
That Merlin is fantastic, @MikeyMK!
Old 09-04-19, 10:54 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
That Merlin is fantastic, @MikeyMK!
Thanks - Was a bit fussy by then though, I'd previously ran it in this simpler V-brake form, cream tyres...

But it's always gonna ride like a hybrid MTB at best unless you use a lay-back seat post and vastly swept-back bars.

Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 09-05-19, 12:24 AM
jan230
Old Rider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 78 Posts
Quill stem adapter and BMX stem and bars on my '90's MTB
Likes For jan230:
Old 09-14-19, 04:55 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Old 09-14-19, 08:38 PM
3S1M

Some great bikes and pictures in here. Thanks for the responses!!!
Old 11-18-19, 05:41 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
The KENDA K-838 tire at $14.41 each with Free Shipping is the best tire on the market in my opinion that will turn your mountain-bike into a hybrid-road going cruiser that will do everything well IF YOUR RIDING WILL BE DONE ON PAVED ROADS! You won't find a better tire at any price, as the K-838 from KENDA provides a very comfortable soft ride. You will also find that your Mountain Bike will be significantly faster on paved roads with these K-838 tires than with Knobbies or traditional tread cruiser style tires. My 71 year old brother-in-law installed these on his lightweight hardtail Nishiki mountain bike back in early 2018.
He has ridden this K-838 equipped Nishiki in two triathlons, one in 2018 and one, just a couple of months ago in 2019. He was not slow, and was very competitive considering he was riding upright and not using a specific tri competition bike as he had in prior years. At 71, he feels that riding a purpose built, highly modified Nishiki
mountain bike, riding on K-838 Kenda slicks, is better for him and his hands and arms.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KENDA-04700...6fc5:g:AGgAAOS
(**see #254420545477 on the bay**)
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 11-18-19, 05:57 PM
3S1M

That's a decent price for sure. Downright cheap. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-18-19, 06:04 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
The KENDA K-838 tire at $14.41 each with Free Shipping is the best tire on the market in my opinion that will turn your mountain-bike into a hybrid-road going cruiser that will do everything well IF YOUR RIDING WILL BE DONE ON PAVED ROADS! You won't find a better tire at any price, as the K-838 from KENDA provides a very comfortable soft ride. You will also find that your Mountain Bike will be significantly faster on paved roads with these K-838 tires than with Knobbies or traditional tread cruiser style tires. My 71 year old brother-in-law installed these on his lightweight hardtail Nishiki mountain bike back in early 2018.
He has ridden this K-838 equipped Nishiki in two triathlons, one in 2018 and one, just a couple of months ago in 2019. He was not slow, and was very competitive considering he was riding upright and not using a specific tri competition bike as he had in prior years. At 71, he feels that riding a purpose built, highly modified Nishiki
mountain bike, riding on K-838 Kenda slicks, is better for him and his hands and arms.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KENDA-04700001-Kenda-Slick-K-838-Tire-26X1-95/254420545477?epid=809947336&hash=item3b3ca56fc5:g:AGgAAOS
(**see #254420545477 on the bay**)
Excellent pavement tires that happen to be cheap. I've bought 2 pairs of those over the past year with Giant's branding on them. Love 'em.
Old 11-19-19, 12:05 PM
3S1M

Only thing is I've been riding in the snow and I think more tread is warranted. Cruiser tires have done well so far.
Old 11-19-19, 07:27 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by 3S1M
Only thing is I've been riding in the snow and I think more tread is warranted. Cruiser tires have done well so far.
Good point. Snow and ice is so rare down here, I forget to consider it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.