Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stilly saddle adjustment.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 08:09 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts

How am I supposed to adjust this saddle if the "stop" marks are only as far apart at the clamp? Is the edge of the clamp not my reference point?

Saddle is a Selle Italia on a random post from the 90s.

Old 09-17-19, 08:29 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I would use the upper "clamp" as the edge but that still leaves you with little adjustment. Assuming the bike is a good fit for you and not the reason for a strange saddle fit cheating is possible, but if you are not a light weight a rail can fail. Knowing lawyers help design the safety margins/factors on every thing these days from what I have seen of saddle failures the worst outcome would be a long ride standing or walking. A replacement non-weight weenie saddle with stronger rails might help some as well.
Old 09-17-19, 08:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I prefer Selle Italia so that's a familiar issue. I weigh 150 so I'm not worried about going past those limit marks. I set the saddle to suit myself. The marks are just a reference for repeating the setting if I swap saddles. And I use blue masking tape to mark my preferred position.

I've set my saddle forward past the limit marks on one bike with 58cm frame, and behind the limit marks on another with 56cm frame. No problems with either.

Saddle rail failure seems pretty uncommon. The only newer saddles I've read about bending were some Selle Anatomicas, possibly when buyers ignored SA's weight guidelines for saddle selection and didn't buy the appropriate Clydesdale saddle. I'd be very surprised if my Selle Italia, Bontrager or Selle San Marco saddle rails bent under my middleweight butt.
Old 09-17-19, 08:54 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I suspect that if either end of the clamp is within the marked area, you are good to go. They may be trying to indicate that a portion of the clamp needs to be within the marked area an not outside of it.
Old 09-17-19, 10:41 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I suspect that if either end of the clamp is within the marked area, you are good to go. They may be trying to indicate that a portion of the clamp needs to be within the marked area an not outside of it.
I wondered the same thing, but otoh, I can’t picture a post where the entire clamp would fit outside those marks on either end.
Fwiw the only rail My 155# ever broke was an alloy one on a Concor Superleggera. And I wasn’t the original owner so I have no idea what it went through in the past.
Old 09-17-19, 01:48 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup, I prefer Selle Italia so that's a familiar issue. I weigh 150 so I'm not worried about going past those limit marks. I set the saddle to suit myself. The marks are just a reference for repeating the setting if I swap saddles. And I use blue masking tape to mark my preferred position.

I've set my saddle forward past the limit marks on one bike with 58cm frame, and behind the limit marks on another with 56cm frame. No problems with either.

Saddle rail failure seems pretty uncommon. The only newer saddles I've read about bending were some Selle Anatomicas, possibly when buyers ignored SA's weight guidelines for saddle selection and didn't buy the appropriate Clydesdale saddle. I'd be very surprised if my Selle Italia, Bontrager or Selle San Marco saddle rails bent under my middleweight butt.
Thank you for your feedback. I've been 155 my entire adult life so you and I should have similar results. This has become my saddle of choice because of its comfort but it's the first modern saddle I've ever used so those markings had me concerned. Actual riding position prefers the saddle be pushed back another 1/4 inch.