Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 09-26-19, 01:56 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I don't know. Peleton is the only at home fitness bike that I've seen people actually use. (People, not cyclists.) I think the big draw is the subscription service, which gives people guided workouts and spin class from their homes. My sister in law has one and uses it daily. And when not using the bike, she sometimes does the yoga or weight sessions.
For people who do spin a lot, and given so much of it is HIIT, do people plateau quickly? I often wonder about this because my wife has been going to spin classes (despite having a road bike at home and access to a number of trainers) and trying to do triathlons, and she's stuck as a 10mph average rider. I've learned to keep my trap shut, she has made it clear she doesn't want my mansplaining, even though I have some years of training experience lol (I'm assuming she thinks I mansplain it, she never told me that directly).
Old 09-26-19, 04:37 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Peloton closed down 11%. Obviously, the institutions that purchased the shares for the IPO price are not happy. Generally, IPOs are priced to pop 10% or more to the upside. We will see how it does.

I met a couple on the New Zealand bike tour that were avid Peloton users. Both had subscriptions and the guy had a Peloton bike at work. He races and does quite well and used the subscription service for training. What he described as the training plans seemed reasonable.

Maybe my wife and I are outliers. We like to ride and train outdoors but will train on the trainer if outside is not available. And we like to go to the gym and get out of the house. We like the energy of a gym with real people versus a computer screen. And that is not a slam on technology just a personal preference.
Old 09-27-19, 06:55 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
To be fair, Hermes, you also live in Southern California, where one can ride outdoors pretty much year round. Those of us who live in areas that have real winters do not have that luxury. So, indoor training is a necessity. And for some people, Peloton fills that need. I prefer a basic trainer, intervals and TV shows. Others like Zwift, and I do believe you can run Zwift on a Peloton - though I assume that doesn't help with Peloton's subscription rates.

I will add that one of the Peloton instructors is an accomplished track racer.
Old 09-27-19, 07:04 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I just got back from Disney, and the resort I stayed in had technogym bikes. They also have subscription services. I don't have a subscription, and paradoxically Disney didn't have a guest one, so I just used manual mode. It was sort of cool, since it had power, which felt somewhat accurate. At the end of a workout it showed a power chart of the whole thing, so I have some record of what I did over my four 1 hour workouts.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-27-19, 12:49 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
To be fair, Hermes, you also live in Southern California, where one can ride outdoors pretty much year round. Those of us who live in areas that have real winters do not have that luxury. So, indoor training is a necessity. And for some people, Peloton fills that need. I prefer a basic trainer, intervals and TV shows. Others like Zwift, and I do believe you can run Zwift on a Peloton - though I assume that doesn't help with Peloton's subscription rates.

I will add that one of the Peloton instructors is an accomplished track racer.
I'll have you know its 62 and drizzling right now. My Lightweight Polo Fleece Hoodie is soaking through.
Old 09-27-19, 01:21 PM
topflightpro

Wow, 62 and drizzling sounds amazing right now. It's still 90 and humid and we haven't had rain in several weeks.
Old 09-27-19, 02:02 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'll have you know its 62 and drizzling right now. My Lightweight Polo Fleece Hoodie is soaking through.
On my ride this AM, I got some mist on my glasses and was hit by a few drops of rain. Just awful.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-27-19, 10:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uc...Be7wfLtmc7wx7Q

This is unreal.
Old 09-30-19, 08:51 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I haven't felt this good about American Cycling for a long time. Six medals including three gold, and the team was dominant in the Juniors races. The Junior Mens race was a clinic, at one point (7:05 in the video) 3 Americans broke off and Simmons was yelling at them like a boss. I really like Simmons, I don't think this win was a fluke. Jastrab and Dygert Owen may be the 2 best talents in Women's cycling, Garrison and McNulty should be getting their shot soon.

IMO, I'd expect more of this. NICA is a game changer and Junior Development have made huge leaps. Just locally we can see it. Our group rides went from 5% under 23 to 50% just in the past 4 years.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 09-30-19, 08:59 AM
topflightpro

Been submitting medical bills and insurance claims to USAC for my crash back in August. The third-party administrator for this is not instilling much confidence in me.
Old 09-30-19, 02:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
I'm having this annoying issue with my Ptap G3 where it reads non-zero (1-30 w) when coasting. I've tried all the obvious stuff (battery, pairing to different head units etc) to no avail. I've had this issue before actually (different hub) and it was resolved by sending it in for calibration service.

I sent this one in to Sram/Quarq (new owners) and when I received it back it still had the same problem.... This will be fun. We'll see what kind of customer service I get and how they propose to solve the problem. I've spent $200 on this calibration service already and don't really want to spend any more; the ball is in their court. I've got a month before I want to begin training in earnest so I'll be patient - for now.
Old 09-30-19, 02:35 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm having this annoying issue with my Ptap G3 where it reads non-zero (1-30 w) when coasting. I've tried all the obvious stuff (battery, pairing to different head units etc) to no avail. I've had this issue before actually (different hub) and it was resolved by sending it in for calibration service.

I sent this one in to Sram/Quarq (new owners) and when I received it back it still had the same problem.... This will be fun. We'll see what kind of customer service I get and how they propose to solve the problem. I've spent $200 on this calibration service already and don't really want to spend any more; the ball is in their court. I've got a month before I want to begin training in earnest so I'll be patient - for now.
What kind of tubes are you rocking? I had an issue with my Vector 2's not reading because I was running latex tubes. The electrostatic potential between the rubber of the tire and the latex tube was creating a charge in the wheel and drivetrain that was causing havoc in the strain gauges. I could even get an electric arch from the metal rim to the drum while sprinting on my rollers. Pretty cool, but I ended up switching back to butyl tubes, which solved the issue completely.
Old 09-30-19, 02:54 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I'm having this annoying issue with my Ptap G3 where it reads non-zero (1-30 w) when coasting. I've tried all the obvious stuff (battery, pairing to different head units etc) to no avail.
You should know from your ICP-MS experience that calibration blanks are never perfectly zero (unless you cheat and use forcing which is wrong). A measured 1W "blank" should be considered acceptable (dark current/ thermal noise etc.); 30W not so much...

Mine often reads 1W, I ignore it.
Old 09-30-19, 04:07 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Given Quarq's rather s***e track record, I wouldn't expect much

I was one of the early adopters who noticed issues with offset drifts in the wet, though mine weren't as serious as those experienced by others (2 Nm, as opposed to the 5 or even 10 Nm drift, which represents 100 Watts at 95 rpm). Quarq did just about f*** all and kept on punting on the issue. I think it was well into 2015 that they finally found a solution to the issue, a good three years after my initial issue.

I'd have expected Saris to do more, but they no longer own Powertap...
Old 09-30-19, 05:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Thanks for the replies guys. @Cypress this is a training wheel so I'm running regular butyl tubes. @Enthalpic I'm well aware of the non-perfect/non-zero nature of blanks.... Even for a non-interfering, low background, low ionization potential element like Cadmium (we do quantum dots), I'm getting 1-10 cps in the blank, and like 20,000 at 1 ppb. So we can see verrrrrry low .

I sent Quarq a video of my coasting down and reading 20-25w (3s power) for like 15 seconds. I've been a heavy G3 user for about 5 years and there is def. something wrong with my hub. Also thanks for the personal testimony @echappist, dismal as though it may be. I'm pretty pissed that I spent $200 to fix a problem that didn't get fixed. I'll be civil for now but will be escalating this by whatever means necessary. I emailed on Friday and have not heard back yet, so I'll be calling in tomorrow.
Old 09-30-19, 08:32 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I was going to post this in the Music Status thread, as that was the topic, or music playback.
I think these old fat guys have more in common with the 33 than 41 give or take 50#.
They compete. They compete on forums, and with stuff. So we (other poster and I) called them out and said bring your stuff and let's see.
It was close to a reality show cook off, but we had stuff that brought the neighborhood out and folks driving 6 hours to get here. The mailman came in.
15 or so of us (Audio guys) posters all showed up at my garage and listened to some interesting stuff. And there was stuff. I invited @Hermes.

Maybe BF guys meet at races, so no meeting needed. Anyway, it was so similar, I decided to post. The general conclusion when it comes to the best audio stuff - it depends.

Last edited by Doge; 09-30-19 at 08:37 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 09-30-19, 08:42 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I haven't felt this good about American Cycling for a long time. Six medals including three gold, and the team was dominant in the Juniors races. The Junior Mens race was a clinic, at one point (7:05 in the video) 3 Americans broke off and Simmons was yelling at them like a boss. I really like Simmons, I don't think this win was a fluke. Jastrab and Dygert Owen may be the 2 best talents in Women's cycling, Garrison and McNulty should be getting their shot soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IshBZ-2s0b4.

IMO, I'd expect more of this. NICA is a game changer and Junior Development have made huge leaps. Just locally we can see it. Our group rides went from 5% under 23 to 50% just in the past 4 years.
The youth wave is real. The LUX coach had them riding as a team.

When you met me - that was the 1st year start.

Would there be a gold without Magnus? Anyway, team vs no team makes a huge difference.

I still am reserved on what we will see at age 25. The 2015 USA juniors won the UCI Nations Cup (were more dominant than this batch taking 2nd). It is different.
Still, it is exciting.
Likes For Doge:
Old 10-01-19, 06:47 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Thanks for the replies guys. @Cypress this is a training wheel so I'm running regular butyl tubes. @Enthalpic I'm well aware of the non-perfect/non-zero nature of blanks.... Even for a non-interfering, low background, low ionization potential element like Cadmium (we do quantum dots), I'm getting 1-10 cps in the blank, and like 20,000 at 1 ppb. So we can see verrrrrry low .
That is outstanding. Although unless you need high throughput 1000cps/ppb is plenty to get good results - just crank up the integration time and number of reads.

I tune for stability not sensitivity; I'm not re-tuning everyday.

Let's see your As75 blank cps in high chloride matrix #MS geeks
Old 10-01-19, 07:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Signed up for Sunday's race. Should be fun. Just going to try to improve a few spots from last time.

I am a bit disappointed to miss tonight's last "WNW" ride. After this it's only about 10 of us that keep it going at a chill pace through the dark months. But, I need to use my free evening to do some cross practice. I'll grab a beer after with everyone.

I still think I lack a bit of discipline with nailing workouts versus getting too excitable and trying for something I'm not ready for. Challenges are fine, but if you can't finish 3x10 at 300..........why try 3x8 at 310? Patience young padawan. Learn the ways of the force you must.

Lol, it was fun and interesting to do that workout of 3x8's in Zwift flat Richmond though. There's some wicked strong folks on Zwift. But, the generic riding public I encounter on Zwift seem to always be really really really slow. Like tottering in groups at like 120w or something. That's perfectly cool. I do get passed like I'm standing still also. I just thought the ratio of super fast folks would have been higher. They probably all race, lol.

I need to check the schedules better and see if there's some group workouts around my lunch hour. No race, not going to try that with only ERG mode on the gym bike. That would be a disaster "more more more! crap, less less".
Old 10-01-19, 07:34 AM
topflightpro

Have you added anything to your bars recently?

Several years ago, I bought a cheap out-front mount for a Go-Pro camera. For whatever reason, it created interference between my SRM and PC8, and the power numbers were all wonky. Strangely enough, if I used a Garmin, the power numbers were fine.

Also, I'll second the comments from Chappy about Quarq. I went through three Quarqs in 18 months before giving up and buying an SRM. I kept sending it in, they fixed it, then it would break again. On the other hand, my wife has had two Quarqs that have had zero issues. The only difference is mine was a 130 bcd and hers was 110. Not sure how that factors in, but I've heard similar complaints from folks with 130s.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-01-19, 08:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
That is outstanding. Although unless you need high throughput 1000cps/ppb is plenty to get good results - just crank up the integration time and number of reads.

I tune for stability not sensitivity; I'm not re-tuning everyday.

Let's see your As75 blank cps in high chloride matrix #MS geeks
Yeah, signal stability is much more important for us as well, since our products are tested at ppm or mg/mL level and diluted serially before testing. I haven't messed much with Arsenic, although I'm aware of the Ar+Cl inteference. Is it as simple as pressurizing a collision cell with He?

#chemistrygeekstatusthread
Old 10-01-19, 09:37 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Going to Daytona Beach the week of Christmas and was hoping to get a ride in one day..anyone know of any good bike shops that do rentals? I've found one so far that rents lower end treks
Old 10-01-19, 12:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
[old man rant]
Entered our company's lottery for training camp with the pro team. Won't win. There's a zillion sales people or whatever that "count" as employees. So your chances among the normal headcount is effectively zero.

So 300lb Jed from Arizona will probably win along with a dozen other people who haven't touched a bike since they were 10 years old.

[/old man rant]
Old 10-01-19, 01:57 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Is it as simple as pressurizing a collision cell with He?
Yep.

Iirc slightly hotter plasma can help cut down on polyatomics too, but it's not really worth increasing the power for.
Old 10-01-19, 02:06 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Yeah, signal stability is much more important for us as well, since our products are tested at ppm or mg/mL level and diluted serially before testing.
ICP-OES would be a great choice, much lower instrument maintenance and technician labour than ICP-MS (you can throw high dissolved salts through it without fouling cones and therefore skip manual dilutions). ICP-OES is great, I only used the ICP-MS when the client needed very low-level, As,Pb,Se, and U results.
Likes For Enthalpic:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.