Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stan's No Tubes DART tubeless repair widget

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-08-19, 03:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts

This is a little different than most of the other plugs, which are mini versions of either the sticky ropes for car tires or the mushroom plugs for motorcycles. It's a little plastic harpoon that drags some rubber feathers into the hole. The feathers have a chemical on their surface that kicks off the latex sealant. Aaand the handle is a valve core tool.

My reaction is a pretty even mix of giggle and want-to-buy. My flats since going tubeless have all been due to letting sealant go dry, not any due to a failure of the tire that would need a patch, but I know it could happen. I'd much rather carry this thingy than a plus size tube

https://www.notubes.com/dart-tool
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-08-19, 04:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
as long as the debris is not floating inside the tire, that could be a better quick 'back on the road' repair. Otherwise, you'll be harpooning the tire every time the shrapnel rears itself from the inside again & again.
Old 10-08-19, 05:13 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
That looks pretty cool. I carry a Dynaplug and have used it once, it is still in my tire holding fine. It has a similar insertion tool and tip (although brass I think), but no barbs. Reacting with the sealant? Not sure how much that matters, but it is interesting.