Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Prostatitis

Old 10-06-19, 11:44 AM
celestebianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prostatitis

Prostatitis requires 6 weeks of antibiotics. Please tell me there is no relationship to road biking, My wife has been trying to get rid of my bike for 40 years. I am now just starting to find time for long rides! Thank you.
Old 10-06-19, 12:09 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
One of the moderators will surely move this post to "pills and ills" at the top of the page. If you check there you will find several posts about prostate problems.
Old 10-06-19, 04:09 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by celestebianchi
Prostatitis requires 6 weeks of antibiotics. Please tell me there is no relationship to road biking, My wife has been trying to get rid of my bike for 40 years. I am now just starting to find time for long rides! Thank you.
As @VegasTriker points out, this will (and should) be moved to Pills & Ills, but ... no, there is no relationship between prostatitis and cycling. I've suffered from this condition on/off since my '30s (now 68), and have been told by several urologists that there is no causal relationship whatsoever.

There are many 'triggers', depending on the individual, but 'cycling' is not one of them.
Old 10-07-19, 09:07 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think the only connection is that having a saddle stuck up there may exacerbate the symptoms. But biking doesn't cause. it. Follow Doc Campbell's (Hee Haw) advice: If it hurts, don't do it.
Old 10-08-19, 06:40 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 4,615 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
One of the moderators will surely move this post to "pills and ills" at the top of the page. If you check there you will find several posts about prostate problems.
Yep.

Old 10-08-19, 07:40 AM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
If you are over 60, be careful of Cipro, and Levaquin. (sp). These are known to cause tendonitis, and I have experienced this. Ask your doc if antibiotics are truly necessary. I know it's a painful issue, but question whether these are actually bacterial infections. They throw Cipro at these like candy. Feel better. I personally think biking can aggravate the pain, but isn't likely caused by riding.
Old 10-09-19, 05:59 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by 355Mono
If you are over 60, be careful of Cipro, and Levaquin. (sp). These are known to cause tendonitis, and I have experienced this. Ask your doc if antibiotics are truly necessary. I know it's a painful issue, but question whether these are actually bacterial infections. They throw Cipro at these like candy. Feel better. I personally think biking can aggravate the pain, but isn't likely caused by riding.
Even worse than tendonitis see link ---

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safet...ne-antibiotics

Last year's surgery I had for a recurrence of my Prostate Cancer my Dr. walks in to say hello before I got wheeled into O.R. and a very quick glance at a bag of antibio for injection during my procedure raised a red flag immediately to him. He quickly told a nurse to change it to something else telling her that the drug could destroy my ligaments which would be very bad for his Endurance Athlete Patient. Made this at the time 68yo geezer feel good.
Old 10-09-19, 06:22 AM
celestebianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All - Thanks for your guidance! Your info confirms my search.
Old 10-09-19, 06:34 AM
355Mono

Yes, I became aware of the aorta tear danger but forgot to mention, thanks.
Old 11-03-19, 02:47 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Do not take cipro, no matter what. There are alternatives. I had side effects from 1 single dose a little over a month ago, and I consider myself lucky that I immediately stopped. It knocked me down hard--brain fog, joint/tendon pain, fatigue. One dose. I felt like I was getting plantar faciitis and carpal tunnel out of the blue. It sucked. Also, crushing anxiety. Reading about some of the horror stories certainly added to that.
I am now recovering thanks to a slew of supplements to help repair any damage and reverse the toxicity. I'm just starting to get back on the bike for easy rides (as I say, I'm one of the lucky ones, some people are devastated by it). One of the main components is magnesium. It wipes the magnesium out of your body, and if you're athletic, you're quite possibly magnesium deficient to begin with, making you more vulnerable to the toxic side effects. I started feeling noticabely better just a couple days after loading my body up with magnesium. I'm 59, and before this happened was riding at my peak--stronger than ever, so its been a real bummer. But, I'm about a month out and I'm like 60% better, so I'm feeling good about recovering and getting back to where I was.
Old 11-03-19, 08:30 PM
355Mono

Fender P Bass, and Gibson ES 355 in one thread. Hope you continue to improve. I get mild tendonitis twinges after 2 years, but was 90% better in 6 months.
Likes For 355Mono:
Old 11-04-19, 08:44 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Hey 355! I didn't even think about the Gibson angle there. Glad to hear you are doing well. As I say, I consider myself lucky--I took the one dose, and started reading about it, freaked out, and stopped. I can only imagine I'd be way worse off if I'd kept taking it, but who knows--it hits everybody differently.

I turned the corner once I started pumping magnesium back in. I could feel it working. I was probably deficient to begin with. Plus, I take a host of other supplements intended to help repair things on the cellular level and enable healing--I'm following this protocol very closely: https://www.fqtoxicity.com
Did you consider the magnesium component at all, i.e., did you start taking extra magnesium for your recovery?

A little over a month out now and I don't feel too bad, but I'm going very slow getting back into physical activity, being very careful. I've gone on a handful of very easy rides, each one a little longer than the previous. Providing one doesn't injure oneself, I think movement and exercise is ultimately going to help with the recovery--my research suggests it can speed up tissue turnover.