Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

MTV went to garbage

Old 05-09-19, 09:14 AM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 160 Posts
MTV went to garbage

I remember 1980s MTV when they just played videos and had a video DJ. Now you have shows on pregnant teenagers and other boring stuff. I know it has been this way for years already.
Old 05-09-19, 11:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-10-19, 07:45 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 89 Posts
I stopped watching years ago after the 90's.
I have the pleasure of listening to Martha Quinn every morning here in the SF area as she's a dj on an 80's station.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-10-19, 08:03 AM
dynodonn
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
MTV didn't hit our local cable company's airwaves until around 1983, by then, motorsports had taken up most of my spare time after work. I did watch on occasion, (mostly when the kids had it on) enough to post a few videos on the 80's Friday music thread.
Old 05-12-19, 05:17 PM
CalDan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been garbage for years tbh
Likes For CalDan:
Old 07-04-19, 04:29 AM
Katie Webber

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTV is over
Old 07-04-19, 06:05 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 91 Posts
Hey, they had a road bike on the set! I didn't remember that.

Luckily I was living in New Jersey at the time, so we got it right away. Used to listen to Mark Goodman on WPLJ before he hit mtv.

And Martha Quinn was cute as a button. I still wonder how she and Stiv Bators ever hooked up.
Old 07-04-19, 06:18 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
This is incomplete w/o showing the first video played:
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 07-04-19, 06:18 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Hey, they had a road bike on the set! I didn't remember that.

Luckily I was living in New Jersey at the time, so we got it right away. Used to listen to Mark Goodman on WPLJ before he hit mtv.

And Martha Quinn was cute as a button. I still wonder how she and Stiv Bators ever hooked up.
Road bikes were considered "cool" in the 70's and 80's, look at all the album covers and music videos featuring them. Then in the 90's MTB's took over, Seinfeld always had an MTB hanging up in his apartment, but never once rode it. After that, I dunno, BMX bikes, scooters and skateboards took over, for reasons that completely and utterly escape me. But hey, at least people are considered "current with modern trends" if they are seen on one of those things, even if they never get actually anywhere, and use more energy than they would by simply walking.

Now we have e-bikes, for the lazy. Progress marches on .... but I'm sticking with my road bikes, they're practical, fast, often cheap (if vintage) fun to work on, and I like staring at 'em. That's good enough for me.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-12-19, 01:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

My gravel grinder sees more of the road than gravel since the county started paving all the backroads. I like cruising the 700x40 gravel tires even on pavement I just donít care. I hear some 1980s hair metal and just cringe I use to listen to that?

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 10-12-19 at 01:22 PM. Reason: I hate autocorrect it ainít correct
Old 10-12-19, 01:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3982 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 292 Posts
Absolutely, 100% correct. And my go-to whenever anyone rants about MTV. It's not 1994, folks.

Old 10-12-19, 02:13 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: Trek 620, Jamis Satellite Sport, Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Absolutely, 100% correct. And my go-to whenever anyone rants about MTV. It's not 1994, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysyZF-DZFY&t=8s
Oh man, that totally nails it, and me, and my generation!
Old 10-12-19, 02:22 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Once someone has moved on to acceptance about the fact that MTV is literally not made for them anymore, they will firmly land here:

Old 10-12-19, 02:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 146 Posts
People have been complaining MTV stopped playing videos for many times longer than it ever did
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-12-19, 06:43 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysyZF-DZFY&t=8s
Timeline seems a little off. Napster wasn't mainstream enough to matter til 2001 or so, yet MTV was practically devoid of music by 1998.

Maybe by "stealing music" he means
Old 10-13-19, 03:09 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
MTV was garbage from day one.
Videos to accompany the mostly horrible music of the eighties, oh yeay!
Compared to 1972's new live performance program "ABC in Concert" on ABC tv, or Midnight Special, or Don Kirschners Rock Concert, where you got a glimpse of an artist/group performing live, there was nothing worth a hoot on MTV except the few times in the early days when they did occasionally air a live concert that they recorded. I recall Journey from the Summit in Houston in 1981. It was just mindless trash for morons with no jobs and no motivation to sit and watch MTV with their equally "brilliant" airheads that were dumber than a box of rocks.
Hey, I am not saying that my generation was so smart but heck we were more motivated, though some of us probably never missed watching American Bandstand, Hullabaloo, and Shindig in brilliant black and white.
Watching some folks with with no rhythm and not much dance ability, with Dick Clark playing the latest hits, but you know it showed us that if that goofy couple among the dancing fools there could have fun, so could ordinary people like us from the sticks.
I never understood that generation that watched MTV. Lazy, and unmotivated and undisciplined. They complain more than they ever should. Certainly, there are those among that group of folks that did get an education and become productive citizens but too many complain that they have it too tough.
It is the same with the young men who are video game junkies today. They just aspire to have a $15 an hour job but wish to have a nice place to live, so they reside in mommy's basement where they can have their 55 inch screen and leather couch and fully stocked fridge. No wonder they weigh 330 pounds.
This type of behavior began with those stupid twits that began watching mTV all day long probably because the recession of 1981-1982 found them losing their $3.35 an hour jobs. These knuckleheads began watching MTV all the time and when not doing that, they would smoke reefer and play Pink Floyd albums and King Crimson, Genesis, and Frank Zappa albums trying to figure out why the sun comes up and the sun goes down every day. Mark Goodman and Martha Quinn were the world's geniuses in these slack over-under achievers that mindlessly watched mtv.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 10-13-19, 06:21 AM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I want my ... I want my MTV...
Old 10-13-19, 08:40 AM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
Compared to 1972's new live performance program "ABC in Concert" on ABC tv, or Midnight Special, or Don Kirschners Rock Concert, where you got a glimpse of an artist/group performing live, there was nothing worth a hoot on MTV except the few times in the early days when they did occasionally air a live concert that they recorded. I recall Journey from the Summit in Houston in 1981. It was just mindless trash for morons with no jobs and no motivation to sit and watch MTV with their equally "brilliant" airheads that were dumber than a box of rocks.
Hey, I am not saying that my generation was so smart but heck we were more motivated, though some of us probably never missed watching American Bandstand, Hullabaloo, and Shindig in brilliant black and white.
Watching some folks with with no rhythm and not much dance ability, with Dick Clark playing the latest hits, but you know it showed us that if that goofy couple among the dancing fools there could have fun, so could ordinary people like us from the sticks.
I never understood that generation that watched MTV. Lazy, and unmotivated and undisciplined. They complain more than they ever should. Certainly, there are those among that group of folks that did get an education and become productive citizens but too many complain that they have it too tough.
It is the same with the young men who are video game junkies today. They just aspire to have a $15 an hour job but wish to have a nice place to live, so they reside in mommy's basement where they can have their 55 inch screen and leather couch and fully stocked fridge. No wonder they weigh 330 pounds.
This type of behavior began with those stupid twits that began watching mTV all day long probably because the recession of 1981-1982 found them losing their $3.35 an hour jobs. These knuckleheads began watching MTV all the time and when not doing that, they would smoke reefer and play Pink Floyd albums and King Crimson, Genesis, and Frank Zappa albums trying to figure out why the sun comes up and the sun goes down every day. Mark Goodman and Martha Quinn were the world's geniuses in these slack over-under achievers that mindlessly watched mtv.
my group of friends viciously turned on me when I successfully stayed in college and graduated. Decades later they still hate my guts. I figured out why the sun rises and sets.
Old 10-13-19, 08:43 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Post 16 contains some of the finest old-man-yells-at-cloud ranting I've seen in some time. Kudos indeed.
Old 10-13-19, 08:52 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
I only made $2.86 an hour in the early '80s. Bag boys were considered tipped employees for some bizarre reason. I only raked in a quarter or two a day in tips.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-13-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-13-19, 09:50 AM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I only made $2.86 an hour in the early '80s. Bag boys were considered ripped employees for some bizarre reason. I only raked in a quarter or two a day in tips.
We would walk milo fields with a rubber glove with a sock over it poisoning Johnson grass. Using Roundup! might explain my bicycle addiction today. 3 dollars an hour cash wasnít bad back then until we got replaced by illegal immigrants but back then that was no big deal. Today I canít find a kid that has any strength or the will to do some manual labor for 10 dollars an hour cash! One weekend the kid can make 200 bucks I can get the help I need. One said he was working on his rap You Tube video jeez that was horrible I thought it was a comedy rap.
Old 10-13-19, 10:42 PM
. Cranky .
Unfluoridated Member

Bikes: Road

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dwing View Post
I want my ... I want my MTV...
Look at them yo-yos...
Old 10-28-19, 04:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

I gave MTV Classic a few minutes today and after the promo for Jersey Shore and when they started a video of some cheesy 80s I think it was called; I’m walking on sunshine. I turned if off immediately and still haven’t recovered
Old 10-28-19, 05:10 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 57 Posts