Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Most durable Cog

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-09, 12:26 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/english/c...og_english.htm
Old 09-11-09, 12:35 AM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Bikes: Current custom builds: FG=KHS Flite 100 DH=Transition Blindside FR=Transition Bottlerocket

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Surly is beefy.
Old 10-12-19, 10:09 PM
issa_pinklion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All city cogs

ive been riding an ldg hammer fgfs and ive been doing bunnyhops and lots of skids and fakies and **** so i have an idea of what is pretty durable or not on a fixed gear bike, usually on fgfs you mostly use bmx parts because they can take a beating but there are some fixed gear essentials, like a fixed cog (obviously), ive been using a 15t all city cog for a while, i had it on a track bike running a 50/15 ratio and putting some pretty hard strain on it doing sprints and what not. Snapping kmc chains regularely and snapping an izumi chain once, even after using that cog for a while i slapped it onto my fgfs and it holds up pretty good, i bike to work and school regularly and ride recreationally, constantly beating my bike up from spilling and eating **** so much doing tricks and the cog holds up pretty good
Old 10-12-19, 10:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo!
Take your wheel to a machine shop and have them spot weld the cog on, yeeeaaaaa
Spot welding a steel cog to an aluminum hub ? You know something I don't?

I'd bet JB weld could make a permanent repair IF you prep both surfaces so they are very well roughed up and VERY clean and you use lots of JB. Lots. Fill the flange gap entirely. Make a JB fillet covering all of the locknut thread and extending up far onto the cogs. (So everything from a little below the spoke holes to the outer edge of the locknut threads needs to be squeaky clean and all the anodizing sanded off. The cog needs to be squeaky clean as well and sanded to the height you sanded the hub flange on both sides. And of course, plenty of JB on the super clean threads. Do your best to get an entire tube on there. Oh, and mix it up really well, like for several times the time it takes to mix it to uniform color and consistency.

If it were me, I'd use Marine Tex. I know more about it than JB Weld and trust it more. I'd still do all of the above.

Then do your best to keep the temperature extremes the wheel see as small as possible. Aluminum expands and shrinks a lot more than steel.

Edit: I'd use an UAI cog unless I got inside info that that there was a harder one. They hold up well. I also like that they have very square teeth that really don't like to throw even way too slack chains. Drawback - square, super reliable non-throwing chains are not inherently super quiet. I like my chains to stay on. I also notice a lot of track racers run them. I don't see Surleys there. My Surleys scare me and I only run them on my bike with a Sugino 75 and then not for major descents. (I've been hearing others beside myself who also feel they are better cogs, maybe longer lasting than the Dura-Ace cogs. I've run some Dura-Ace. Decent cogs but I feel the UAIs are a step up.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-12-19 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-12-19, 10:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
The Surly is beefy.
The two Surleys I"ve bought were both thinner than any of my UAI cogs and had teeth with dressed edges. Quiet, yes. Beefy, no. Confidence inspiring going down high RPM descents with less that perfectly round crankset, no. See my post above.

Ben
Old 10-13-19, 06:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
I stripped the hub on my first track bike (in 1965; French-threaded hub, BSA-threaded cog). The veteran mechanic at the shop where my parents bought the bike for me wrapped the hub threads with aluminum foil and reinstalled the cog. I rode the bike for another five years; the cog never moved.

Just realized that this is a 10-year-old zombie thread.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-20-19, 06:25 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The two Surleys I"ve bought were both thinner than any of my UAI cogs...
Do you mean EAI cogs? If so, I completely agree. I remain extremely impressed by Euro-Asia Imports cogs in comparison to the many others I have tried over the years (Soma, Surly, All City, OEM, et-cetera).

Edit:
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Just realized that this is a 10-year-old zombie thread.
Whoa... *turns red in embarrassment* ...nevermind :|

Last edited by ethet; 10-20-19 at 08:43 PM. Reason: zombies... they're alive and it's all my fault...
Old 10-20-19, 10:05 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by ethet
Do you mean EAI cogs? If so, I completely agree. I remain extremely impressed by Euro-Asia Imports cogs in comparison to the many others I have tried over the years (Soma, Surly, All City, OEM, et-cetera).
Yes.
Old 10-21-19, 06:42 AM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by artesc
yeah, don't use a stripped hub.

that being said...dura ace is fairly cheap and very durable.
Hi what do you mean with:
yeah, don't use a stripped hub.
Old 10-21-19, 06:43 AM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
[