Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rapha Long Sleeve Jersey - Long Sleeve Core Vs. Classic Long Sleeve II

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-06-19, 06:37 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts

Long Sleeve Core:

https://www.rapha.cc/Us/en_US/shop/l...uct/COL01XXBLK

Classic Long Sleeve II:

https://www.rapha.cc/Us/en_US/shop/c...uct/CLL03XXGYB

Both look good, and I'm looking to ride in MN fall temps of upper 40s (at lowest) at start of ride, up to upper 50s and maybe cracking 60 in the sun. They both look nice, and the cheaper one even says its good for cooler weather and NOT just made from the same fabric as the short sleeve version, but rather a thicker fabric. Before I load up a cart of various items in various sizes resulting in a bunch of returns, I thought maybe I'd try and pare it down a bit and figure out if the Classic II is worth an extra $75 over the Core? My understanding is Core and Classic have the same fit.

Is the Classic II worth nearly 2x as the Core? Figure someone here has at least one of these and can provide feedback. I like the extra zipper pocket on the Classic II, but that's hardly worth an extra $75.

Last edited by puma1552; 10-06-19 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 06:43 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
i hope you are not paying full retail on those, Rapha as 50% off regularly
Old 10-06-19, 06:50 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
i hope you are not paying full retail on those, Rapha as 50% off regularly
Unfortunately they aren't on sale at this time, and with maybe a month of riding left, I can't wait around for a sale. I did just get an off the bike vest from them last week for 50% off, so I have warm feels about that, at least.
Old 10-06-19, 07:09 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Classic II long sleeve is heavier weighted fabric than short sleeve version. Also better fitting than Core due to sleeve construction IMO. 30 day return policy with free return-shipping. I suggest ordering both and picking your favourite.
Old 10-07-19, 04:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Classic II long sleeve is heavier weighted fabric than short sleeve version. Also better fitting than Core due to sleeve construction IMO. 30 day return policy with free return-shipping. I suggest ordering both and picking your favourite.
That 30-day return policy works well with Puma only have 30 days left of riding temps left this year!
Old 10-07-19, 07:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Long Sleeve Core:

https://www.rapha.cc/Us/en_US/shop/l...uct/COL01XXBLK

Classic Long Sleeve II:

https://www.rapha.cc/Us/en_US/shop/c...uct/CLL03XXGYB

Both look good, and I'm looking to ride in MN fall temps of upper 40s (at lowest) at start of ride, up to upper 50s and maybe cracking 60 in the sun. They both look nice, and the cheaper one even says its good for cooler weather and NOT just made from the same fabric as the short sleeve version, but rather a thicker fabric. Before I load up a cart of various items in various sizes resulting in a bunch of returns, I thought maybe I'd try and pare it down a bit and figure out if the Classic II is worth an extra $75 over the Core? My understanding is Core and Classic have the same fit.

Is the Classic II worth nearly 2x as the Core? Figure someone here has at least one of these and can provide feedback. I like the extra zipper pocket on the Classic II, but that's hardly worth an extra $75.
Disclaimer: I haven't haven't touched either, though I do have a Core Winter Jacket, which has quickly become a favorite piece of kit - if the F&F is typical of Core, I can't see needing more (though 'want' may rear its head).

In your position, and in the conditions that you're talking about (which I'm obviously very familiar with), I would do the Core LS jersey and pick up a Gilet with the savings over the Classic (I recall that you have a Transfer vest, but aren't keen on wearing it on-bike). The Core LS/Gilet combo would be more flexible and suitable to these warming morning rides.
Old 10-07-19, 07:57 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
The classic is wool and handles a wider temperature range more comfortably and precipitation and breathability. Its one of my favorite pieces of kit. Pair it with a gilet and you can cover anything from 40-60 degrees
Old 10-07-19, 08:06 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by redlude97
The classic is wool and handles a wider temperature range more comfortably and precipitation and breathability. Its one of my favorite pieces of kit. Pair it with a gilet and you can cover anything from 40-60 degrees
ORLY. I hadn't caught that bit. I love me some wool, and that would help justify the price difference, in my mind (though I would still stand by my previous recommendation to the OP, in this case, unless he wants to totally blow the budget and go Classic/Gilet).
Old 10-07-19, 02:54 PM
puma1552

Thanks guys, I went ahead and just ordered both (along with an off the bike hoodie, the $80 one, not the $150 one, which already pushes the boundaries of acceptable).

Bought all three items in 2 sizes, so $710, lol. Plan is to return at least 4 items, if not 5 if I don't like either jersey for some reason. Just planning on keeping one hoodie and one jersey.
Likes For puma1552:
Old 10-07-19, 04:19 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Thanks guys, I went ahead and just ordered both (along with an off the bike hoodie, the $80 one, not the $150 one, which already pushes the boundaries of acceptable).

Bought all three items in 2 sizes, so $710, lol. Plan is to return at least 4 items, if not 5 if I don't like either jersey for some reason. Just planning on keeping one hoodie and one jersey.
Solid plan!
Old 10-07-19, 05:10 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Is there a reason Rapha gear is so shockingly expensive? I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I know a lot of cyclists like it. It just seems very expensive for what it appears to be.
Old 10-07-19, 05:34 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Is there a reason Rapha gear is so shockingly expensive? I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I know a lot of cyclists like it. It just seems very expensive for what it appears to be.
I held out for years, and finally started with the Classic bibs. Incredibly comfortable. Much more so than any others I've tried including Assos (also not cheap)
To answer your question, every piece I now own (2 different jackets, Classic long sleeved wool jersey, merino baselayer, Classic shorts, 3/4 bibs, and "mountain bike" shoes) are all so incredibly comfortable. Quality of construction is top notch and fit for everything is sweet.
Plus, I feel good in them

YMMV though
Old 10-07-19, 05:50 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I recently bought Core bibs and Core short sleeved jersey for about $180 (10% less combo price.) The quality is good, but no frills and the fit is very good. It is stylish and understated gear at a good price. The jersey is best suited for medium/cooler days. Zippered pocket is well located and can be opened without contortions. I went into the store with a bit of anti Rapha prejudice and only with a mind to look. I was an easy convert.
Old 10-07-19, 06:25 PM
WhyFi

At retail, their jerseys start at 80 bucks, bibs at 115 - that's not out of line from the entry prices from many companies, like Twin Six, for instance. Yeah, as Rapha's garments get more technical, the prices shoot up, but again, they're not exactly alone at these price points, either.

There's also the service side of things - they're pretty great in this regard, too, in my limited experience. They have size-down pricing - if you buy a jersey and it becomes too big for you as you lose weight, they'll give you 50% off a smaller one. They do free crash damage repair. For those that don't live near one of their retail stores, their online purchasing is great - free shipping over $75 and really easy (and free) returns. When they mess up, they take care of you - I ordered a wool sweater. A technical base layer arrived. Since the sweater was no longer in stock, they immediately issued a refund and gave me a voucher code for $30 off of my next purchase. Oh, and they said to keep the base layer ($80).
Old 10-07-19, 07:51 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Big fan of Rapha stuff, expensive and worth the money if your spending a lot of time in the saddle. I would spend the extra for the classic ii, it’s Warmer better build and has better pockets in the back, it will last years if you take care of it like most of their clothing.
Old 10-07-19, 10:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Wow, and I thought I was being extravagant buying a ~$50 Mazama Store hoody.
Old 10-09-19, 06:05 PM
puma1552

So the goods arrived today, so figured I'd update. I first opened up the Core jersey, and it was really nice and seemed like all one would need. Nice details, nice material, etc. But fit ended up not so good. Like someone else said, the sleeves just weren't right - some odd feeling behind the shoulder seam or something.

So then I tried the Classic, and yep - that's the one. Fit is noticeably more generous than the Core, which I liked, and was not expecting. Sleeves are just the way they should be, and I like that I can slide them up my arms, which is what I prefer and probably how I'll ride most of the time. Material is nice, but a little thin and definitely won't offer any windblock properties or anything like that - you can sort of see through the jersey, but not a big deal unless it's skin tight and you're bending over I guess. I do believe this is a keeper. Hard to imagine sweating in something so expensive and made out of wool? Alas it is made to be sweated in I guess.

As for the hoodie, I'm a bit bummed - I may be just 3% too rotund for it in what really would be the right size (S). Medium is just a bit too big, but it's too expensive to risk trying to shrink it a bit and I know the small has the right dimensions overall. Really nice hoodie though, but I can see why people complain about the zipper in the reviews, it's a bit cheap/small. Still hate the left handed zippers on all their stuff though. I might try it on again in the morning before my spine compresses half an inch throughout the day like it was by 5:00 PM when I tried it on? I'm definitely skinnier in the morning no doubt, noticeably so too. lol.

Their sizing is definitely messed up though. The jersey in large is just right, my vest in medium is just right, and the hoodie in small is borderline just right.
Old 10-12-19, 11:37 AM
puma1552

Yeah so decided to keep the small hoodie, must've just been having a fat day the other day when I tried it on, this morning it felt just right and looked good.

Now that I made my decisions, I set out to return the other 4 items. They already give you a prepaid label, but they say go to their site for instructions. Their return instructions vary for guest accounts vs. member accounts (I'm a guest), and I had to go through a process entering items in 1 by 1 until I was done and then it says they will email me instructions to return shortly? I expected an automatic email reply with some sort of return form showing what I was returning, but its 3-4 hours later and I'm still waiting, and it's not in my junk mail.

Sort of annoying, I wanted to drop the return off today.
Old 10-12-19, 12:03 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I can see why people complain about the zipper in the reviews, it's a bit cheap/small.
Funny, the only Rapha piece I have is the Commuter jacket and while it's an awesome jacket for its intended use, the zipper could use some rethinking. It can be pretty tight to get started, and is impossible to operate with one hand - which I definitely want to once I warm up.
Old 10-12-19, 12:07 PM
WhyFi

Yeah so decided to keep the small hoodie, must've just been having a fat day the other day when I tried it on, this morning it felt just right and looked good.

Now that I made my decisions, I set out to return the other 4 items. They already give you a prepaid label, but they say go to their site for instructions. Their return instructions vary for guest accounts vs. member accounts (I'm a guest), and I had to go through a process entering items in 1 by 1 until I was done and then it says they will email me instructions to return shortly? I expected an automatic email reply with some sort of return form showing what I was returning, but its 3-4 hours later and I'm still waiting, and it's not in my junk mail.

Sort of annoying, I wanted to drop the return off today.
Ouch. If you register an account, you go in to your purchase history, select the invoice/item, indicate return/exchange and the reason and it'll produce a packing slip for you immediately. Literally a 30-second process. Having the account probably makes warranty, size-down purchases, free crash repair requests, etc, a lot easier, too.
Old 10-13-19, 12:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
In a cool temp LS jersey, what I like is one which I can easily blow air through because that's how to get rid of heat quickly. One wears a LS base layer (I use Craft) under such a jersey. If that's too cool, one adds a very light windblock layer, vest or jacket, but the thin kind which stuff to the size of a orange. This rig has a very wide temperature range which windblocking winter jerseys lack.
Old 10-13-19, 04:23 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
You need to look around. Assos, Santini, Gore and lot more, are just as expensive as Rapha, "if not more expensive". Cycling cloths Mfg's are highly competitive. With the internet, there's no way your going to not get researched as to quality and pricing.

Then it comes down to the ease of dealing with and the level of difficulty with the return process. Rapha has a real customer service telephone line. They handled my return immediately. I received an email from them while on the phone with the return recipes. Having telephone access is a big deal in my book. Many of the cycling clothing Mfgs are in Europe. There’s absolutely no telephone access here in the States for a number of them. I want access to that old fashion customer service via the phone.

Last edited by Ninetimes; 10-14-19 at 09:15 AM. Reason: ...
Old 10-13-19, 05:20 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ouch. If you register an account, you go in to your purchase history, select the invoice/item, indicate return/exchange and the reason and it'll produce a packing slip for you immediately. Literally a 30-second process. Having the account probably makes warranty, size-down purchases, free crash repair requests, etc, a lot easier, too.
Right, I'll probably set up an account with my next order now that I know stuff fits well. But really, guest or not, the process should be the same for the returns and anyone should be able to go to the site and pop in an order number and do the same process.
Old 10-14-19, 05:01 PM
kshepherd

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
So I just ordered a Rapha Pro Team Long Sleeve Thermal Jersey. I ordered my normal size L and weirdly the arms seem a bit long and the length of the body seems quite short in the front (my belly button shows), other than that it fits great. I think a Medium would be too tight everywhere and an XL would have sleeves way too long. Is that normal for their sizing?

I'm thinking about giving the Classic Long Sleeve II a try instead, it sounds like the fit it a little more relaxed.
Old 10-14-19, 05:10 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kshepherd
So I just ordered a Rapha Pro Team Long Sleeve Thermal Jersey. I ordered my normal size L and weirdly the arms seem a bit long and the length of the body seems quite short in the front (my belly button shows), other than that it fits great. I think a Medium would be too tight everywhere and an XL would have sleeves way too long. Is that normal for their sizing?

I'm thinking about giving the Classic Long Sleeve II a try instead, it sounds like the fit it a little more relaxed.
Just in case you're new to this foolishness, keep in mind that cycling clothes are designed to fit well when hunched over on the bike, not standing bolt upright. The classic line is indeed a more relaxed fit than the pro line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.