Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do I have to

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do I have to

Old 10-09-19, 09:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My birthday is in August. If it's a work day, then I'll ride to work and that's it. If it falls on a weekend, then my wife will expect that we do something together. I doubt if I will ever do a "birthday ride", per se. In fact, I'm convinced that I won't.
Old 10-13-19, 07:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
I met a gentleman this spring, who needed help with his Garmin at a store we often stop at. he told me he was doing his birthday ride, and he was proud to tell me he was 89. he had been riding his age for a couple of decades. I was inspired!
I met a senior gentleman once who asked if I could use Tempest as a balancing point to get to his car (forked stand). He told me he sold Rollfasts to kids when he was a young man and I gladly lended him Tempest as a crutch for a minute, told him how awesome it was to make those lucky kids happy with a Rollfast. Made my day.
Old 10-15-19, 02:52 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
You make the rules

First I agree with the poster that said whoever gives out the trophy makes the rules. I have a February birthday and live in the north. I have tried a lot things to make the miles doable. These include :
1) Allowing a 2 week window around my birthday to find reasonable weather.
2) Taking a vacation to a southern location.
3) I once road 42 miles indoors when I lived in Northern Minnesota.
4) I have thought of riding in August and doing the + 1/2 mile solution. But temps here in August are in 90s and heat at my age is worse than cold.
At my age (70 next year) I am going to take my wife's advise and go south and use kilometers. The older I get the harder it is to maintain enough fitness for 70 miles in February.