Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Avoiding the Cold Weather Road Cycling?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Avoiding the Cold Weather Road Cycling?

Old 10-16-19, 02:58 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Dan what I want to say to some one like you, I will refrain from here on this forum that I have been a part of for quite sometime. There is always one like you no matter what forums it is if its cameras, Audio headphones, Watches etc etc etc..you get the idea. Why not if you can not play nice just pass on by..? You are incorrect on the model of my watch so before you start chirping model numbers, you might want to get all your ducks in a row buddy..
My apologies, the COLD WEATHER is getting to me. I'll get with my watch guy so that we can review the latest catalogue from Patek before making outlandish and insulting claims about your particular watch model in the future!
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 10-16-19, 03:00 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
...and the idiot drivers in a rush to get...anywhere

But, yes, the 13(!) months of cycling-compatible weather here is great. Of course, if you're not already living here, there is a very serious price (as in $$$$$$) to pay, unfortunately.
I have family living in Silicon Valley. Their garage has room for one of my bikes, and their house has room for me. This winter, I'm going to see if I can head out there for a week (including the two weekends). Working east-coast hours, I can hopefully be in the saddle by 2:30 and get some warm outdoor riding in before returning to the dreck that constitutes NYC Jan-Mar.
Old 10-16-19, 03:10 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
So how long do you stay in Thailand..? Sounds really nice but i usually ride about 430am due to humidity and crazy drivers....!
Usually about three months. Lots of crazy drivers in Thailand as well which is why I cycle over to some areas that are car free. I'm only on the main road for a short distance. Sometimes go outside of Bangkok where there is a lot less traffic. I don't like cycling in the dark whether in the USA or Thailand or pretty much anywhere else so that's why I wait until it's light outside before I go.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 10-16-19, 03:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
My apologies, the COLD WEATHER is getting to me. I'll get with my watch guy so that we can review the latest catalogue from Patek before making outlandish and insulting claims about your particular watch model in the future!
My Casio F-91W is the best bang for the buck watch. And it’s BOMBPROOF!
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-16-19, 03:44 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
My Casio F-91W is the best bang for the buck watch. And it’s BOMBPROOF!
I will not dispute that at all..! I know that this thread is about leaving the cold weather cycling however nothing will give you more correct time that your iPhone. Watches are more about a form of jewelry then something you grab the time from.. I will not even take one of my watches with me on the trip but my Garmin Fenix5.. I have all these fancy watches but hardly wear them worrying about scratching them..
Old 10-16-19, 04:05 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I have family living in Silicon Valley. Their garage has room for one of my bikes, and their house has room for me. This winter, I'm going to see if I can head out there for a week (including the two weekends). Working east-coast hours, I can hopefully be in the saddle by 2:30 and get some warm outdoor riding in before returning to the dreck that constitutes NYC Jan-Mar.
There are a lot of really nice options for road biking (I'm on an mtb). Lots of hills with minimally used roads and great challenges. Check out a ride along Calaveras Blvd. that goes past the reservoir. Lots of nice twists and turns and very much "out in the country. Depending on where your family is, might be bale to ride out of the garage and get there on bike

The bay is only a short ride away from almost anywhere in the valley. I ride out to it once a week. If you're really ambitious, you could prob'ly make the ride from the valley over to Santa Cruz (like, whoa, dude, ~23 miles) for lunch.

A few weeks ago I took CalTrain (local transport that runs between south bay/Gilroy to San Francisco) to SF. Rode from the train station past the SF Giants ballpark along The Embarcadero past the Ferry Building and Pier 39 (big tourist spot, but great for clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl Cycled up to the GG Bridge and on over to Sausalito (say that with a slight, nasal twinge and sat in a small park eating pizza by the bay enjoying views of the SF skyline, Angel Island and Alcatraz. And then took a ferry ride back to SF. Very nice. Also, fall/winter is a good time in the Bay Area. Temps are a bit cool (by our standards) but the marine layer that covers up SF (and the bay and GG Bridge) during the summer is pretty much gone.

We do get an average of 29"/year of rain but we also get a bunch of sunny days during the winter. In the past, I've been able to hike in shorts @ 65F on Xmas day! We have our "cool" days, but if you're used to east coast winters, you'll find our weather very temperate.

Nice that you have that option. Hope it works out for you. Careful, tho. Once you come out and experience things here, you may find it hard to go back.

Cheers.....
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-16-19, 04:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I will not dispute that at all..! I know that this thread is about leaving the cold weather cycling however nothing will give you more correct time that your iPhone. Watches are more about a form of jewelry then something you grab the time from.. I will not even take one of my watches with me on the trip but my Garmin Fenix5.. I have all these fancy watches but hardly wear them worrying about scratching them..
The 6X is a really nice upgrade.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-16-19, 04:54 PM
aliasfox

There are a lot of really nice options for road biking (I'm on an mtb). Lots of hills with minimally used roads and great challenges. Check out a ride along Calaveras Blvd. that goes past the reservoir. Lots of nice twists and turns and very much "out in the country. Depending on where your family is, might be bale to ride out of the garage and get there on bike

The bay is only a short ride away from almost anywhere in the valley. I ride out to it once a week. If you're really ambitious, you could prob'ly make the ride from the valley over to Santa Cruz (like, whoa, dude, ~23 miles) for lunch.

A few weeks ago I took CalTrain (local transport that runs between south bay/Gilroy to San Francisco) to SF. Rode from the train station past the SF Giants ballpark along The Embarcadero past the Ferry Building and Pier 39 (big tourist spot, but great for clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl Cycled up to the GG Bridge and on over to Sausalito (say that with a slight, nasal twinge and sat in a small park eating pizza by the bay enjoying views of the SF skyline, Angel Island and Alcatraz. And then took a ferry ride back to SF. Very nice. Also, fall/winter is a good time in the Bay Area. Temps are a bit cool (by our standards) but the marine layer that covers up SF (and the bay and GG Bridge) during the summer is pretty much gone.

We do get an average of 29"/year of rain but we also get a bunch of sunny days during the winter. In the past, I've been able to hike in shorts @ 65F on Xmas day! We have our "cool" days, but if you're used to east coast winters, you'll find our weather very temperate.

Nice that you have that option. Hope it works out for you. Careful, tho. Once you come out and experience things here, you may find it hard to go back.

Cheers.....
Oh trust me, I know how beautiful it can be. Just got married out there two weeks ago! The food and nightlife are awesome in NYC, but pleasant weather days and good roads are few and far between - at least, on days where I have time to ride.

As for riding in the Bay Area, I've done Jefferson Ave to Cañada Rd, the Pescadero Creek loop, and the medio route on Levi's Gran Fondo in Sonoma - which is the most picturesque riding I've ever done. The Bianchi's been out there for two months, and I've already flown out there twice. Already have two trips where I can cycle planned (next May and Oct), but will definitely try to sneak in an extra week earlier in the year when it's 20F in NYC for weeks on end...

I'm just glad the bike I have in the Bay Area is the one with a triple!
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 10-16-19, 05:25 PM
stephr1

Oh trust me, I know how beautiful it can be. Just got married out there two weeks ago! The food and nightlife are awesome in NYC, but pleasant weather days and good roads are few and far between - at least, on days where I have time to ride.

As for riding in the Bay Area, I've done Jefferson Ave to Cañada Rd, the Pescadero Creek loop, and the medio route on Levi's Gran Fondo in Sonoma - which is the most picturesque riding I've ever done. The Bianchi's been out there for two months, and I've already flown out there twice. Already have two trips where I can cycle planned (next May and Oct), but will definitely try to sneak in an extra week earlier in the year when it's 20F in NYC for weeks on end...

I'm just glad the bike I have in the Bay Area is the one with a triple!
Congrats on the marriage!!

My humblest apologies for making an assumption obviously not true. You already know your way around the Bay Area and don't need me to tell you anything that you already know.

Hint: If you were thinking about hiring me as your local tour guide, don't waste your money or time. I could never match your obvious stellar knowledge

Cheers and enjoy.....
Old 10-17-19, 12:30 PM
aliasfox

Congrats on the marriage!!

My humblest apologies for making an assumption obviously not true. You already know your way around the Bay Area and don't need me to tell you anything that you already know.

Hint: If you were thinking about hiring me as your local tour guide, don't waste your money or time. I could never match your obvious stellar knowledge

Cheers and enjoy.....
Oh no worries - you're welcome to rub in the fact that weather is quite reasonable out there something like 11 months out of the year, and that you have better donuts than us (for a lot less money), and that you have In-n-Out. And you have the PCH and all the mountains next to it, and fewer people look at you funny when you say you're going out for a 3-5 hour bike ride.

Of course, NYC has the best pizza, 24 hour pierogies, and the cute little 5-Boro Bike Tour, so not all is lost. Oh yeah, our two jobs are here too...
Old 10-17-19, 02:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Me too. I'd never spend the winter in a warm place.

As for riding in the winter issue? There is no bad weather just inappropriate clothing.
I love my winter clothes. Silky base layers, down puffies that give you instant warmth when you need it, a few cashmere mid layers, hansom jackets, and fresh snow looks like a coat of magic over the world.
Old 10-17-19, 03:22 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I love my winter clothes. Silky base layers, down puffies that give you instant warmth when you need it, a few cashmere mid layers, hansom jackets, and fresh snow looks like a coat of magic over the world.
Sure wish my 150lb carcass could be ok with that. When I was a big fat guy, I could deal with any weather conditions but not anymore. I have the opportunity of a life time to live this dream come true lifestyle and can not be any happier. I am from NW ohio and have had lots of nasty ugly and cold weather and do not miss it and if it was not for our 2 sons and families, my rear would be in Sri Lanka 12 months out of the year. We all like something different and that would include me... In just about 4 days I will be back on my most favorite island in the world..
Old 10-17-19, 03:39 PM
stephr1

Oh no worries - you're welcome to rub in the fact that weather is quite reasonable out there something like 11 months out of the year, and that you have better donuts than us (for a lot less money), and that you have In-n-Out. And you have the PCH and all the mountains next to it, and fewer people look at you funny when you say you're going out for a 3-5 hour bike ride.

Of course, NYC has the best pizza, 24 hour pierogies, and the cute little 5-Boro Bike Tour, so not all is lost. Oh yeah, our two jobs are here too...
Can't comment about the donuts...cut as much sugar out of my diet as possible, and I'm certainly not a pizza aficionado (tho, I do know better than to argue with a New Yorker on that

I am a proud native Golden Stater (as much as a genetic eastern European can be). Born in Los Angeles, raised in the shadows, and Mickey Mouse is my "uncle" Altho, my roots back to eastern Europe go thru Brooklyn and the Bronx and Ellis Island. However, I am not so arrogant as to believe CA is the only great place to live. And I certainly wouldn't rub that in anyone's face if it were true.

Yeah, CA has a lot going for it (Quora postings have done a great job of highlighting that fact, so I don't need to do it). However, I've been to other places in both the US and the world and have been mesmerized by the beauty, sophistication and friendliness of the people of those places located in a state or province not named California.

I will, however, give you props for knowing more than just a bit about CA and, in particular, the SF Bay Area.

I hope the jobs and where you live allow you to enjoy both a great professional life and a gratifying personal one with it.

Cheers.....

Last edited by stephr1; 10-17-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-19-19, 08:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by redlude97
bring on the snow. Time to pull out the splitboard
Backcountry, or places like Snoq and Stevens? If BC, there's 8 inches of powder on the S side of Ingalls Pass, more than a foot on the N. As of hours ago; it's still coming down. Telemetry shows 30-35" on Baker at 5k and 24+" at Paradise. I hope your splitboard is waxed up and ready to go. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-20-19, 09:13 AM
cp88mb1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Backcountry, or places like Snoq and Stevens? If BC, there's 8 inches of powder on the S side of Ingalls Pass, more than a foot on the N. As of hours ago; it's still coming down. Telemetry shows 30-35" on Baker at 5k and 24+" at Paradise. I hope your splitboard is waxed up and ready to go. 🙂
wow - nice. Down here in NCal not a hint of snow yet. I’m not quite ready to trade the bike for skis but my mind definitely starting to wander in that direction.
Old 11-04-19, 09:32 AM
Laifer69

Bikes: Barco XCr, Barco Spirit, Barco lugged Spirit + XCr, Mason Definition

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My interests now are leaning towards high end wrist watches like my new Patek Phillipe I bought this summer while in Dubai..

That is a beautiful watch indeed. Wear it in good health!
Old 11-04-19, 10:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
If it gets too cold I go to the gym and ride a stationary bike or do a spin class. The scenery is always good there.

I also wear a TomTom Spark 3 watch. It does what it is supposed to.

Last edited by seypat; 11-04-19 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-04-19, 06:57 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
No.

I have a job I have to go to every day so I can support myself, and I'm expected to show up every day.
Old 11-04-19, 07:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I love mogul threads. They are just such entertainment.

Some people watch scripted drama reality shows, but my guilty pleasure is a multi-page mogul thread.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-04-19, 07:53 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If it gets too cold I go to the gym and ride a stationary bike or do a spin class. The scenery is always good there.

Ha!
Old 11-04-19, 09:30 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

I can't think of anything in there to capitalize. How about TOMTOM SPARK 3?
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-05-19, 11:57 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
My interests now are leaning towards high end wrist watches like my new Patek Phillipe I bought this summer while in Dubai..

I'm disappointed. A Stella?
Old 11-05-19, 12:08 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I love mogul threads. They are just such entertainment.

Some people watch scripted drama reality shows, but my guilty pleasure is a multi-page mogul thread.
Not complete without sideways pics, amiright?
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-05-19, 02:22 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Anyone else plan on escaping the cold weather for the winter so that they can cycle in the nice warm sun and heat..? Yup you guessed it's its just about that time to be heading off to Sunny Sri lanka for the fall and winter months. Staying a bit longer this year to the tune of 6 months..Back mid April..! Taking my Pinarello Dogma F8 along this time and that should make me good on bikes in Sri Lanka.... Looking forward to some tough brutal humid rides this trip. Great to be in decent shape and able to do these kind of things..

Yep, I've already moved on to Sri Lanka, aka, my local YMCA. Warn, not so sunny though. Water is warm too. Nice scenery too at my local spin class. So, what else could you want? All just 10 minutes from my house. Ohh, no sand in my shorts either.

Really though, could you just will me your bike? I almost bought a Pinarello and would have opted for that same color scheme. Nice ride there. I will have to suffer though at the local Sri Lanka I am afraid.

john
Old 11-05-19, 03:55 PM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by rutan74
Yep, I've already moved on to Sri Lanka, aka, my local YMCA. Warn, not so sunny though. Water is warm too. Nice scenery too at my local spin class. So, what else could you want? All just 10 minutes from my house. Ohh, no sand in my shorts either.

Really though, could you just will me your bike? I almost bought a Pinarello and would have opted for that same color scheme. Nice ride there. I will have to suffer though at the local Sri Lanka I am afraid.

john
We are now settled into our place here in Sri lanka for the last 2 weeks and the rains are finally letting up giving to very warm and humid conditions. Where are you in Sri lanka..? We are just a few miles south of Colombo right on the Indian Ocean..here is the Pinarello in its new home here as it made it with no issues or damage at all..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.