Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Winter or Marathon Winter tires for winter commute?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Schwalbe Winter or Marathon Winter tires for winter commute?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 07:12 AM
LPcreation

Bikes: Giant Revolt 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up these Schwalbe CX Pros. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm going to try and commute as much as possible throughout this Pennsylvannia winter.

CX Pro
Old 10-04-18, 07:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by deeschex
Are they compatible with Specialized Cross Trail Elite Hybrid bikes? 700c tires/ wheel size
they are available in your size, but might be hard to find in stock
Old 10-05-18, 03:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by LPcreation
I just picked up these Schwalbe CX Pros. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm going to try and commute as much as possible throughout this Pennsylvannia winter.

CX Pro
I've used them before in a 700-30mm size. They are probably the best non-winter tire for winter use, excellent traction and handling in snow and slush and very low rolling resistance on pavement. The only downside is that they don't have any flat protection and they wear down fast. I highly recommend them as an alternative for somebody who doesn't want to use winter specific tire...Also keep in mind that nothing grabs on ice except studs.
Old 10-20-19, 10:39 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
With winter around the corner, I'm thinking of getting a pair of Marathon Winter Plus tires, for 26-406 rims. The Winter Plus is the only spiked model that comes in 406 from Schwalbe. There is either 42mm or 55mm versions, each for around $30. I currently have Big Ben Plus 55mm, and have 2-3mm clearance to the fender and fork. Are the knobs and spikes on the 55mm Winter Plus causing it to have a larger overall diameter than the Big Ben Plus? I might have to settle for the smaller 42mm then, but the maximum recommended rim width for it is 25mm, although it's only a 1mm difference to my 26mm rims.

Any big difference in grip/performance between the 42mm and 55mm versions (depending on road conditions)?

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/spike-re...on-winter-plus
Old 10-21-19, 10:05 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by LPcreation

CX Pro
My fav noon studded tires are Schwalbe G-One. They have great wet nasty winter traction. When there is snow - the little nubs hold the snow - and snow is going to stick to itself better than it sticks to rubber. So, they are surprisingly good in snow.

Only studs work on ice though. For me, that is mostly an issue in early spring where the freeze/thaw cycles cause the snow to melt and refreeze - creating glare ice (aka black ice). That stuff is nasty. But if it is staying below freezing I'll be on the G-One tires.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...el-tire?sg=500