Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 10-13-19, 04:55 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 121 Posts
Friday bashed around Richmond at lunch in Zwift. Saturday same deal but in the neighborhood. Both kinda hard tempo into KOM efforts of 2min.

Rainy day Sunday today rode 3 sisters route on Zwift. 30mi/3k feet, 18.5 fake mph lol. Had a few ride ons and a good SS under over effort up the long mountain chasing two guys on some team. Caught em at the top.

It still isnít cold in the house yet like winter. Even with the disaster flood fan I was boiling hot.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-13-19, 07:16 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 59 Posts
Another ~90 min ride today, TT bike this time. Brought the saddle up about 1 cm and the bars up about 1 inch. Wow, what a difference. Was comfortable staying in position and putting it down for a couple laps and having fun going fast.

I just purchased some 5 mm shorter cranks on ebay, so I'm looking fwd to getting those installed and then raising the saddle another 5 mm. After that the plan will be to drop the height of the front end incrementally after a month or so like this for strength and adaptation. Will solicit feedback with pics in the TT sticky later on. This is fun!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-16-19, 11:25 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Amazing what not doing a 2-a-day workout on the day of Tue night worlds can do for you!

Work this week meant I arrived late. I got ready fast, but the group was 3-4min up road. My best bet was to match their pace and hope they would hit 3-4min worth of stop lights at some point and I'd catch up.

Took me about 10 miles, but I made it. I caught every single light green and rode the first 10mi non-stop. They did too, but had to slow a touch to roll with traffic at a couple lights. That was enough delay to help me catch. Rode the last few miles also OTF. Two of us got away and I pulled for that. Then he dropped off. I made it over a hill and through a light, but it changed and that was it. So 2/3 of the ride I did on my own power.

Finally broke that 21mph barrier on that group ride with 21.5. Probably because I caught so many favorable lights early and late in the ride. 275w NP. A 2nd OA on our hill sprint by a second. 775w for 30sec. Got to ride for a while with a nice guy I haven't seen in a while since he lives way north of town. A good night.

Just a year ago that group never had broken 20mph on that loop. This year we routinely crack 20. Now we know over 21 is possible. I think if the lead bunch stayed together to work instead of hammering and we got favorable lights, we could probably do 23 avg. If I did 21.5 solo for the first and last thirds of the ride, certainly the lead bunch could share work and make 23 happen. For that route, that'd be smokin.

Supposedly the TT bike stems come Friday. I got two to dial in the reach just so . I am actually excited about incurring some pain there since some fresh goodies will be on the bike. Plus, I can practice more on my Zwift stuff with it now to stay engaged.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-18-19, 06:44 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 92 Posts
Leg strength training plus lats and biceps.
Old 10-18-19, 10:50 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 59 Posts
20' high Z4 on Fiesta then 1 VO2 max interval up Bachman on the way back. Packing up now to head up to Mt. Laguna for the weekend - the SDMBA "Trail Fest" demo weekend. Plan on getting two more 1-2 hr MTB rides in today, one on a demo and one on mine (night ride). Stoked!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-18-19, 12:02 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I rode hiit for 30min in the neighborhood at 280w NP then parked the bike at the house and threw the shoes on for a brick 5k.

The brick 5k I ran on RPE only and kept my computer in my jersey pocket. Man, equaled my PR on that 5k route at about 10bpm lower, including the hard bike work before.

I haven't even ran in months. I was just running tempo based on feel.

I foresee finally cracking into the 6's per mile this winter. But I'll take it slow on adding volume/intensity for that. I've learned that lesson once already.

If I'm in the 6's per mile on 5k distance, and I'm where I hope to be on the TT bike.......I should put a hurtin on the guys/gals at the local duathlon in the spring. I'm thinking 19:30, 26mph, 19:30 would be a good goal there. That'd podium OA from the year before.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-20-19, 09:03 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 3

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 40 Posts
Bulking season is going well. Gaining weight without too much fat gain as far as I can tell. I'm 15lbs heavier than when I raced lotoja 1.5 months ago.

Lots of lifting and rock climbing. A bit of running and a bit of mtbing. I've ridden my road bike twice since the end of race season. Ahhhhh the off season.

Last night was our first real snow of the year which means ski season so getting close and I'm going to regret all this extra weight with every stride I take on skate skis
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 10-20-19, 04:23 PM
Cypress
Giving you the business.

Bikes: Usually a Trek of some sort

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 30 Posts
I just spent the upper parts of the Alpe "riding with" with KillerPenguin and it got me thinking about how long I've been cycling and how long I've known a few of the peeps from this forum. It definitely made the last part of a crappy indoor ride way less bad.

Here's to two old raggedy villains wringing fitness out of the digital age.

Likes For Cypress: