Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What About Ride With GPS?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What About Ride With GPS?

Old 10-20-19, 06:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Kprentice
Hi all. Full disclosure, I work at Ride with GPS. Just wanted to chime in to say that we released our mobile route planner on Android a few weeks ago, and we’re nearing the finish line on iOS, should be available around Thanksgiving next month. We should have done it a long time ago, but are excited for it to be here now, and it’s great! AND, for folks with devices, after you plan or edit a route on your phone, you can sync it wirelessly to your Garmin with our Connect IQ app, or sync it up with your Wahoo device.
I can’t post a URL into this thread, but if you visit our website, down in the footer you will see a Mobile Route Planner link where you can check it out. And folks on Android can use it right now.
Cheers!
Great to hear! Thanks for chiming in. Especially ability to take a route out of my RWGPS routes and send one to my garmin unit.
Old 10-20-19, 06:53 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Last summer, I coughed up the $6 per month for turn-by-turn directions. Being in a new area, it's been great for solo road rides (I use a tiny bike computer, and haven't upgraded to one with mapping capabilities yet.) I've even used it for driving, since Google Maps always wants me to get on the freeway to go like two miles and I don't find that necessary.
Oddly, while you have to pay to get turn by turn using the rwgps app, the free subscription lets you upload to garmin, wahoo, or other gps computer, with full cue sheet functionality with turn by turn, although with with directions appearing on the head unit screen rather than voice.
Old 10-20-19, 08:48 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
RWGPS is user friendly, and works great with Garmin. I started using it several years ago with my cycling club.
Old 10-20-19, 12:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Hi all. Full disclosure, I work at Ride with GPS. Just wanted to chime in to say that we released our mobile route planner on Android a few weeks ago, and we’re nearing the finish line on iOS, should be available around Thanksgiving next month. We should have done it a long time ago, but are excited for it to be here now, and it’s great! AND, for folks with devices, after you plan or edit a route on your phone, you can sync it wirelessly to your Garmin with our Connect IQ app, or sync it up with your Wahoo device.
I can’t post a URL into this thread, but if you visit our website, down in the footer you will see a Mobile Route Planner link where you can check it out. And folks on Android can use it right now.
Cheers!

Thanks for visiting and updating us.

I think this is the link you were alluding to: https://ridewithgps.com/app/mobile_route_planner
Old 10-20-19, 01:00 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
10 year RWGPS user here. I've started using Strava this year in parallel, as I am tired of telling others in my ride group that RPGPS is better overall. They're already on Strava, and their friends are already on Strava, and there's no incentive to change.
Old 10-20-19, 04:37 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
As noted by just about everyone else, I use RWGPS for making routes and sending them to my Wahoo Bolt which works great. I'm a paid subscriber to Strava and over the years I find the social aspect and chasing segment rankings less and less appealing. One thing that I would miss from Strava is all of my maintenance records but I see that RWGPS has that option for their paid subscription. I may start clean in 2020, migrate to RWGPS and be done with Strava.
Old 10-20-19, 08:30 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 976 Posts
I use RWGPS on iPhone exclusively. Planning tools are solid, searchable routes are really useful, stats are solid. Paid version, I desire to support their work. Not interested in segments or other competitive features.

Old 10-20-19, 08:35 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Cheers!
Great news @Kprentice! If you need iOS testers, I’m in!

Old 10-20-19, 11:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6
10 year RWGPS user here. I've started using Strava this year in parallel, as I am tired of telling others in my ride group that RPGPS is better overall. They're already on Strava, and their friends are already on Strava, and there's no incentive to change.
Strava will stop allowing sensors (heart rate, power) in about a week. Sounds like RWGPS has that feature. There might be an incentive very soon.
Old 10-21-19, 05:32 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I was thinking the use-case where you're somewhere, and you just want to go to somewhere else (eg. home) -- requiring to pick a start location (where you are) and one other waypoint (eg. home).. with the most popular cycling route chosen for you from point A to B.

Garmin Connect has this apparently, with upload to device option as well, so I guess I'll use that in these instances since I'd prefer to use the head unit anyway.
Wahoo offers this through its app. You can plug in a destination and it will map a route and upload to your head unit. I have tried it once or twice. The routes can be a bit odd as the algorithm seems to look for ways to put you on bike paths so even if there is a more direct option on surface roads, it won’t choose it. You’ll get there but perhaps not as quickly as if you’d mapped the route manually.

Also, when routing this way, I found the distance to turns is not nearly as precise as when using turn by turn from uploaded rwgps route.This means warnings about next turn come way early or, worse, after you passed the turn
Old 10-21-19, 05:35 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Strava will stop allowing sensors (heart rate, power) in about a week. Sounds like RWGPS has that feature. There might be an incentive very soon.
Most everyone I ride with uses strava primarily for ride tracking but rwgps for planning and route sharing. They kind of have to use rwgps for route sharing because just a couple of us do most of the route planning for the group and we use rwgps for that.
Old 10-21-19, 07:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
I use RWGPS on iPhone exclusively. Planning tools are solid, searchable routes are really useful, stats are solid. Paid version, I desire to support their work. Not interested in segments or other competitive features.
How do you access the Planning Tools on the mobile app ?. I presume that would allow you to create a route ?. Not seeing this on my iPhone
Old 10-21-19, 07:43 AM
ascherer 

Originally Posted by Steve B.
How do you access the Planning Tools on the mobile app ?. I presume that would allow you to create a route ?. Not seeing this on my iPhone
Sorry, that wasn't clear. I do route planning on a PC and probably will continue to when it's released for iOS, but I expect it to be useful for re-routing on the road.

Old 10-21-19, 09:57 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Sorry, that wasn't clear. I do route planning on a PC and probably will continue to when it's released for iOS, but I expect it to be useful for re-routing on the road.
Thx, I thought I was stupid as usual. KPrentice indicted it's a coming feature. I like RWGPS and find it worthwhile to pay for the subscription.