Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Etiquette Is Dead

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Etiquette Is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 07:36 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sojodave
There was a woman cyclist that had a flat. I pulled over and asked her if she was OK and if she needed any help. She yelled "Get Back, I have mace". I told her I was just trying to help. I guess my help wasn't appreciated...
"You don't need it, your face is enough of a deterent."
Old 03-10-16, 07:36 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
There was a woman cyclist that had a flat. I pulled over and asked her if she was OK and if she needed any help. She yelled "Get Back, I have mace". I told her I was just trying to help. I guess my help wasn't appreciated...
Next time keep your pants on.
Old 03-10-16, 07:46 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hogger453
I'm on the side of the road fixing a flat. 10 or so cyclist pass me, not a one offering assistance. I don't know but it's just a cycling thing. If I have even an inclination that a cyclist might need help, I at the least offer.
The number of other cyclist about is key. It's like waving. If you never see anyone, it's nice to, so you wave, but if there are tons of folks around, it would be ludicrous to wave at every stranger. When there are a lot of strangers around, people tend to mind own business. That's not really a lack of etiquette, and as others have suggested, if someone really needs help, a good look will usually reveal whether it's appropriate to ask. Now, if you're saying those ten or so other cyclists didn't even LOOK to see if you needed help, well, maybe a decline in awareness of the needs of other people is rant-worthy.
Originally Posted by softreset
No idea why someone would voice concern and frustration over courtesy, but as it's happened multiple times it's certain not a fluke. I've stopped multiple times and assisted people with flats, offered a frame pump or something else and I've been showered with kindness and thanks. Perhaps it's an "ego" thing. Nonetheless, it's strange. Honestly, I'll probably not stop asking (it's not in my nature) but it's pretty perplexing that people would do that.
Eh. I don't think it's strange or an intentional rejection of kindness - I suspect it's usually just frustration getting the better of them, and they wouldn't react that way in calmer, saner moments. Maybe they had been riding really hard, or intended to be somewhere at a certain time....

Last edited by kbarch; 03-10-16 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 07:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Hmm.. I'd expect if a cyclist needed assistance, they'd wave down another passing cyclist, or make some sort of indication if not wave. Staring blankly into space probably won't garner a lot of would-be helpers.
Old 03-10-16, 07:56 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
How long is it taking this guy to fix a flat for enough people to offer help for it to get annoying?
Old 03-10-16, 07:59 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Hmm.. I'd expect if a cyclist needed assistance, they'd wave down another passing cyclist, or make some sort of indication if not wave. Staring blankly into space probably won't garner a lot of would-be helpers.
It's really not hard to ask. Maybe even slow just a bit as you do. Several people I have asked were glad to accept my help, but timid about asking.
Old 03-10-16, 08:08 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
When I see someone fixing their bike at the roadside I always ask them if they need anything. Nearly always they answer "I'm fine, thanks". The ones who need help usually ask for it. The last one was weird: he asked me to help him looking for his quick release nut. He had a flat, thought he needed to take the QR away and lost the nut in the grass. He found it eventually - the spring was missing, but I assured him it would work anyway.
Another time many years ago I stopped to ask a girl on a motorcycle if she needed help, and all of a sudden her jealous boyfriend came out of nowhere, very angry, and told me to get lost...
Old 03-10-16, 08:09 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Anecdotes are anecdotal.

Here's another one.

Recently, cyclists asked me if I needed help while fixing a flat.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-10-16 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 08:11 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I agree. Nobody should ever expect human decency. It's so 19th century.
Kind of like slavery.
Old 03-10-16, 08:12 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Lol. That's pretty classic.
Old 03-10-16, 08:13 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I would not expect a rider in a group of riders to stop. I would expect solo riders to stop.
Old 03-10-16, 08:24 PM
hogger453

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BenPS
where was your team car?

lol.

Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
Add to that power meters, HRMs, iPods, GPS, and riding alone doing Strava instead of a group ride. BikeSnobNYC calls them NuFreds.
What's Strava? You never just go for a relaxing ride by yourself?

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The question is why wouldn't YOU call it a smartphone?
Because I choose too. No explanation warranted.
Old 03-10-16, 08:32 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I'm not stopping for anyone. Saw some guy with his bike flipped upside down, messing with the chain. Stopped to see if he needed help. Another guy jumped out of the bushes, threw me to the ground and took my bike. Luckily my crotch phone, or whatever you called it, was in my jersey pocket. The guys were caught 15 minutes later.

This is 2016 dude, not the 80's. You can't trust anyone.
Old 03-10-16, 08:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If I see a cyclist on the side of the road... I ask if they need help. And if the response is yes, I stop and assist anyway I can. Even if it means giving them my spare tube and CO2. I'd sure hope i'd get help if needed.
Old 03-10-16, 08:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
I'm not stopping for anyone. Saw some guy with his bike flipped upside down, messing with the chain. Stopped to see if he needed help. Another guy jumped out of the bushes, threw me to the ground and took my bike. Luckily my crotch phone, or whatever you called it, was in my jersey pocket. The guys were caught 15 minutes later.

Damn, i thought New York was a rough place, but i'm never going to western PA.
Old 03-10-16, 08:35 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one time I came across a young couple on the side of a MUP, it was raining and the girl had lost control in a sharp corner on the sealed blacktop and slid out. she had a very small brush burn on her elbow, but was looking extra pathetic huddled on the side of the trail in the wet grass. my first and only question was "is the bike ok?" her male friend found this very amusing, she did not. I informed her that while I had tools and flat repair equipment, I did not have a band-aid. still, she was not impressed. sigh, such is life.
Old 03-10-16, 08:40 PM
hogger453

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No sh** dude? I guess by 2050 we will have to lock our front doors?
Old 03-10-16, 08:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts

Shoot first, ask if they need help later?
Old 03-10-16, 08:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Well, I always stop and ask when I see someone. I've never had anyone be rude back or put off. They were seemed appreciative that I asked even though they've always had it handled. I'd feel like a jerk if I didn't at least ask if they needed help and I don't want to feel like a jerk.
Old 03-10-16, 09:00 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shoulda putta cap in his ass.
Old 03-10-16, 09:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Usually I just ask "You OK?". If I hear nothing, I just keep riding. Now, it they want to take offense, that's their issue, not mine. Asking to help is just part of being a decent human. A world where you get asked too many times? Sounds like a decent place to be if you ask me.

Ben
Old 03-10-16, 09:27 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
It was a quiet side road. I probably shouldn't have stopped but it's just impulse to stop when you see someone in need. I was just raised that way.

I guess I agree with what you said in your original post. It's just a sad state we live in nowadays.
Old 03-10-16, 09:39 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought this was going to be another waving thread!

Its the opposite around here, I can't stop on the side of the road to have a drink without a cyclist asking if I need help!

I always carry two tubes, a chain tool and a couple quick links so I'm ready to help the cyclist in need.
Old 03-10-16, 10:04 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
If it's a single rider, I'll usually slow a little and ask something, ever so often someone does need a hand.
When it's a small group, I usually don't say anything unless they look particularly confused (ie staring at an upside down bike).

The last time I stopped, I was actually in my car, and passed a guy walking his bike. I was planning to ride later, so I had a frame pump and full repair kit in my trunk. I stopped in the gas station and 10 minutes later he was grateful and back on his way.
Old 03-10-16, 10:07 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts

I can understand why you might feel that way, I'm sorry that happened to you. But that is not the answer, instead be prepared for the unexpected. Crimes like that were committed in 20s, 30s, 40s,etc also.
Unfortunately due to shoddy finish production work on my non oem wheels I had a flat every time I rode one of my bikes. (Fixed now) But every time I flatted some one asked if I was ok. Mind you they weren't cyclist, they were people in pick up trucks. I rarely see cyclist on that route at the time I bike. But one particular time I decided to patch my tube rather than use the spare and 2 people stopped and asked if I was ok, one even made a U turn and asked, I said I was ok just fixing a flat and he asked again , you sure?
On that same route I've stopped and asked people who were pulled over in their vehicles if they were ok. So it goes both ways.
But one thing for sure not every vehicle stopped to ask and I didn't get offended, nor would I if they were on a bike. Etiquette can be found and lost anywhere and everywhere by anyone or everyone. Not just cyclist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.