Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Etiquette Is Dead

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Etiquette Is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 02:27 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by hatrack71
Alot of us still were born at the time of good Christian morals.
Are those different from good Jewish morals, good Buddhist morals, or good atheist morals? Seems to me no specific religion is required to be moral and decent.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-11-16, 02:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Are those different from good Jewish morals, good Buddhist morals, or good athiest morals? Seems to me no specific religion is required to be moral and decent.

BB
Yeah, pretty much everything boils down to "don't be a dick," so wha's the difference?
Old 03-11-16, 02:36 PM
vinnyvincent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started riding and passed by my first cyclist fixing a flat the other day.

He looked like he really knew what he was doing and he was moving quickly as if he had everything he needed to do the job. Should I have asked anyways?

To be honest coming from a motorcycling background, cyclists seem a little less social so far. Almost no one waves back and what I am reading now is that waving for cyclists is "uncool"?
Old 03-11-16, 02:38 PM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously? I see you guys won't let this be. If you think an atheist has good morals.. go ahead. My position is stated and not subject to change. Argue all you want about it to me.. you are wasting your breath. Call me racist, homophobic..whatever if it makes you feel better. I'm not changing my stance now or ever.

Last edited by hatrack71; 03-11-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-11-16, 02:43 PM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously? I see you guys won't let this be. If you think an atheist has good morals.. go ahead. My position is stated and not subject to change. Argue all you want about it to me.. you are wasting your breath. Call me racist, homophobic..whatever if it makes you feel better. I'm not changing my stance now or ever.

So wait a minute...are you saying because a person is an atheist, that has any bearing at all on whether or not they would stop to help someone?
Old 03-11-16, 02:45 PM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I knew a few atheists. They tend to think of themselves as God and are not very helpful or even attentive to others.. we are reflections of our faith. If you are God-less, it shows. I really can't explain it but I can tell just from meeting someone and speaking with them for a bit. I definitely know my Christian brothers and sisters.

Last edited by hatrack71; 03-11-16 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-11-16, 02:45 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I always ask if somebody needs help. If somebody is all kitted out, it'll be a quick 'you ok?', the usual answer is 'yes, fine'. Good enough for me, happy trails buddy. If somebody is in jean and a t-shirt it's a direct 'Do you need any Help?' . It's 50/50 if they need help or not. I've fixed every thing from broken chains(I carry a chain tool, sometimes), a dropped and tangled chain(hot girl, but her hands where a black mess from her trying to untangle it herself), to a basic flat. It doesn't cost much to be nice.
Old 03-11-16, 02:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yes. I knew a few atheists. They tend to think of themselves as God and are not very helpful or even attentive to others.. we are reflections of our faith. If you are God-less, it shows. we are all connected to the Creator. I really can't explain it but I can tell just from meeting someone and speaking with them for a bit.
lol.
Old 03-11-16, 02:56 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, pretty much everything boils down to "don't be a dick," so wha's the difference?
To be specific, if we look to the one true way of the word (Velominati ? The Rules), rule 43 is pretty specific on this issue.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-11-16, 03:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
To be specific, if we look to the one true way of the word (Velominati ? The Rules), rule 43 is pretty specific on this issue.
See also Rule 83.

• Rule #83//Be self-sufficient.

Unless you are followed by a team car, you will repair your own punctures. You will do so expediently, employing your own skills, using your own equipment, and without complaining that your expensive tyres are too tight for your puny thumbs to fit over your expensive rim. The fate of a rider who has failed to equip himself pursuant to Rule #31, or who knows not how to use said equipment, shall be determined at the discretion of any accompanying or approaching rider in accordance with Rule #84.

Old 03-11-16, 03:13 PM
JetBadger

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always offer help because it is the kind thing to do. This reminds me of a situation I encountered last summer...

I stopped in the middle of a solo ride to pee in the forest (I know, not the best etiquette...). Right after I stopped a group ride came by. The group was large and split into smaller groups so I had to wait about 5 min for them all to pass between the different packs. In each pack someone looked at me and asked if I needed help, simply because I was stopped on the side of the road. I thought this was very kind, although what I really needed was them to hurry on by me so I could go do my business!

... must have been a church group
Old 03-11-16, 03:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
lol.
I'll give this thread one more page.

Now it's time for this Godless heathen to ride his bike. On the way to the MUP I will chase a few old ladies out of the crosswalks. And if they what's best for them, the geese will stay out of my way, too.
Old 03-11-16, 03:20 PM
JetBadger

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I knew a few atheists. They tend to think of themselves as God and are not very helpful or even attentive to others.. we are reflections of our faith. If you are God-less, it shows. I really can't explain it but I can tell just from meeting someone and speaking with them for a bit. I definitely know my Christian brothers and sisters.
Don't you just hate it when those darn atheists hold themselves up on a pedestal and think they are better then you, simply because of their belief system? It is almost like they automatically judge those who think differently then them. It really grinds my gears...
Old 03-11-16, 03:24 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know how to fix a flat and I don't carry anything to fix a flat - partly because of the first part. If you see me on the side of the road please help and I will be thankful, but more so it will allow me to learn a valuable skill that I didn't know before. Teach this man to fish, know what I'm sayin'? Yes, I am ignorant, yes I should learn on my own.
Old 03-11-16, 03:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by JetBadger
Don't you just hate it when those darn atheists hold themselves up on a pedestal and think they are better then you, simply because of their belief system? It is almost like they automatically judge those who think differently then them. It really grinds my gears...
Superb.
Old 03-11-16, 03:32 PM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude...most of the biggest scumbag crooks/drug addicts I've met were "christians"...
Old 03-11-16, 03:34 PM
hatrack71
bentrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I'm better than anybody. You are not understanding. These are the types of personalities that gravitate towards atheism...seemingly in my experience with the few I've met. Their whole precipice is there is NOT a power greater than themselves. Do you get that?
Old 03-11-16, 03:39 PM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
I don't know how to fix a flat and I don't carry anything to fix a flat - partly because of the first part. If you see me on the side of the road please help and I will be thankful, but more so it will allow me to learn a valuable skill that I didn't know before. Teach this man to fish, know what I'm sayin'? Yes, I am ignorant, yes I should learn on my own.
Everybody starts somewhere. If you're stuck on the road a need help, make eye contact with other cyclists and maybe a friendly wave. Somebody is sure to help.

Once you fix a couple flats, it will become the simplest thing. It's not a bad idea to check out some youtube videos and practice at home, before you get stuck out there on the road.

Also, lol@ this religious conversation. It's kind of discouraging to read some of the more judgemental stuff but the encouraging thing I have to remember is that most Christians I know have deep respect for people of other religions and wouldn't consider themselves equipped to declare themselves better than someone else based on a simple label or category.
Old 03-11-16, 03:40 PM
hatrack71
bentrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=vinnyvincent;18602092]Dude...most of the biggest scumbag crooks/drug addicts I've met were "christians"...[/QUOTE

Why am I defending Christianity? Look at the state of affairs today and the indifference people have to each other. And it's because the younger generation is moving away from God and Christianity in this nation. I'm starting to think you guys are a bunch of brainwashed Kinsey liberals. :^)

Last edited by hatrack71; 03-11-16 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-11-16, 03:40 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'll give this thread one more page.

Now it's time for this Godless heathen to ride his bike. On the way to the MUP I will chase a few old ladies out of the crosswalks. And if they what's best for them, the geese will stay out of my way, too.
or they shall be stricken down by the might of HIS wrath.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-11-16, 03:42 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Listen buddy, you better not give those Christian scumbums a logical run for their money alright. How are they just going to run around promoting their faith just 'because' when you're pointing fingers and asking questions. You better get in line, praise Jesus, and stop asking questions before you offend someone.

And for the record, sometimes I chat with folks for a little bit and get a weird sense of irrational optimism from them that when presenting them with the drab realities of a situation. I can't really explain it, it's just this weird glow that makes me think they're just a little bit dull-headed.

Disclaimer: I have helped people even while not Christian. Faith doesn't have a damn thing to do with doing the right thing. Right thing does not equal faith either.

I don't murder someone because I'm afraid of God's wraith. I don't murder someone cuz it's just a ****ty to do.
Old 03-11-16, 03:42 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
i'll give this thread one more page.

Now it's time for this godless heathen to ride his bike. On the way to the mup i will chase a few old ladies out of the crosswalks. And if they what's best for them, the geese will stay out of my way, too.
Old 03-11-16, 03:45 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I don't think I'm better than anybody. You are not understanding. These are the types of personalities that gravitate towards atheism...seemingly in my experience with the few I've met. Their whole precipice is there is NOT a power greater than themselves. Do you get that?
Ah HAH -- so that's why 'they' are Fallen??

Oh, and ****
Old 03-11-16, 03:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Why am I defending Christianity? Look at the state of affairs today and the indifference people have to each other. And it's because the younger generation is moving away from God and Christianity in this nation. I'm starting to think you guys are a bunch of Kinsey liberals. :^) Just joking but I am concerned.
After all those priests sexually abused the younger generation, what do you expect?
Old 03-11-16, 03:49 PM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=hatrack71;18602124]
Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
Dude...most of the biggest scumbag crooks/drug addicts I've met were "christians"...[/QUOTE

Why am I defending Christianity? Look at the state of affairs today and the indifference people have to each other. And it's because the younger generation is moving away from God and Christianity in this nation. I'm starting to think you guys are a bunch of Kinsey liberals. :^) Just joking but I am concerned.
I don't think the problem is Christianity... The problem is intolerance of others beliefs. Using your logic I could say that a certain personally type would gravitate towards the belief that any sun they commit could simply be erased by asking for forgiveness...

The reality is that religion is more dynamic than that and people gravitate to certain religions for a variety of reasons. Who are you to judge? Let the who is without sin cast the first stone bro...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.