Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can you redo the hub and spokes off a new rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 12:47 PM
deepspacegiant

Bikes: Giant Revolt 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm so spooked by this new venture of putting on a dynamo. Can anyone tell me if there are inherent dangers in removing spokes and a hub off new rims? Be conservative with your warnings! *shudders in fear*
Old 02-22-19, 01:00 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
If the rim is in good shape it shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming here you are replacing the hub with a dynamo hub and then using different spokes because the length is different?
Old 02-22-19, 01:03 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by deepspacegiant
I'm so spooked by this new venture of putting on a dynamo. Can anyone tell me if there are inherent dangers in removing spokes and a hub off new rims? Be conservative with your warnings! *shudders in fear*
Yes, it's dangerous for you to build a wheel. Are you also afraid of new wheels built with the same new rims? Maybe get some exercise to clear your head and relieve your stress. Then you'll start thinking about something else and forget about wheels/rims/dynamos. Good luck.
Old 02-22-19, 01:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
First wheel building Rodeo?

Can anyone tell me if there are inherent dangers in removing spokes and a hub off new rims?
Take the time to de tension each spoke a little at a time , going around the wheel so as to keep the rim round and flat..

>Using a Spoke wrench <

Identical rim , so same spokes right length?

tape the new one to the damaged rim and move the spokes over 1 by 1..

don't even disturb the lacing pattern, that way..

but a Dynamo hub is bigger, so you have to buy new spokes, of the proper length.

still have trepidation ?

Did You Know Wholesalers to bike shops build wheels from their inventory, so you can buy a built wheel and go with it..

For Cheaper than the sum of its parts @ retail..

so Q: Can you redo the hub and spokes off a new rim, ? A: Yes I can and did ..

in my case kept rim and also put in a dynamo hub , in place of OEM hub..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-23-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 01:41 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Rim swapping, with an identical ERD rim, is easy, as fiststbob notes, what your proposing from how I'm reading it, swapping the hub is not.

The chances that a dynamo hub will have the same flange dimensions are pretty remote, all the dynamo hubs I have used, SON, SP, and Shimano are significantly different in their dimensions than a normal hub due to their much larger diameter flanges, and different length spokes are needed.

If you need to change the hub, then you're changing the spokes as well, you may as well leave the old wheel intact, and buy a new rim, as you will be buying new of everything else.

For the danger part, not really seeing any danger, unless you start stripping a wheel, with no rim tape, and intentionally look directly at the spokes your working on, where there is a possibility that one could fly out and hit you in the eye (remote, but possible) if you were to break down a wheel where you weren't keeping the spokes, sip them, using bolt cutters/similar, with the rim tape intact, and there is no real danger (again, don't look at the spoke holes you are working on directly).
Old 02-22-19, 03:55 PM
deepspacegiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was honestly just being conservative about the spokes and getting new ones assuming the old ones would be damaged somehow in taking them off. Probably too anxious about it per the normal
Old 02-22-19, 04:05 PM
deepspacegiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh my Im exposing my fears to the masses!
Old 02-22-19, 04:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts

If you are using straight spokes, there are some places that have spoke threaders. Cut the spoke and rethread. Our local co-op has one, although I've only seen it used by their staff.
Old 02-22-19, 04:53 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I was honestly just being conservative about the spokes and getting new ones assuming the old ones would be damaged somehow in taking them off. Probably too anxious about it per the normal
If you use a properly sized spoke wrench and unthread the nipples a fraction of turn at a time while working all around the wheel until everything is slack both the spokes and rim will be fine. However, as noted, you will almost certainly need spokes of a different length to match the new hub.

+1 to jimc101's advice. If you are changing both the hub and the spokes, an entire new wheel built using the proper components is probably not much more costly and you would have your original wheel as a spare.
Old 02-22-19, 06:03 PM
deepspacegiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider

+1 to jimc101's advice. If you are changing both the hub and the spokes, an entire new wheel built using the proper components is probably not much more costly and you would have your original wheel as a spare.
So HillRider would you just suggest getting two dishes and making both wheels? Bc right now I feel like it is worth it to get a wheel set together so both wheels can be the same and look feel the same. In that case hubs are super expensive I've found. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 02-22-19, 06:11 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
To add to the above excellent recommendations, I advise getting familiar with some of the available spoke calculators. I like spokechart or spokecalc. Exploring these resources will orient you to all of the measurements that go into determining proper spoke length. Practice using the numbers for your current hub and rim and then do the same for your new hub. If you are adventuresome, you can remove one of your existing spokes and measure it to see if your calculation exercise was accurate.

It does sound from your posts that you have quite a bit of angst about this project. If you can control your fears, plan ahead, and work methodically, you will learn a great deal and will gain confidence in your skills. There is a lot that goes into a properly built wheel but most of the tricky stuff is related to tensioning and truing. Lacing up a wheel is pretty easy (though I have to admit even though I have built hundreds of wheels I still occasionally have to take a laced wheel back apart because I wasn't paying sufficient attention). Once laced you can take it to a shop for the tensioning and truing.
Old 02-23-19, 01:14 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
So HillRider would you just suggest getting two dishes and making both wheels? Bc right now I feel like it is worth it to get a wheel set together so both wheels can be the same and look feel the same. In that case hubs are super expensive I've found. Maybe I'm wrong?
What is a dish? do you mean a rim?

From your original post, you were asking about stripping a new wheel, and re-using the rim, with a dynamo hub, now your saying that there is an issue with the cost of the hubs, surely this a minor issue as your moving to what is a more expensive type of hub, and you should have accounted for this when looking to change type.

It makes little sense to strip a new wheel for the rim, as you will need to replace everything on the wheel (hub, spokes, nipples), apart from the rim if going to a different type/design of hub, in this case, a dynamo hub. You may as well keep the orginal wheel, and bu a new rim/get your builder to build with a new rim.
Old 02-23-19, 10:27 AM
deepspacegiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel ya Jim I’m a hella idiot. However at this time I’m resolute in continuing on with buying a rim set for cheap, dismantling the front, and redoing it with new spokes and aforementioned hun and the really great information from the guy 2 replies up! Thanks for the advice!!!! I
Old 02-23-19, 04:32 PM
deepspacegiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
To add to the above excellent recommendations, I advise getting familiar with some of the available spoke calculators. I like spokechart or spokecalc.
It does sound from your posts that you have quite a bit of angst about this project. If you can control your fears, plan ahead, and work methodically, you will learn a great deal and will gain confidence in your skills.
Thank you so much for your post.
Old 02-24-19, 01:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Consider buying a cheap used wheel from a bike co-op or Craigslist, taking it apart, and rebuilding it a couple times before you start on the new wheel. Then you're not out much if you completely screw up the old wheel while practicing.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-24-19, 02:02 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
I feel ya Jim I’m a hella idiot. However at this time I’m resolute in continuing on with buying a rim set for cheap, dismantling the front, and redoing it with new spokes and aforementioned hun and the really great information from the guy 2 replies up! Thanks for the advice!!!! I
Nonsense: buying a wheelset just to use the front rim?!? Isn't it obvious that by just purchasing an assembled dynamo wheel instead of messing with multiple wheels, spokes, disassembly, re-assembly, etc. you'll be way ahead? Without a doubt, your irrational fears will lead to poor decisions, and thus mistakes ultimately causing you to be maimed -- a self-fulfilling prophesy.

What's your thread really about?
Old 02-25-19, 06:35 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Nonsense: buying a wheelset just to use the front rim?!? Isn't it obvious that by just purchasing an assembled dynamo wheel instead of messing with multiple wheels, spokes, disassembly, re-assembly, etc. you'll be way ahead?
Exactly. Buying a complete wheel in order to use a rim that you could have bought for less money and also throwing away the hub and spokes from that wheel does not compute. If all you need to build a wheel is a rim, then buy a rim. Don't buy a wheel