Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

FANY Ride Day 3

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

FANY Ride Day 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 07:31 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
FANY Ride Day 3

Saratoga Monument, 2500 British soldiers surrendered

Creamery, my wife got chocolate milk and it was super!

Covered bridge near Cambridge

Wetish start to the day

Steepest climb (avg) of the week. Minimum of 11% and maxed at 17%. Averaged 14.6%.

Nice church building in a small town.

We were riding in a small group with some females and one fella said “great rack”! A few seconds later we all broke out laughing like a bunch of teenagers ......you had to have been there.

Documenting the monument.
A 100 miles with 5000’ of climbing from Fair Haven to Cambridge, NY. There were other options of 50 & miles. A great day to ride! It rained overnight but stopped around 7:30 am this morning so the roads were pretty wet starting out. I’d brought my rear splash guard and put it on for the start. Once it’s adjusted it takes 5 seconds to strap it around the seat post, one of my better investments!

We stayed in a B&B last night which was perfect. But I was on their schedule for breakfast and food choices. While I’m not a picky eater I am selective about what I eat preride, especially a 100 miler. I ate what was presented and it was okay. But I felt like I started an hour later than I’d would have preferred,

Supper Monday night was incredible. But it’s probably smart to avoid $$$$$ Restaurants when you’re in a calorie deficit! I put a big hole in my credit card.

I didn’t have my recovery drink after yesterday’s ride and my legs felt more tired this morning. But I’d gone to bed early and was up at 3 am with stomach issues so maybe that played a part??? Note to self.....avoid oysters on the half shell on bike tours!

Not long into today’s ride I pass a female rider and look over and it’s a cycling friend who managed registration for me at the time trials we did at Charlotte Motor Speedway??? I had no idea that she was 1000 miles away from home like me riding the same tour. We rode together for a few miles catching up.

I ate very little today but it was just perfect. A pack of crackers, pb&j sandwich and a few chips. I had two cokes which were lifesavers. I really needed the caffeine and sugar and it was perfect.

I loved today’s route but it was back loaded with hills the last 30 miles. In fact the steepest climb (20%) and longest climbs were in that section.

My wife and I finished the day with another great dinner and I had 4 pints of a Vermont stout with maple syrup flavoring. Another great day on the road!!!

Last edited by jppe; 07-24-19 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-23-19, 07:43 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Old 07-24-19, 12:26 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Awesome! We got a cold front in S Texas it was 94 today Anyways the pictures are great showing the bike tour as you cruise.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-24-19, 04:09 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Love your photos. a long time ago NY's department for tourism had an ad campaign that showed scenes like your photos with the object of reminding people that New York State was more than New York City. In the ad were lush scenes like your photos with people from different parts of the world saying, for example, "I'm from Hamburg but I love New York" or "I'm from Taiwan but I love New York".
Old 07-24-19, 08:32 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I have been through some of those exact places in my younger days with my family. Again, makes me homesick in a big way. Love the shot of the old country road and the monuments. Looks like you are having a great time.
Frank.