Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A little help?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A little help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 10:47 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
A little help?

An interesting situation just arose:

I don't know how interesting, however, since I'm not a Bianchi expert and don't know all the dating details and certainly am not up to speed on the details separating the upper-end models.

For the time being, this is the only pic I have. I see a Columbus tubing decal, but can't tell exactly what type - could be Aelle. Seems to be a triangular decal (Columbus fork?) in the place one would normally find a rectangular one. Modolo brakes seem to indicate below uppermost tier, but all else seems to be Campy - the front hub looks like a Phil Wood. BB tunnels underneath shell, clamp on FD.

Anyone have any idea as to the model? Year?

Thanks!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-07-19 at 11:58 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-23-19, 11:02 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Those chrome lugs sure make the frame look like a supercorsa or superlegera.
Likes For Kuromori:
Old 07-23-19, 11:12 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Not a Bianchi expert, but looks like a nice broom.

Pre-CPSC rear skewers suggests pre-1978, but the below BB cable routing and front skewer suggests perhaps a bit later? Single water bottle mounts also suggest no later than mid-80s. Gorgeous chrome lugs and seat stay caps. Sort of a hodge-podge. I wish we could see a ds shot. Wheelset seems mismatched: mix of pre- and post-CPSC skewers. Front hub looks Phil Wood-esque, but not sure, and different from rear? Dig those Modolo brakes.

I suspect the frame is too large for you based on your other bikes.

Rear brake cable length is offensive.
Old 07-23-19, 11:18 PM
Kuromori

Piaggio sticker would mean post-1980 if original, and it does look like an early Piaggio frame. It could have been stripped down to a frame only, then built up with period correctish parts, or the owner just liked black parts.
Old 07-23-19, 11:23 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kuromori
Those chrome lugs sure make the frame look like a supercorsa or superlegera.
See, this is my problem, I don't know the details. I figured chrome head lugs would be uppermost tier, but am not conversant with the order for such Bianchis as Supercorsa, Superleggera or Campione del Monde, etc. I figure this is higher up the food chain, but to be honest, the Modolos throw me if this was originally sold as a complete bike. Same goes for what I think are Phil hubs.

DD
Old 07-23-19, 11:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Not a Bianchi expert, but looks like a nice broom.

Pre-CPSC rear skewers suggests pre-1978, but the below BB cable routing and front skewer suggests perhaps a bit later? Single water bottle mounts also suggest no later than mid-80s. Gorgeous chrome lugs and seat stay caps. Sort of a hodge-podge. I wish we could see a ds shot. Wheelset seems mismatched: mix of pre- and post-CPSC skewers. Front hub looks Phil Wood-esque, but not sure, and different from rear? Dig those Modolo brakes.

I suspect the frame is too large for you based on your other bikes.

Rear brake cable length is offensive.
It might be the non-drive shot, but it appears to be close for size. I'll know more when I get my tape measure out. Wheelset is most likely a match (the rims both say Ambrosio, anyway, tho the rear hub is hard to discern), but the QR levers don't match. Could surely use a DS pic, but it appears everything else but the Modolo brakes and placeholder pedals is Campy. As far as dating it by the components I'd say that's a fool's game - it's much more likely one of our Bianchi experts will date it by the frame details.

I've always said if I had a grail bike anymore it would be a high-end Bianchi. Maybe I've found one? Oh, and I'll take care of that rear brake housing toot-sweet if I add this to my stable

DD
Old 07-23-19, 11:43 PM
Kuromori

There is the chance that the owner just liked black parts, which would explain why all the parts that don't match up are black.
Old 07-24-19, 12:15 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kuromori
There is the chance that the owner just liked black parts, which would explain why all the parts that don't match up are black.
Oh, it's not the color but the manufacturer. It seemed to me that in the early 80s many bikes were offered in varying degrees of Campy/whatever mix. I thought this might be one of those offerings. After doing some more looking around online, I've been able to find some spec-sheets and some pics that seem to suggest this is either a Supercorsa or Superleggera. According to the catalog info I've found, the frames were essentially the same and the component selection distinguished the two.

Also possible that the frame was purchased alone and the parts were spec'd to the PO's ideal. In the end, if I can ascertain it's an SC or SL I think I'll take a flyer.

DD
Old 07-24-19, 12:21 AM
Kuromori

I meant that the original owner decided to swap out the original silver catalog spec parts for black parts, the stem, brakes and wheels, none of which are the same make as catalog spec but all are black.
Old 07-24-19, 12:30 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Ah, okay - I understand now where you were going. Sure, if this was a complete bike anybody could've swapped out stuff. I'm sure the wheelset was not OEM, for example, if sold as a complete bike.

I am really hoping someone can confirm it's an SC or SL. Then I'll know what to do

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-24-19, 04:51 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Ah, okay - I understand now where you were going. Sure, if this was a complete bike anybody could've swapped out stuff. I'm sure the wheelset was not OEM, for example, if sold as a complete bike.

I am really hoping someone can confirm it's an SC or SL. Then I'll know what to do

DD
I hear you on the Modolos, but everything else on this frame seems to indicate higher-end. Someone splurged with Super Record here, and the black Cinelli 1R and wrapped leather bars can't be all bad. I'd be curious if the clamps under the leather are Modolo, or Campagnolo shoved into the Modolo levers.

-Kurt

Old 07-24-19, 05:04 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I'd love to have it and give it the attention it deserves, no matter what model/year it is. Its a much-finer bike than my old Volpe, clearly.
Old 07-24-19, 05:30 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Modolo brakes on a "good" bike...

I can't confirm anything,but... Don't worry too much about the brakes, gents. The Modolo brakes in question are the "professional" (marked "intern pat"), they were the same as the "master pro" but without the titanium bits and 24k gold plated washers. - The master pro being regarded by some as superior to... yep.*

These might have been considered more like a cross grade, than a downgrade.

*Greg LeMond and a few other notable riders (Hinault, Fignon, etc.)used Master Pros....

Cheers, Eric
Old 07-24-19, 05:33 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
When I see Bianchi, all I see is green. Those things confuse me.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-24-19, 05:53 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by robbietunes
when i see bianchi, all i see is green. Those things confuse me.
+1
Old 07-24-19, 07:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
With the chrome accents I think it could be a 1979 Super-Leggera, before 79 would have Campy brake cable clamps. What is funk is the placement of the Columbus decal at the shifters, all I've seen have been at the seatlug. The Piaggio decal postdates the frame a few years. I do not recognize the decal under the seatlug. The modolo is not spec to the bike.
Old 07-24-19, 07:58 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
The side of the rear hub through the dropout cutout looks black - maybe a phil wood hub as well? Or just a dirty hub side.

Super record crankset looks like.

Last edited by Narhay; 07-24-19 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-24-19, 08:30 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
With a better thread title @bianchigirl probably would have been here already to help out.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 07-24-19, 08:39 AM
Last ride 76 

DD, Celeste, top to bottom, but...
Apparently Bianchi chromed seat stay caps, a detail that came and went... 79-82, only found on the SL, and SC. Oh, and nice Pista. I got curious, would not bet the farm, but what I found...
Cheers, Eric
Old 07-24-19, 08:52 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
DD, Celeste, top to bottom, but...
Apparently Bianchi chromed seat stay caps, a detail that came and went... 79-82, only found on the SL, and SC. Oh, and nice Pista. I got curious, would not bet the farm, but what I found...
Cheers, Eric

The 1982 had the hockey stick logo.
Old 07-24-19, 09:00 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
The 1982 had the hockey stick logo.
So only 3 years? or did it start in '78. Short term memory flickering:

Edit: Thx, the chrome stayed, as Mr. 66 pointed out, but switched to "hockey stick" logo (in '83 Saarf website shows 82 racing catalog still with Bianchi spelled out.) Phew, short term memory unchanged, but I need reading glasses to see detail, I knew that.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-24-19 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-24-19, 09:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Pretty, but too small for me (And judging by the amount of seatpost too tall for the current owner). Super helpful, I know.
Old 07-24-19, 11:11 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
With the chrome accents I think it could be a 1979 Super-Leggera, before 79 would have Campy brake cable clamps. What is funk is the placement of the Columbus decal at the shifters, all I've seen have been at the seatlug. The Piaggio decal postdates the frame a few years. I do not recognize the decal under the seatlug. The modolo is not spec to the bike.
Thanks! And yeah, the location of the Columbus decal - and whatever the triangular decal is at the top of the seat tube - was throwing me, too. After searching around for images I found a number that show the decal in the same position as here, so I'm a little more confident this is an SC or SL and the tubing is in fact Columbus SL.

I'm just hoping it's not too big. It still looks the right size in my eye (I eyeball it by considering the distance between the two head lugs) and I'll honestly be disappointed if it won't fit. While not going cheap, it's not in the stratosphere, either. Hmmm...

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-24-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 11:14 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Narhay
The side of the rear hub through the dropout cutout looks black - maybe a phil wood hub as well? Or just a dirty hub side.

Super record crankset looks like.
I thought the same thing, and the other end seems to indicate a Phil Wood flange, too (I've owned a pair or two). Cranks are SR - I can just make out the logo when I zoom in.

DD
Old 07-24-19, 11:17 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by cudak888
I hear you on the Modolos, but everything else on this frame seems to indicate higher-end. Someone splurged with Super Record here, and the black Cinelli 1R and wrapped leather bars can't be all bad. I'd be curious if the clamps under the leather are Modolo, or Campagnolo shoved into the Modolo levers.

-Kurt
Agreed - and you know what, I also thought that was an Almarc leather covering, but when zooming in on the pic on my laptop, I can just make out some lines, like it's some sort of tape instead. I wonder about the clamps, too. Would they be compatible with Campy?

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.