Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When you restore what paint if any?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 01:00 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts

I love old bikes and every once in a while you get one that needs painting,.. badly. Is careful prep and priming, cureing and sanding in prep of a rattle can spray job a good or bad thing? Now, I realize a rattle can job may not be as impervious to uv. Bikes that get kept outdoors have more to worry about than getting struck by uv. One question is, what's the life expectancy of a properly done spray can job. I've put together bikes that looked great and lasted for many years and many hard tours without chipping or scratching. I could see my paint job outliving me so..... would you see a problem with including a rc paint job on a cl or eBay "for sale" site. You certainly can't lie if asked a question but other than providing lots of photos, what obligation does the seller have to disclose a bikes paint history? I know it's more of a ethics question than a biking one but I enjoy breaking down a abused classic bike and bringing it back to life. If the only ethical solution is to desist from painting then so be it but generally people don't think a rc is a respected paint procedure and paint jobs that are respected cost hundreds.
No "right" answer but I'd like to know your opinion?
Old 07-24-19, 02:38 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
If a seller knows there is a dent, which might be overlooked by a prospective buyer, the seller should note the dent. Similarly, a non-original paint job should be noted. Some people can live with dents and non-original paint, others can't and will feel duped.

For the most part, it's hard to justify a repaint on a flipper. If it's a low- to mid-range bike, the buyer will be glad it looks new and you'll invest too much time repainting it. If it's a high-end bike, the buyer may regret the new finish and you will also likely invest too much time/money repainting. My 2 cents.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 07-24-19, 02:53 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I've found my self looking at farm implement paint with the idea of brushing it on. But I've got a pile of nice frames with lousy paint that I'd like to send back out into the world with out a lot of cash invested.
Old 07-24-19, 03:32 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Should I Paint My Bike is a question that crops up all the time and, before doing so, you should get an understanding how doing so can negatively impact the value of the bike in question.

Painting will cost considerably, in cash, time, effort and frustration, even if you do the work yourself and with a brush. This old Peugeot's paint work and art was gone, covered up by different coats of paint and then uglyfied by adding and leaving paint stripper. I painted it with a brush...
Old 07-24-19, 04:08 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Should I Paint My Bike is a question that crops up all the time and, before doing so, you should get an understanding how doing so can negatively impact the value of the bike in question.

Painting will cost considerably, in cash, time, effort and frustration, even if you do the work yourself and with a brush. This old Peugeot's paint work and art was gone, covered up by different coats of paint and then uglyfied by adding and leaving paint stripper. I painted it with a brush...
That is an exceptionally good job. A nice bike like this that has been over painted is positively a candidate for refinishing. Not economical perhaps, but a very worthy project in other ways. Excellent restoration!
Old 07-24-19, 01:14 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
I repainted this aluminum Trek and sold it. I had only the frame and a carbon fork which I got for $10. The frame was badly scratched. So I stripped it and used etching primer and Rustoleum paint, Ebay decals, and a clear coat. I had to sand and spot paint 5 times because I suck. In the end it looked ok. I had a buyer before I even hung any components on it. I try to make it as durable as possible...baking it in the hot sun against the garage door for a few days.

Old 07-24-19, 02:34 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Very good and thoughtfull answers. I guess disclosing a new paint job will be my new policy. I only do it when I think there is no other way and add decals as well. A recent buyer gave me a negative review in spite of getting a great price on a nice looking bike but I can see where some might not want or expect it.
Old 07-24-19, 02:47 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I guess disclosing a new paint job will be my new policy.
Yup, new paint/art should be disclosed when selling.
Old 07-24-19, 03:09 PM
GeoffroyFromLux

Bikes: Motobecane CT2 1984

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 9 Posts

I did the paint job myself on this frame :
Mohibel aerosol 2k and epoxy clearcoat 2k.
it costs around 100$ just for paint and clear coat (2 cans of each)

after wet sanding and polishing the result is great but not resistant as a professional powder coating epoxy I think and cost almost the same at the end
Old 07-24-19, 03:45 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoffroyFromLux

I did the paint job myself on this frame :
Mohibel aerosol 2k and epoxy clearcoat 2k.
it costs around 100$ just for paint and clear coat (2 cans of each)

after wet sanding and polishing the result is great but not resistant as a professional powder coating epoxy I think and cost almost the same at the end
Paint may not be as strong as powder coat, but it can be stripped off again without removing any rust resistant finish that was applied to the frame before painting. In fact, I'm not sure just how you would remove a powder coat. Bead blast, I figure.
Old 07-24-19, 07:48 PM
Goofball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts

What means "paint"?🐴
Old 07-25-19, 08:44 AM
DaleEArnold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've had 3 frame sets repainted 3 decades ago using the then high tea 2 part IMRON Paints by DUPONT...Due to the High Toxicity of exposure these paints were toned down a lot.. But that paint really worked as it still on those bikes and they look like new after 30 years of of and on riding..Rain, Salt & dirt !!!
Old 07-25-19, 08:45 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
You might want to look at spray.bike. It's essentially a powdercoat-in-a-can, specifically for painting bikes. I haven't used it myself yet, but from my research, it seems to be much more forgiving than traditional spray paint and doesn't require all the prep, sanding, and additional coats. It's a matte finish out of the can, but they also sell clearcoats to give a glossy finish.
Old 07-25-19, 10:42 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I’ve done two bikes now with rattlecan (mostly because in my area repaints run $600+CAD and powder coat (including prep) can be $400+ CAD so professional help is out of the picture for a bike only worth $200 at best);

@randyjawa’s site was extremely helpful; I did one bike spray only and did have trouble with runs and good coverage (ie too much here too little there); the second was a combination brush and spray.

Brush was hard to keep dust free (takes longer to cure). Both worked out better than I expected in the end but it takes a LOT of prep and care in the doing. I probably bought $100 in sandpaper’s/clay/buffing products.

In the end I found paint to be much softer than original and you need to let it cure waaaaaay longer than the instructions on the can say. For spray -
minimum of a week between coats (due to solvents that allow the paint to be sprayed); brushed I could do another coat within a couple of days but if you plan to sand between coats (and you should) also wait a week or you’ll probably hit uncured paint pretty quickly.

Overall though you can get a really satisfactory result.
Old 07-26-19, 04:48 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
How far back does spray technology go?

Kinda wondering what the state of the art was for brushed on paint?
Old 07-26-19, 09:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
re spray.bike paint - I've done 3 frames with it. My first still looks the same as almost 2 years ago. I'm guessing it has 1000mi on it since painting and been ridden in rain/wet grit pavement.
The second is in good condition still and owned by a teen(so not easy on it) who rides the bike to school.
The third is a kids mtb frame that my youngest uses. It's been 4 months since paint and she has rubbed/scratched the top tube a bunch due to swinging her leg over. It's a bit big for her still, so that's partly why.
The rest of the frame's paint is great and has held up as expected to all the brush/sand/dirt on river bottom single track trails.

Prep is most important. 85% prep 15% paint.
It wont look like a professional wet paint, but it is durable and looks as good as I care for it to look.