Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Beginner, should I buy a new 2020 Contend AR or a used 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Beginner, should I buy a new 2020 Contend AR or a used 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint?

Old 08-05-19, 01:51 PM
ytruhg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you to everyone in the last thread. I went to a bike store today and they said I am most definitely a 56.
The bike store suggested I go with the Giant CONTEND AR 1 which is coming out in a few weeks for $1550 + tax which includes a free fitting (normally $100). So a total of $1650
I see on eBay near me a 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint 56cm that the seller is rating at 9/10. It does not have disc breaks and everything is stock except handle bar and stem. I can get it for $1200 plus I will need $100 for fitting and I guess another $100 to check it out. So a total of $1400. So pretty similar in price.

Between those two, what would you suggest for a beginner?

Thank you
Old 08-05-19, 02:09 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
The Contend looks to be a great spec. An excellent bike for someone getting into cycling. Almost certainly a bit heavier than the Allez Sprint, but better suited for endurance riding. Get it if you like the test ride and the shop.

I have an older model Contend SL Disc, which uses the lighter frame that sadly Giant isn't offering in the US for 2020. Other than the frame weight, the AR looks to be better in every way.
Old 08-05-19, 02:09 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
How much steertube is left on the Allez Sprint? (I didn't see a 56 Allez Sprint on eBay for $1200.)

My guess is not much, as it seems be the trend to slam the stem on those. If you don't have much steertube to work with, you may be SOL in getting a proper fit on the bike. Also, the Allez Sprint is a fairly aggressive geometry compared to something like a Contend.
Old 08-05-19, 02:25 PM
ytruhg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surak
The Contend looks to be a great spec. An excellent bike for someone getting into cycling. Almost certainly a bit heavier than the Allez Sprint, but better suited for endurance riding. Get it if you like the test ride and the shop.

I have an older model Contend SL Disc, which uses the lighter frame that sadly Giant isn't offering in the US for 2020. Other than the frame weight, the AR looks to be better in every way.
Thank you. The used new price was $1900 so I thought it was better

Originally Posted by topflightpro
How much steertube is left on the Allez Sprint? (I didn't see a 56 Allez Sprint on eBay for $1200.)

My guess is not much, as it seems be the trend to slam the stem on those. If you don't have much steertube to work with, you may be SOL in getting a proper fit on the bike. Also, the Allez Sprint is a fairly aggressive geometry compared to something like a Contend.
The allez is listed at $1380 (I cant post links yet) (there is money back now from ebay to reduce the cost)

THank you
Old 08-05-19, 02:49 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by ytruhg
The allez is listed at $1380 (I cant post links yet) (there is money back now from ebay to reduce the cost)

THank you
Found it. For some reason, it didn't show under my first search.

It looks like you have about 1 cm of steertube above the stem. Still, the two bikes have wildly different geometries. The Giant is much, much, much taller than the Specialized. The 56 Allez stack is the same as a Small contend, but the 56 Allez reach is the longer than the L Giant.

You're really comparing apples and cupcakes with those two frames.
Old 08-05-19, 03:01 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Go find a CAAD 12. You might like it better. It's worth checking out.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-05-19, 04:00 PM
ytruhg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
Go find a CAAD 12. You might like it better. It's worth checking out.
It looks closer to the giant than the Allez. Is this a more relaxed ride? I am not going to be a professional racer so more relaxed will be probably better for me. What about this is better than the Giant?

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Found it. For some reason, it didn't show under my first search.

It looks like you have about 1 cm of steertube above the stem. Still, the two bikes have wildly different geometries. The Giant is much, much, much taller than the Specialized. The 56 Allez stack is the same as a Small contend, but the 56 Allez reach is the longer than the L Giant.

You're really comparing apples and cupcakes with those two frames.
Being that they so different, which one is better for someone who will not be professionally biking?

Thank you
Old 08-05-19, 04:54 PM
topflightpro

Probably the Giant. The more relaxed geometry is likely to be more inviting to a newer rider.

The Allez Sprint is a great bike - I have one - but it is an aggressive position.
Old 08-05-19, 06:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by ytruhg
It looks closer to the giant than the Allez. Is this a more relaxed ride? I am not going to be a professional racer so more relaxed will be probably better for me. What about this is better than the Giant?

Being that they so different, which one is better for someone who will not be professionally biking?

Thank you
Well, I'm 73 and my "go to" bike has been a Guru Sidero which is steel. I find my CAAD 12 to be as quick and as comfortable. I don't know the Giant. I was just suggesting that you try the CAAD to see if it worked for you. I bought mine about 2 months ago for $1300.