Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Araya rims machined inside the tire beads, why?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 10:37 AM
Earl Cannenbere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WHY would someone take a grinding wheel to Araya 700C rims from bead to bead (inside the tires).
Araya wheels still had original Miyata tires installed, on a Miyata 312 frame in otherwise perfect condition.

No good pictures even if I could post them. About 1-2" of grinding in between 2 eyelets seems demented.

Is this anti-theft disfigurement?
Old 08-26-19, 11:30 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Is it just between the two spokes straight across from the valve hole? If so, that's where the rim was welded and ground to make for a consistent inside profile.
Old 08-26-19, 11:52 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Wait; I thought your name was spelled "Camembert", even though it's pronounced "Cannenbere"......

Pic assist:
Old 08-26-19, 12:13 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Most likely the old rim tape deteriorated on the previous owner and sort of melted and stuck on to the rim. So the owner used a wire brush wheel to grind the material off.....
Old 08-26-19, 12:18 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
In a rare example of poor Japanese quality control, many OEM rims suffered a hasty "grinding" procedure at the weld.

And not just inside of the rim. I've seen OEM Araya rims with heavy grinding having created a monstrous variation of the rim's thickness across the brake tracks, giving the braking action a quite heavy pulsation that no amount of usage would ever smooth out.

Noting here that it was always the OEM rims from Weinmann and Araya that seemed to be the worst in this regard, while the aftermarket rims bought at retail tended to be of consistently higher quality. This is apparently what happens when OEM's drive too hard of a bargain on the price of a large order of rims!
Likes For dddd:
Old 08-26-19, 01:56 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Most likely the old rim tape deteriorated on the previous owner and sort of melted and stuck on to the rim. So the owner used a wire brush wheel to grind the material off.....
Nope. That's where it was welded at the factory, and the weld ground down.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 08-27-19, 09:56 AM
Earl Cannenbere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
In a rare example of poor Japanese quality control, many OEM rims suffered a hasty "grinding" procedure at the weld.

And not just inside of the rim. I've seen OEM Araya rims with heavy grinding having created a monstrous variation of the rim's thickness across the brake tracks, giving the braking action a quite heavy pulsation that no amount of usage would ever smooth out.

Noting here that it was always the OEM rims from Weinmann and Araya that seemed to be the worst in this regard, while the aftermarket rims bought at retail tended to be of consistently higher quality. This is apparently what happens when OEM's drive too hard of a bargain on the price of a large order of rims!
Exactly - now I see the faint weld line on the opposite side of the ground area. Thanks.
SEE my photo retrieved by madpogue above, using flash was out of the question.
SEE the legend Earl Camembert on his bicycle - search YT for "One on the Town: Urban Transit"
Old 08-27-19, 10:08 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
As Floyd might say, "EARL!! What, are you crazy? You're gonna get yourself KILLED!"

Synchronicity - two nights ago, we found the near-doppelganger to that bike, an all-chrome '85 Ross Piranha. Judging by the cars, however, I'd say Earl's jaunt dates to about 1980. Gawd, that whole troupe were effing comic geniuses. "The woodchuck hibernates in snowy climes....."