Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What side/spoke lighting/reflectors do you like?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What side/spoke lighting/reflectors do you like?

Old 10-06-19, 09:26 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am a big believer in Proviz's reflective products.
Old 10-07-19, 10:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Good job, @BobbyG! I'm not willing to put reflective clothing on, beyond things on my ankles. It's too much trouble for me. The other exception is that I do wear a reflective vest when I ride the e-trike, which is my part-time job. I do it not only for visibility but also to mark me as "I'm workin' here!"

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-19, 12:31 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Black reflective strips on tires? I haven't seen that until now. Looks good in the daylight photos.

I'd like to see photos of the black and the white reflective strips next to each other in a night photo.
I might be able to do that but not this week.

This is what they look like on the tyre:

And with flash on:

They are just a tiny bit less "white" as the regular version but still show up really well.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-07-19, 01:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I don't do a lot on the wheels, but try to find at least taillights that have some lateral visibility. I do like my shoe lights (https://www.nighttechgear.com/products/night-runner-270).

I have been looking for better rear cuff lights. I found some spurs which may be OK with some shoes, but my cycling shoes don't have very big heels.

For wheels, some brands of tires have reflective strips. I think Schwalbe Marathons and Panaracer TourGuard both have reflective strips. Probably other brands with commuter tires.
Old 10-07-19, 02:15 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Black reflective strips on tires? I haven't seen that until now. Looks good in the daylight photos.

I'd like to see photos of the black and the white reflective strips next to each other in a night photo.
Same here, my exact reaction. If they're still bright enough, I'd much rather have a black appearance that reflects when shone on. Based on the pictures, I think I want this now.
Old 10-07-19, 05:15 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I might be able to do that but not this week.

This is what they look like on the tyre:

And with flash on:

They are just a tiny bit less "white" as the regular version but still show up really well.
Looks very promising. Thank you for the photos so far.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-08-19, 02:14 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I had some leftover retro-reflective tape from when I outfitted my daughter's stroller, so I cut 4 pieces of it and placed it on the opposing side of the rim, like this, but not all the way around:

As a driver I find that reflectors moving up and down attract more attention than a fully-reflective sidewall (although that's pretty good as well). Plus I don't really want to be a moving light show, that is actually quite distracting. You can get all kinds of retro-reflective tape off Amazon, in all kinds of colors, including gray/black.
Old 10-16-19, 09:20 AM
DireWolfNC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have reflective sidewalls on my bike (Continental Contact II), as well as several FLECTR products I have picked up via their Kickstarter campaigns (FLECTR 360 OMNI on the rims, FLECTR VORTEX on my cranks). I have hit the bike with the beam of a flash light several times while camping, and the light reflected back is blinding, even from ~100 meters away.
Old 10-29-19, 08:11 AM
Andrew1240

Bikes: Surly, Genesis, Colnago

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to declare an interest here, but I had such a problem with side-visibility whilst commuting in London that I designed my own light, The Orb.

It's a bike light and bidon, with USB charged LEDs in the lid which illuminate the bottle (you can also drink from it as normal).

By being in the centre of the bike, it also highlights the pedalling motion of your legs, so drivers see that biological movement and recognise you as a cyclist.

www.orb.bike/about-the-orb/
Old 10-29-19, 09:57 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Andrew1240
Have to declare an interest here, but I had such a problem with side-visibility whilst commuting in London that I designed my own light, The Orb.

It's a bike light and bidon, with USB charged LEDs in the lid which illuminate the bottle (you can also drink from it as normal).

By being in the centre of the bike, it also highlights the pedalling motion of your legs, so drivers see that biological movement and recognise you as a cyclist.

www.orb.bike/about-the-orb/
This is a very good idea. Kind of surprised no-one has done it before. Think I'm going to get myself one for Christmas. I have excellent reflective clothing (I personally like Proviz) but no side lighting. Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 10-29-19, 10:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I got some ankle bands with lights in them for something like $2 on ebay. Each band uses two CR2032 cells. The ankle motion should be a good attention grabber.

I also put reflective tape all around my pedals. My pedals didn't come with reflectors.

One of these days, I want someone to ride my bike with all my gadgets so I can observe it myself.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-29-19, 10:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBDan
I'm looking to brigten up my profile view now that it's getting dark during the commutes. I currently have front and rear blinkies, another brighter constant front light, and a rear helmet light that slowly pulses or is steady. I also wear a hiviz yellow jacket.

Should i just throw the stock reflectors back on the wheels? I know there's all sorts of spoke lights, tape, leg bands, etc. What's good?
I'm currently slipping into my asbestos undies because I can hear the flame throwers lighting up right now but I take a very different tack on side reflectors...

They are mostly useless.

That said, I do have them on my bikes but only because it is required by my state's traffic laws...as it is in all other US states. But, in terms of effectiveness, they are very ineffective. The angle of an automobile light that will illuminate them is too shallow. Even a CPSC study agrees. I came to my conclusions before reading the study but they reach much the same conclusion which is backed up by data. From their conclusion (see page 18 of the report which is on page 21 on the link), there is no side treatment that could be detected in less than 200 feet by an approaching vehicle. Most of the side reflectors had closer to 150 feet of detection. To give some indication of what that means, at 30mph, a car covers about 150 feet in 3 seconds (44 feet/second).

And the time of detection is greatly reduced if the sight lines aren't clear. Many of the streets that I commute on at night have fences, plantings, or other landscaping obstructions right up to the corner. The clear line of sight for a car is about the size of a sidewalk and a parking strip. The total distance is roughly 12 feet before the car's lights can illuminate any kind of side reflector.

The CPSC study was done in the late 90s. Things haven't improved any since then either. If anything, the angle of the light from a car's headlamps is more constrained given the more highly focused beams that have become prevalent today. With the lower angle of light, the beam from a headlamp doesn't illuminate as high anymore so any obstruction at a corner is blocking even more light than it did 20 years ago.

Active lighting might be better but, again, the distance at which they can be seen is rather small and would also be impacted by obstructions at intersections. A bright front light and/or one that can be moved to aim at the drivers (i.e. a helmet light) is more effective than any kind of side reflector or side light.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-29-19, 10:52 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I'm currently slipping into my asbestos undies because I can hear the flame throwers lighting up right now but I take a very different tack on side reflectors...

They are mostly useless.

That said, I do have them on my bikes but only because it is required by my state's traffic laws...as it is in all other US states. But, in terms of effectiveness, they are very ineffective. The angle of an automobile light that will illuminate them is too shallow. Even a CPSC study agrees. I came to my conclusions before reading the study but they reach much the same conclusion which is backed up by data. From their conclusion (see page 18 of the report which is on page 21 on the link), there is no side treatment that could be detected in less than 200 feet by an approaching vehicle. Most of the side reflectors had closer to 150 feet of detection. To give some indication of what that means, at 30mph, a car covers about 150 feet in 3 seconds (44 feet/second).

And the time of detection is greatly reduced if the sight lines aren't clear. Many of the streets that I commute on at night have fences, plantings, or other landscaping obstructions right up to the corner. The clear line of sight for a car is about the size of a sidewalk and a parking strip. The total distance is roughly 12 feet before the car's lights can illuminate any kind of side reflector.

The CPSC study was done in the late 90s. Things haven't improved any since then either. If anything, the angle of the light from a car's headlamps is more constrained given the more highly focused beams that have become prevalent today. With the lower angle of light, the beam from a headlamp doesn't illuminate as high anymore so any obstruction at a corner is blocking even more light than it did 20 years ago.

Active lighting might be better but, again, the distance at which they can be seen is rather small and would also be impacted by obstructions at intersections. A bright front light and/or one that can be moved to aim at the drivers (i.e. a helmet light) is more effective than any kind of side reflector or side light.
And this is precisely why I have an 1100-lumen light mounted on my helmet at all times. If somebody runs a light or a stop sign, which happens with great regularity in my city just voted as having the worst drivers in the nation, and I happen to see this, all I have to do to get their immediate attention is look at the driver directly. Believe me, it does get their attention. I can't quote you any fancy statistics, sadly, but I do believe this maneuver has saved my *** on more than one occasion. This assumes, of course, that I see the vehicle or cyclist or pedestrian in time. Because if I don't, well then, none of this really matters. I am going down with all my fancy lights into a big pile on the pavement. Which is why I ride with the paranoia of a schizophrenic on a meth bender at every moment. Just trying to give myself every chance to make it.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-29-19, 01:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@cyccommute is right that reflectors don't do much. I use them anyway because they can't hurt. By saying that, I back it up by also using lights. My spoke light is dim, but it's a big attention grabber. I get compliments on it. It uses two CR2016 cells.

Old 10-29-19, 06:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@cyccommute is right that reflectors don't do much. I use them anyway because they can't hurt. By saying that, I back it up by also using lights. My spoke light is dim, but it's a big attention grabber. I get compliments on it. It uses two CR2016 cells.
"Be seen" lights don't need to be especially bright, especially if there is motion.
Old 10-29-19, 08:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
"Be seen" lights don't need to be especially bright, especially if there is motion.
Sorry but if lights aren’t bright they can’t “be seen”...especially in an urban environment where they have to compete will lots and lots of other light sources.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-29-19, 10:00 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts

They are mostly useless.

You may be right, and this is just my personal experience, but when driving I find bikes with spoke reflectors quite visible, much more than those without them.
Old 10-30-19, 11:27 AM
Andrew1240

Bikes: Surly, Genesis, Colnago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
This is a very good idea. Kind of surprised no-one has done it before. Think I'm going to get myself one for Christmas. I have excellent reflective clothing (I personally like Proviz) but no side lighting. Looking forward to checking it out.
Cheers, glad you like the look of The Orb!

It all started because I thought it would be something I'd be able to buy and couldn't believe it didn't exist, so here we are about 4 years later...
Old 10-30-19, 04:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Sorry but if lights aren’t bright they can’t “be seen”...especially in an urban environment where they have to compete will lots and lots of other light sources.
Maybe it depends on what "seen" means. As I said, I have received compliments on my spoke-mounted light. That means people see it. It is dim. It is dim, and people see it. What does this mean?

Old 10-30-19, 10:54 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
SpokLits
Lots of folks tell me they're eye-catching. I'm lit up pretty well all around though.

https://vimeo.com/76819233
Old 01-21-20, 11:34 AM
Schumi554

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For me, I like the Flectr Zero for the fitment to the spokes. Really is lighter and brighter than the stock ones on my B'twin Tilt 500. Only problem is, I haven't installed them yet, since I am still figuring out what pattern to use for a 28 spoke wheel design.
Old 01-23-20, 05:07 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts

I like reflective sidewalls, but bits of tape obviously show up also.

Marc
Old 01-25-20, 05:52 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts

These seem to make a big difference on my bike.

BV 3M Scotchlite Bicycle Spoke Reflector Bicycle Spoke Clips Bike Reflectors - 36 Pack

( would not let post the amazon link :/ )
Old 01-27-20, 11:49 AM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For side lighting, I second Secret Squirrel recommendation, planet bikes :bottle blinky" . I have been using niteeze spoke lights, for a while, but tired of the battery consumption mine have. Bottle blinky is bright, also use bigger batteries.
I also agree with "mad scientist", if the corner is blocked so is visibility.
Rod
Old 01-27-20, 11:51 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
My most effective device is a MonkeyLights M210, 5 LEDs per side, two brightness options, a whole slew of color/pattern options. It's definitely eye-catching, esp. to cross traffic as I approach intersections.

I'm sitting the fence on an actual recommendation, however. It's a few months out of warranty, and the wire between the battery pack and light failed, right at the connector. I have a temporary fix in place, but don't have an answer back yet from MonkeyLectric about how to buy a replacement connector.

Nite-Ize SpokeLits (or however it's spelled...) on my weekend/other bikes, and those 3M snap-on-the-spoke reflectors scattered among several bikes.

I'm also experimenting with a white pair of those Knog beetle knock-offs mounted on the stem, pointed forward-left and forward-right, just to get a seat-of-the-pants feel for whether it gets attention from cross traffic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.