Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Base layers from DSG

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Base layers from DSG

Old 10-01-19, 07:05 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Base layers from DSG

I was in Dick's Sporting Goods looking for things I can layer now that the temps are starting to drop. I saw these long sleeve compression shirts and they seemed to be what I was looking for. They have a nice brushed, almost fleece-like thin lining that looks very comfortable. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them as a base layer? Regardless, I think I'm going back this weekend and grabbing a couple. $40 is a whole lot less than what bicycle specific sites for for a similar product. The ones without the lining are only $25. Seems like a pretty good deal.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...r=Pure%20Black
Old 10-01-19, 07:51 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Thanks for link. I'm going swing by the DSG here and check them out. I've been looking for something like these at a reasonable price. Plus, I can try them on in the store since my luck ordering online is probably less than 50% that whatever I order will fit right.
Old 10-01-19, 08:16 PM
Osprey 1
Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Funny, happen to see those today and thought the same thing! Need something soon, yesterdays ride started around 40 degrees!
Old 10-01-19, 09:39 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I have been using the liner-less compression shirts as a base for years. The ones with liners are too warm for me. I can get by in the winter with the base layer, and a softshell jacket on most days. If it is really cold, below 0°F and down to -30, ive layered two of the thin unlined compression base shirts under the same softshell jacket and been plenty warm. I tend to only have to worry about fingers and toes getting cold, my core is usually plenty warm in the winter months.
Old 10-02-19, 04:59 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I buy mine at Academy Sports. I usually pay $15.00 for their store brand in base layers. Fleece is a tad more but still much better than UA or Nike.
I also always go through the clearance rack where I've gotten T-Shirts for $1.50 before.
Old 10-02-19, 05:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Rapha has great stuff. Love my Rapha wool base layer.
Old 10-02-19, 07:28 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Rapha has great stuff. Love my Rapha wool base layer.
My problem is that I have a hard time laying out big bucks for workout clothes.
Old 10-02-19, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Try it. It won't kill you. Won't even hurt you.
Old 10-02-19, 07:36 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Agree with the OP. There are lots of options for less expensive non-sport specific clothing items. I use a compression undershirt from Costco when the need arises.
Old 10-02-19, 07:38 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try it. It won't kill you. Won't even hurt you.
Lol, it's going to take more than just talking nice to me.

I know what you mean, quality equipment/clothes can be superior to house brand door buster deals but... I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money for this stuff. Actually, my favorite windbreaker is a low end, on sale Columbia jacket that is perfect. It doesn't look too slick, but it's the best thing I have that keeps me warm. I have convinced myself that there is quality stuff out there that I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on.
Old 10-02-19, 07:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
used to work near a DSG & often walked at lunchtime & took a tour. that was great cuz I was able to snap things up when they went on sale. btw Walmart has long sleeve synthetic shirts for way less than that. maybe not brushed fleece like inside but ... a buck is a buck?
Old 10-02-19, 08:02 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
used to work near a DSG & often walked at lunchtime & took a tour. that was great cuz I was able to snap things up when they went on sale. btw Walmart has long sleeve synthetic shirts for way less than that. maybe not brushed fleece like inside but ... a buck is a buck?
There is a lot to say about being in the right place at the right time. I've used that approach at several places.

Several years ago I was in Sears and in the clearance section was a rack of NordicTrack (house brand) short sleeve compression shirts for $14 each. They are built like a tank and still hold up 7 years later.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-02-19, 08:10 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Many years ago, I got a number of long sleeved Starter (I think) compression shirts for like $5 or $7 each. Not at all warm, but they've done the job of a lightweight base layer almost as well as more expensive cycling stuff that I rotate them with for a number of years. Plus, I feel like I can be harsher on them (just throw them in with the regular laundry) when it comes to the wash because they were so cheap.
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-02-19, 11:12 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
There's a big difference between a good and bad baselayer. I've had some low end Performance and PI baselayers that didn't even work.
And I've had a low end LG baselayer that worked fantastic. But the Rapha merino wool baselayer is one of my favorites.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-02-19, 01:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
There's a big difference between a good & bad base layer
I actually use really good ones I received as gifts (& likely, not inexpensive). I especially like the ones with zip up necks & thumb holes for easy layering
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-02-19, 05:53 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Some non-cycling specific clothing works fine when cycling but I find that many times the non-cycling specific items work less well when riding in a more extended position, sleeves and torso length are too short. Depending on the specifics of your body and riding style, generic items may work very well and if the regular sizes don't work, look for tall versions for longer length arms and torsos. As for cost, I've come to realize that even on a modest income, sometimes the expensive items can be worth the expense. I don't like paying for brands and I really don't like paying to wear logos, but I don't mind paying the price for high quality materials like merino wool, especially when the product is made somewhere where workers are treated halfway decent.
Old 10-04-19, 04:59 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I spend big bucks for workout ( cycling) clothes, but almost nothing for any other clothes.