Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identification Help.....Wrap Over Seat Stays and A.Duprat Cranks

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-09-19, 01:11 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts

The velo gods have been generous lately... I was given a bike by a neighbor who knew I liked old bikes and when I went to fetch it a second was thrown in. The second is a pretty uninteresting (to me anyway) 1980s Raleigh Capri..... but the first is a real curiosity. I'd love to know what it is (or originally was). It's been painted over (thickly, and who knows how many times), head-badge removed (but looks like it had three rivets), and obviously had many parts replaced.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to take decent pictures, or even the cliched garage door shot. Below are some poor ones that I did manage to take. I will try to take better ones sometime soon. I thought at a glance that this might be an old Raleigh, or some 1970s or earlier English bike. I think the lugs and the rear brake bridge made me think English. The dropouts are stamped. I don't recognize the lugs, but perhaps they are a clue. Aside from the wrap over seat stay, the frame isn't too interesting (and it's heavy).

The fact that it's a tripe caught my eye. And the cranks are French, A.Duprat single flutes (pedals French as well, but rough. Lyotards?). I don't recognize the chainrings, especially the curiously drilled outer. The FD is a Suntour SL (early 70s?). Shifters seem to match it. But the RD is French... Simplex, I think a Simplex SX 410 T?

Has a GB stem and the bars much newer looking Sakae drops. Brakes are Weinmann 750 Vainqueur 999 centerpull up front and Weinmann 610 at the back with newer Taiwanese levers.

The front hub is a Shimano, but the rear is a Normandy! Looks like the serial number is 0104462 on the rear dropout. Also came with some cool Huret Luxe wingnuts on the front axle.

So it has loads of character.... or is completely schizophrenic (or both). There are enough French components sprinkled in there that I am beginning to question if it's actually French. Does anyone know if any French bikes back then had that wrap over seat stay and also that arced rear brake bridge? Or does anyone recognize it from the lugs or whatever else?

Opinions and info welcomed warmly! Thanks!

What is this bike?

Looks like the head-badge had three rivets. Raleigh?

Roughly painted wrap-over seat stay

A. Duprat single fluted steel French cranks. I haven't seen these before. Suntour SL front derailleur

Simplex rear derailleur ( SX 410 T ? )

Huret Luxe wingnuts (on the front axel only) and oddly on a Shimano hub

Are these cutout lugs a clue?

Normandy rear hub .... Japanese in front and French in the rear! (spokes look ever so slightly out of tension)

Serial number... anyone recognize the format?

Interesting Lugs

Last edited by CriticalThought; 10-09-19 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 01:34 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Don't know what it is. Sure is an ugly paint job! Fork is bent. I would check it. I don't think it is the angle of the camera.
The brazing of the top head tube lug looks deficient. Rear DO looks stamped. Fork crown is not impressive either. I would not guess this as being top end but toward the lower end. I may need calibration.

I like the wing nuts! The head set look familiar too.
Old 10-09-19, 01:39 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Originally Posted by SJX426
Don't know what it is. Sure is an ugly paint job! Fork is bent. I would check it. I don't think it is the angle of the camera.
The brazing of the top head tube lug looks deficient. Rear DO looks stamped. Fork crown is not impressive either. I would not guess this as being top end but toward the lower end. I may need calibration.

I like the wing nuts as well. They are what caught my eye. Yeah, the paint and brazing leave a lot to be desired. The paint is so bad that maybe we can ID the last owner from the finger prints left everywhere in the paint!

I'm beginning to wonder if it's an early Raleigh Grand Prix. I think the serial number might even work if it's a 1973. Regardless, it's an eyesore all right! (albeit with some cool and funky French parts)

From the 1968 catalog

Last edited by CriticalThought; 10-09-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 01:40 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426

Agree about the fork. The horizontal marks below the crown in the last pic look like maybe paint cracks from bending stress.
The seat lug and rear cable hanger arc make me think Raleigh or Carlton, but lower end.
Old 10-09-19, 01:53 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Some Raliegh Grand Prix's with that type of wraparound seat stays were built in the Netherlands by Gazelle.
Old 10-09-19, 03:30 PM
CriticalThought

Bent Fork

Definitely a bent fork. I'm not sure what I want to do with this bike. It has some interesting parts, but they're rough. I'm debating fixing it up (stripping the paint, repainting myself, etc.) but not sinking any money into it. If it is a Raleigh Grand Prix, which I suspect more and more, then it would be fun to go through it and get it rideable. From what I've read these forks can be straightened fairly easily, though I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that if it was a higher end bike.

I've seen some in two-tone blue with lined lugs which look really nice. Since it didn't cost me anything might be worthwhile... though I have a ton of projects ahead of it and not much time to devote these days.

I'm still really intrigued by the driveline. Someone seems to have upgraded it at some point. The frame clearance on the small chainring is minuscule!

Old 10-09-19, 06:43 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Sure looks like a Grand Prix. If so, the bar and stem, and brakes, are probably original. I had a grand Prix with those shifters as well, but I think mine was a later model.

The lugs were a Carlton pattern called Crespera, or something like that. Some Grand Prix frames were made in Holland as was already mentioned, but they were also made at the Carlton plant in Worksop, and at the Raleigh works in Nottingham. The one I had was made in Canada.

Yes, your fork is bent. I would check the frame too.
Old 10-09-19, 08:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Front brake looks bent, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498