Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opinions Wanted on Disc Brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Opinions Wanted on Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19, 09:42 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
The OP is not mentioning what kind of frame / bike that they are considering. On one hand, disks require some increased engineering for the fork than with calipers. On the other hand, some more supple deflection can be engineered into the seat stays for increased rider comfort with disks vs calipers. I have two road bikes with caliper brakes, four sets of wheels, one of them carbon. My caliper bikes with alloy wheels stop really well in the dry and pretty well when wet but if you pump them a few times they dry out and work fine. When it is wet, you should not be riding so aggressively that stopping super fast is an issue anyway, right? My road bikes are built with Campy and their calipers are super strong and very powerful. The carbon wheels (Boyd) and calipers stop pretty well when dry and must be pumped to dry the pads and rims when wet. I have been experimenting with different brake shoes and some work better than others with carbon wheels. Right now, I have found that Campy pads outperform the others that I have used (Deda, Boyd, Swiss Stop). My gravel bike has SRAM Hydro brakes and they are very nice and powerful but not really all that noticeably more so than the calipers with alloy wheels. If I were building a bike with carbon wheels, I would advocate for disks for sure. They just work better. As for calipers wearing out the rims, hell, keep regular maintenance and cleaning of your pads and you will not score the rims such as to wear them out.
Old 10-16-19, 09:58 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
The OP is not mentioning what kind of frame / bike that they are considering. On one hand, disks require some increased engineering for the fork than with calipers. On the other hand, some more supple deflection can be engineered into the seat stays for increased rider comfort with disks vs calipers. I have two road bikes with caliper brakes, four sets of wheels, one of them carbon. My caliper bikes with alloy wheels stop really well in the dry and pretty well when wet but if you pump them a few times they dry out and work fine. When it is wet, you should not be riding so aggressively that stopping super fast is an issue anyway, right? My road bikes are built with Campy and their calipers are super strong and very powerful. The carbon wheels (Boyd) and calipers stop pretty well when dry and must be pumped to dry the pads and rims when wet. I have been experimenting with different brake shoes and some work better than others with carbon wheels. Right now, I have found that Campy pads outperform the others that I have used (Deda, Boyd, Swiss Stop). My gravel bike has SRAM Hydro brakes and they are very nice and powerful but not really all that noticeably more so than the calipers with alloy wheels. If I were building a bike with carbon wheels, I would advocate for disks for sure. They just work better. As for calipers wearing out the rims, hell, keep regular maintenance and cleaning of your pads and you will not score the rims such as to wear them out.
"As for calipers wearing out the rims, hell, keep regular maintenance and cleaning of your pads and you will not score the rims such as to wear them out" - Depends on where you ride. In the Pacific northwest, the lava dust wears out rims fast, especially in the wet (a phenomenon the PNW is well known for). A regular five day/week commmute with hill stops will kill an aluminum rim in one winter. 2-3 tmies/week and I was gettng barely two winters. Had one of those rims explode when I pushed it a little too far. Good thing I was in the nouse when it went off like a gunshot.

I'm in no hurry to make the switch to discs despite doing all my riding in the PNW. All my bikes have excellent rim brakes. They work decently in the wet and I ride slower in the wet anyway because the road surface is sliprier and I've done my lifetime's worth of crashes. Yes, I have to re-build wheels regularly but I like building wheels. And since I don't do carbon anything on my bikes, rim costs aren't exorbitant. Spokes go three winter rims regularly so the re-rimming goes fast.

Ben
Old 10-16-19, 10:55 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I just build a new gravel bike and it has disc brakes. The braking is, by and large, a wash. The disc brakes are easier to adjust than the cantilevers I had on my old gravel bike. The easy of switching wheels with different rim widths and tire sizes is really nice.

There is a weight penalty on the bike with disc brakes. But overall, it's nice.

I wouldn't build a rim brake bike going forward. I might if I was racing on the road.

J.
Old 10-16-19, 05:41 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I've worn out several high-end rims with rim brakes. It's an issue that wouldn't exist with disc brakes, and that alone is enough for me to switch. I also like the idea of a rim being engineered purely as a rim, and not having to also cope with brake forces. I think we'll see a few advances in aerodynamics, structural rigidity, and weight savings because of that.

The only thing preventing me from buying a new bike at this point is the fact that 11-speed is on its way out. I don't want to plop cash down on a zooty bike only to have the drivetrain be outdated in a year. I'm still on 10-speed Dura-ace (on the road bike) and parts are becoming pretty dang scarce. I don't want to be in the same position 5 years from now with 11-speed.
WHAT??!!

I got a new road bike this year...first one actually.....no idea 11sp on the way out....whats coming next? 12?

Ive got the 105 groupset on my Giant Contend SL 1

JAG
Old 10-16-19, 07:20 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag
WHAT??!!

I got a new road bike this year...first one actually.....no idea 11sp on the way out....whats coming next? 12?

Ive got the 105 groupset on my Giant Contend SL 1

JAG
Top of the heap Campy and SRAM groupsets are 12-speed. Trickle-down tech usually lags a year or two, so I figure 12-speed will hit Ultegra for the 2021 model year.
Old 10-17-19, 11:52 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
"As for calipers wearing out the rims, hell, keep regular maintenance and cleaning of your pads and you will not score the rims such as to wear them out" - Depends on where you ride. In the Pacific northwest, the lava dust wears out rims fast, especially in the wet (a phenomenon the PNW is well known for). A regular five day/week commmute with hill stops will kill an aluminum rim in one winter. 2-3 tmies/week and I was gettng barely two winters. Had one of those rims explode when I pushed it a little too far. Good thing I was in the nouse when it went off like a gunshot.

I'm in no hurry to make the switch to discs despite doing all my riding in the PNW. All my bikes have excellent rim brakes. They work decently in the wet and I ride slower in the wet anyway because the road surface is sliprier and I've done my lifetime's worth of crashes. Yes, I have to re-build wheels regularly but I like building wheels. And since I don't do carbon anything on my bikes, rim costs aren't exorbitant. Spokes go three winter rims regularly so the re-rimming goes fast.

Ben
Thanks Ben! Interesting conditions you have there! Lets hope that it is just dust and not the hot stuff!
Old 10-17-19, 12:21 PM
JLTD

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Discs on a road bike aren't necessary, but I've liked having them regardless. Maintenance to me is a wash, discs maybe slightly more finicky but that's splitting hairs. Cost of maintaining, discs prob a bit more expensive, but they both wear out and neither often enough to be a real concern for most.

Similar to when a new model vehicle comes out, I originally had trouble liking the look of a road bike with discs, then somewhere along the line that changed and now I think they look just fine or dare I say good.

Ride what you like, both will do the job!