Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to Adjust Spring Tension - MAFAC Cantilevers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 05:14 PM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts

Trying to install a set of MAFAC cantilevers on my '75 Paramount.

Spring tension pushes the pad arm directly on the side of the rim. Obviously, with the pad, pressure on the rim is even tighter. Can't see any way to get pad clearance.

Is there any way to decrease the spring tension in order to get some rim clearance? I don't really want to start bending the spring out of shape however.

If it helps, I'll post a pic but I'm sure everything's installed correctly on the cantilever braze-ons. I saw where some thought there's different front and rear springs. Not the case here.

Thanks
Old 10-19-19, 05:24 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
First, disconnect the springs on both sides and make sure that one side isn't binding. While you're there, check to make sure both springs are "sprung" away from the brakes at the same angle. They should engage with the brake arms at about the same distance fromt the rim. If they don't, you'll have to bend them a bit to make them equal.
Old 10-19-19, 05:52 PM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Originally Posted by gugie
First, disconnect the springs on both sides and make sure that one side isn't binding. While you're there, check to make sure both springs are "sprung" away from the brakes at the same angle. They should engage with the brake arms at about the same distance fromt the rim. If they don't, you'll have to bend them a bit to make them equal.
Thanks. As you likely know, the braze-on only has one hole for the short end of the spring. No way to decrease tension that way. The long end of the spring fits exactly where it should in the hole of the arm. No binding.

The pad arm is tight against the rim without the pad on. With the pad arm on, its really tight. I'm afraid if I press hard on the arms while they are mounted to get some space between the pad and the rim, I'm going to torque the hell out of the spring and perhaps not have the same tension on both sides.
Old 10-19-19, 07:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Youn can bend the spring and debend it several times, won’t hurt anything. They’re made of steel, you’re not going to break them.
Old 10-19-19, 07:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I had to bend one of the springs on my Mafac racers to get it to sit at a distance from the rim. Same problem, only upside-down
Old 10-19-19, 11:00 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cqlink
The pad arm is tight against the rim without the pad on. With the pad arm on, its really tight. I'm afraid if I press hard on the arms while they are mounted to get some space between the pad and the rim, I'm going to torque the hell out of the spring and perhaps not have the same tension on both sides.
But why is the spring pushing the brake arm toward the rim? That doesn't make much sense. It is meant to push the brake arm away from the rim, and then your cable pulls the arm toward the rim. It seems it would have to be pretty badly bent to be pushing the brake arm toward the rim as hard as you are describing.

While there is no difference between springs front to rear, there is a difference side to side. It's worth double-checking to make sure you have the right side's spring in the right spot. Both springs should have the long part coming off the bottom of the coil, then entering into the hole in the brake arm, like so:

Have you got them set up like that?
Old 10-19-19, 11:13 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
It's very easy to mistakenly install the springs on the wrong side such that they are pushing the arms inward instead of outward. Uninstall and switch the springs and you'll find they work just fine.

Edit: @scarlson beat me to it
Old 10-20-19, 04:43 AM
cqlink 

Originally Posted by scarlson
But why is the spring pushing the brake arm toward the rim? That doesn't make much sense. It is meant to push the brake arm away from the rim, and then your cable pulls the arm toward the rim. It seems it would have to be pretty badly bent to be pushing the brake arm toward the rim as hard as you are describing.

While there is no difference between springs front to rear, there is a difference side to side. It's worth double-checking to make sure you have the right side's spring in the right spot. Both springs should have the long part coming off the bottom of the coil, then entering into the hole in the brake arm, like so:

Have you got them set up like that?
I'm rechecking again. That looks the same as mine, however in your pic, it appears there is a difference of the small end location. I may have the springs reversed. Springs are in great shape. I'll post a few pics.

Last edited by cqlink; 10-20-19 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 05:21 AM
cqlink 

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
It's very easy to mistakenly install the springs on the wrong side such that they are pushing the arms inward instead of outward. Uninstall and switch the springs and you'll find they work just fine.

Edit: @scarlson beat me to it
Both of you were spot on. I managed to grab BOTH of the wrong springs. Everything good to go.

Thanks for the assist