Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New cassette really loud

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New cassette really loud

Old 09-09-12, 09:25 AM
Chrise510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deleted ​​​​​​​

Deleted

Last edited by Chrise510; 09-25-22 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-09-12, 09:37 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Some brands hubs just make noise when coasting. As long as the cassette was properly lubed when it was installed, it's no big deal. I just got Zipp wheels and they are really loud.
Old 09-09-12, 09:56 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Some brands hubs just make noise when coasting. As long as the cassette was properly lubed when it was installed, it's no big deal. I just got Zipp wheels and they are really loud.
To properly install a cassette you do not lube it.

are you complaining about the noise when coasting or the noise when pedaling, it seems like you are mixing terms a bit. Generally if there is a lot of chain noise when pedaling it is because the derailleur is not adjusted right.
Old 09-09-12, 10:07 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
As chriskmurray, the OP needs to confirm this, is the OP talking about the freehub clicking, or the chain noise when pedalling?

For the cassette, the OP needs to confirm what they are using as well, a quick bit of research indicates that the Sachs LY 99 is a 7 speed freewheel; not a cassette, would be useful if we knew what the OP ha' as freewheels are different from cassettes.
Old 09-09-12, 10:39 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5762 Post(s)
Liked 2,535 Times in 1,402 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrise510
I'm complaining about both, especially the noise when coasting. My last cassette didnt make a sound
As I read this I have the feeling that the problem is that you don't have a cassette but a freewheel system. The difference being that a cassette is only the sprockets and slides on to a hub which includes the ratchet system (freehub), whereas a freewheel is the combined unit of sprockets and ratchet mechanism and threads on to a simple hub.

If you had a cassette replaced the ratchet sound when coasting wouldn't be changed, since that part is still original.

There are variations in freewheel noise level between brands and models, but none are silent. As a rule they tend to get quieter as dire and dried oil or grease build up along the ratchet mechanism dampening the clicking noise. You can quiet a freewheel by running some thick oil into it between the turning and non-turning parts (if there's no seal there). Some also have an oil hole, but it's on the inside and can only be used when the freewheel is off. I suggest you go back to the shop and ask them to remove and oil the freewheel for you, using the thickest oil they have, like Phil Tenacious, or Chain-L.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-09-12, 11:01 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FBinNY is giving you some good advise, if they replaced a freewheel chances are this brand is just louder and some heavy oil will quite it down. You also mentioned

There is a big difference between a freewheel and a cassette by the way. A freewheel has both the gears and the ratcheting mech in one unit, a cassette is only gears and would not change the noise when coasting.

https://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
Old 09-09-12, 12:31 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The bike sounds perfectly normal to me. I find these kind of threads to border on OCD.

For what its worth, I looked up what the OP said was replaced, a Sachs LY 99 which is indeed a freewheel so the OP is inadvertently misusing terms here. OP, you do NOT have any form of a cassette whatsoever. There is no cassette at all on a normal freewheel. What you had replaced is known as the freewheel, not a cassette and the terms are not interchangeable, they refer to completely different parts that do perform the same function. So when you (the OP) keep using the term cassette, it is confusing since you do not have any type of cassette on your bike.

If the bike shifts fine and rides fine, just enjoy it. Some freewheels are noisier than others and that is just life.
Old 09-09-12, 01:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
How manny remember that smooth click of the old Regina Oro freewheels tearing down some mountain slope with the same sound as an open faced Penn Reel on light drag at sea.... Ahhh... Heaven....
Attached Images
Old 09-09-12, 01:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Aaaaah Yes, Regina freewheels, or Shimano fishing reels, those were the days.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-09-12, 03:47 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Chrise510
Sooo to reduce the sound of my freewheel i gotta slip in some thick oil?
Yes, thick oil helps reduce the noise level, but only so much. There's an inherent difference in noise level among the various freewheel brands. Some sound like Swiss watches and others like buzzsaws.

Old 09-09-12, 04:00 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Im in a hilly area so I go for the Shimano 6 or 7 with the 34T bailout - May need a long derailuer cage...
Old 09-09-12, 05:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Screw in the B screw a bit , perhaps the guide pulley sits on top of the chain
which is also in contact with the cog teeth, this of course presses against,
the big rear cog..