Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What is this Giant Cypress?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20, 11:37 PM
Wes in Missouri

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2005 Bianchi Axis, 1988 Cannondale R600, 1992 Diamond Back Venture, 93 Cannondale r600,Trek 820, Cannondale Delta V 1000, 87 Cannondale M400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 14 Posts

I picked up this Giant Cypress for $25. I used the tires and front wheels that were on it (700x25) ant the front rim (Mavic) on a Cannondale that I was fixing for my daughter. I put some tires and a wheel I had on the shelf on it and did a little tuning and it rides very well. I’m going to sell it but I can’t find anything that will tell me what year it is or what was the original equipment. Is there anyone that is familiar with Giants. I was wondering what a fair price would be for this bike.

SRAM rear derailleur I don’t know if it is original

Grip shifters

Probably original

Original seatpost. Also the logo is in cursive which seems a bit unusual.

I don’t know if the head badge might help.

ECF. Sounds impressive
Old 06-21-20, 05:01 PM
mikehuangsd

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 37 Posts
it's worth A LOT more than $25 - you got a DEAL. Plus, it's a nice color (blue bikes are best - everyone knows that).

Because of all the jackasses who snap up all the decent deals on Craigslist/Ebay just to relist them immediately for more, I'd say older Giant Cypress bikes typically go for more like $150+

by the way, that frame is PERFECT for a drop-bar conversion

Last edited by mikehuangsd; 06-21-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 07:36 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Without looking at old Giant brochures, I'd say it's a mid-2000s lower-end Cypress. The SRAM 3.0 derailleur is their bottom tier offering (similar to Shimano Tourney or maybe Altus).

The parts are sometimes worth more than the bike itself. That Vetta saddle may be of value to someone looking for a vintage road saddle like that. Otherwise, it has fairly basic components on it. That bike would probably fetch $100 in my local market. Your market, of course, can vary tremendously for someone else's.
Old 06-21-20, 11:12 PM
Wes in Missouri

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2005 Bianchi Axis, 1988 Cannondale R600, 1992 Diamond Back Venture, 93 Cannondale r600,Trek 820, Cannondale Delta V 1000, 87 Cannondale M400

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehuangsd
it's worth A LOT more than $25 - you got a DEAL.

by the way, that frame is PERFECT for a drop-bar conversion
I was thinking about doing the drop bar conversion for my son in law but the fram is too big for him. I bought it originally to use for a parts donor. I bought a 93 Cannondale R600 for my daughter that needed tires and tubes and had a cheap Chinese Aero front wheel. The Giant had new looking 700x28 tires I figured would work and also had a Mavic front wheel that was a perfect match for the Cannondale’s back wheel. After swapping those out I put some tires and a rim I had lying around and cleaned up the Giant and discovered it rode nice and didn’t look so bad after all. So I guess it’s time to pass it on to someone who can use it.
Old 05-09-23, 07:20 PM
MajorKelsey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Niice

Great bike and good info ty