Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Beating the freeze/thaw cycle

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 11:16 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5474 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts

Winter time around here often has freezing temps at night, then above freezing temps in the daytime. When the ground thaws, trail conditions go to hell in a hand basket. Does anyone go riding early in the morning in order to beat the mid-morning ground thaw? Seems like this is the only way I can get in some riding this time of year.
I have found that trail conditions can change very quickly when the sun comes out.
Old 12-20-09, 04:07 AM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See post #4:
https://cambr.org/SMF/index.php?topic=7559.0

"Freeze/Thaw....Freeze/Thaw........Freeze/Thaw

Well, it's that time of year again. When the temperature dips below freezing at night, and goes above it during the day.
Try to ride early in the morning while the ground is still frozen. Once it thaws out, the trail will be very slick, (greasy), on top from the moisture that has been forced upward during the night. As the day warms up, the trail can become soft down several inches. Which is when riders can do some serious damage, leaving ruts that stick around for a long time.

Sometimes late in the evening also works for a ride after a freeze/thaw cycle, especially if it has been a sunny, warm day.

Late morning, when most bikers are used to rolling into the trailhead parking lot, can be the WORST time to start a ride in the winter. Midday doesn't work during freeze/thaw!

Some other winter riding tips;
Try to find out beforehand if the day is going to be sunny or not before riding. Cloudy days can increase your riding time by an hour or so, even if the temp goes above freezing.

If it is going to be a sunny day, try to ride the sunny side trails early in the day while they are still frozen. South facing trails can turn soupy even at below freezing temps, once the sun hits them full-on.

Leaf cover can also make a difference. Well covered trails might not freeze at all, and if they do, they thaw out slower.

Try to be closer to the trailhead as the temps warm up. Conditions can change rapidly, and pushing a bike with two inches of peanut butter mud on the tires back four miles to the truck is pretty frustrating...... Been there, done that!

Winter riding can be a challenge, but also a rewarding experience if you plan ahead....... (And you don't feel as guilty about watching football the rest of the day. )

Don't be a Smuck, and ride trails when they're Muck"
Old 12-20-09, 08:46 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do a search for " freeze'n'thaw ".

I usually just ride when I can and get muddy often.
Old 12-20-09, 05:44 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5474 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I have been using Maxiss Crossmark tires, 26x 2.1. If I got into any muck, the tread would fill up and my bike would be out of commision until I got the mess cleaned out from my brakes, etc. Since it got cold I put Nokian 1.9 Mount and Ground tires on my bike. They are wonderful in the muck. The treads don't hold mud and these tires give much better traction than the knobbies I was using. I may look for a tire with a similar tread pattern but without the studs for use in warm weather.
Old 12-20-09, 05:53 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewille
See post #4:
https://cambr.org/SMF/index.php?topic=7559.0

"Freeze/Thaw....Freeze/Thaw........Freeze/Thaw

Well, it's that time of year again. When the temperature dips below freezing at night, and goes above it during the day.
Try to ride early in the morning while the ground is still frozen. Once it thaws out, the trail will be very slick, (greasy), on top from the moisture that has been forced upward during the night. As the day warms up, the trail can become soft down several inches. Which is when riders can do some serious damage, leaving ruts that stick around for a long time.

Sometimes late in the evening also works for a ride after a freeze/thaw cycle, especially if it has been a sunny, warm day.

Late morning, when most bikers are used to rolling into the trailhead parking lot, can be the WORST time to start a ride in the winter. Midday doesn't work during freeze/thaw!

Some other winter riding tips;
Try to find out beforehand if the day is going to be sunny or not before riding. Cloudy days can increase your riding time by an hour or so, even if the temp goes above freezing.

If it is going to be a sunny day, try to ride the sunny side trails early in the day while they are still frozen. South facing trails can turn soupy even at below freezing temps, once the sun hits them full-on.

Leaf cover can also make a difference. Well covered trails might not freeze at all, and if they do, they thaw out slower.

Try to be closer to the trailhead as the temps warm up. Conditions can change rapidly, and pushing a bike with two inches of peanut butter mud on the tires back four miles to the truck is pretty frustrating...... Been there, done that!

Winter riding can be a challenge, but also a rewarding experience if you plan ahead....... (And you don't feel as guilty about watching football the rest of the day. )

Don't be a Smuck, and ride trails when they're Muck"
It really depends on daily high/low temperatures and sunshine... in some places there is a period where you can't ride/walk a trail at all without causing erosion simply because the freeze cycle is not long enough for a complete freeze but is long enough to effect drainage. When you add in a lot of rainfall, typical to this season, the half-frozen fudge you can get a real mess, better to ride the road for a few weeks.