Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Extreme car free living.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Extreme car free living.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 09:51 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Extreme car free living.

Cycling - This*Victorian Life
Old 12-12-15, 01:30 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Very interesting blog, thanks for posting.

I wish I had thought to try an ordinary back when I was still able to climb up on one. I might still be able to get on one of the tricycles, if I ever get the opportunity.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-12-15, 01:04 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Very interesting blog, thanks for posting.

I wish I had thought to try an ordinary back when I was still able to climb up on one. I might still be able to get on one of the tricycles, if I ever get the opportunity.
I've ridden ordinaries and don't really care for them because they all seem to be made for people who are much smaller than me. Having one's legs trapped under the handlebars is a real concern on a bike that can rotate you head-first into the ground if the front wheel hits an obstacle. I did consider having one built custom with more space to get free in the event of a mishap by a dealer/friend, but it just wasn't worth the cost to me. Besides, if I did that I wouldn't be able to coast down hills with my legs over the handlebars like the cool kids.

Another friend was the sales rep for replicas of a variation on the ordinary that puts the small wheel in the front for safety reasons, but those ran a cool $5k back in the 1980's. I did choose to spend that much on a bike back then, but it was a custom tandem that my spouse and I have used extensively.
Old 12-12-15, 02:45 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I've ridden ordinaries and don't really care for them because they all seem to be made for people who are much smaller than me. Having one's legs trapped under the handlebars is a real concern on a bike that can rotate you head-first into the ground if the front wheel hits an obstacle. I did consider having one built custom with more space to get free in the event of a mishap by a dealer/friend, but it just wasn't worth the cost to me. Besides, if I did that I wouldn't be able to coast down hills with my legs over the handlebars like the cool kids.

Another friend was the sales rep for replicas of a variation on the ordinary that puts the small wheel in the front for safety reasons, but those ran a cool $5k back in the 1980's. I did choose to spend that much on a bike back then, but it was a custom tandem that my spouse and I have used extensively.
I think that it's pretty clear that people ride ordinaries for an interesting experience or as a hobby, not because they're as good as regular bikes. The article clarified that they need to be custom fitted, and they're very expensive and dangerous. But they're way cool!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-12-15, 02:49 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I think that it's pretty clear that people ride ordinaries for an interesting experience or as a hobby, not because they're as good as regular bikes. The article clarified that they need to be custom fitted, and they're very expensive and dangerous. But they're way cool!
They're not my cup of tea, but this dude's on his second trip around the world on one. Amazing!

Pennyfarthing World Tour
Old 12-15-15, 11:07 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Penny Farthings intimidate me. It would be fun to try one out in a sheltered setting, but I have no desire to ride one on the street.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 12-15-15 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 02:41 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Grillparzer
I had an amusing encounter with the author of the linked article.

While riding the Cascade bike clubs chilly-hilly ride I caught up with her while she was riding her Gazelle wearing the vintage riding habit. As its fairly unusual to encounter another person riding a Gazelle, especially during a club event, I thought I'd greet her with a funny remark. I said "I'll never understand why anyone would buy a boat anchor to ride....Oh boy....did she make it perfectly clear what she is thought of that comment without looking at me.
I forgot exactly what I said, and she was about ready to let me have it again, but glanced over and saw I was wearing street clothes and riding a Gazelle too. After turning bright red, she apologized profusely, and we chatted for a while before parting company.

After the ride, I stopped at the bike shop near the finish to get a few snacks for the ride home. I mentioned it to the counter guy at the bike shop, and he started laughing with great vigor, turns out she is his wife. Surprisingly, it seems there are some cycling enthusiasts who feel riding vintage bikes in period garb is demeaning to the" sport", and find it nessary to voice their opinions in a negative way.
Old 12-16-15, 02:56 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I bought a modern repro pennyfarthing, used, off a customer looking to do a trade-in. Rode it a couple times... and immediately sold it on to the owner of the bike shop as a display piece in exchange for expunging a portion of my existing employee purchase tab...

Fun enough to ride, sure gets people looking, but nothing I'd want to do on a regular basis or over distance.
Old 12-16-15, 04:58 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kickstart
I had an amusing encounter with the author of the linked article.

While riding the Cascade bike clubs chilly-hilly ride I caught up with her while she was riding her Gazelle wearing the vintage riding habit. As its fairly unusual to encounter another person riding a Gazelle, especially during a club event, I thought I'd greet her with a funny remark. I said "I'll never understand why anyone would buy a boat anchor to ride....Oh boy....did she make it perfectly clear what she is thought of that comment without looking at me.
I forgot exactly what I said, and she was about ready to let me have it again, but glanced over and saw I was wearing street clothes and riding a Gazelle too. After turning bright red, she apologized profusely, and we chatted for a while before parting company.

After the ride, I stopped at the bike shop near the finish to get a few snacks for the ride home. I mentioned it to the counter guy at the bike shop, and he started laughing with great vigor, turns out she is his wife. Surprisingly, it seems there are some cycling enthusiasts who feel riding vintage bikes in period garb is demeaning to the" sport", and find it nessary to voice their opinions in a negative way.
A couple of years ago I stopped and talk to a gentleman who was riding his penny farthing down in to D.C. for a tweed ride. He was in full English fifty's era gear, and stressed repeatedly during the conversation, "But always wear a helmet." I think there are some of us moderns who don't appreciate the occasional retro dress up.
Old 12-19-15, 08:31 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I've never ridden one, but this video shows how much fun they can be cruising downhill . . . for a while.

https://youtu.be/BuPJoA9gIro?t=14