Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Forgive me, for I have sinned...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Forgive me, for I have sinned...

Old 12-31-12, 07:56 AM
Blues Frog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive me as I don't spend my time at the TV watching team sports. Nor am I a fan of any team. It is unAmerican I know. I would rather bike, fish, shoot, hunt, or at least be outside. And my attitude stinks. Bad boy. Happy New Year anyway

Last edited by Blues Frog; 01-02-13 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 08:30 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
May ye be forgiven of the sin of self-righteousness

Not too many outside sport options at 2200 hours on a cold and snowy night.

Old 12-31-12, 08:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Frog
Forgive me as I don't waste my time at the TV watching team sports. Nor am I a fan of any team. It is unAmerican I know. I would rather bike, fish, shoot, hunt, or at least be outside. And my attitude stinks. Bad boy. Happy New Year anyway
Oh, geez, man, it's just entertainment, no different than watching a movie. And yes, I did also enjoy that last interception very much.

My biking sin? I am turning into a wuss, or even more of a wuss than I was. I have turned back early on a century twice, (to make it 75 miles), and on a tough mtb ride I took the paved road back instead of the trail.
Old 12-31-12, 09:41 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Please, please. not another helmet thread. I can't stand it. (For newcomers, the subject of helmets is VERY touchy for some folks, has been debated forever, and there is a thread in A&S pages long devoted to the topic. "This is the only thread where a discussion of the pros and cons of wearing a helmet will be discussed. Others will be locked or deleted". Please go there for your thoughts and debates.)

Never mind not another helmet thread. Let's not have another spandex thread. Why does this bother so many? Anyway, I hereby resolve:

-That I will not enter any triathlons, or races of any kind.
-To continue to not use a cycling computer. Knowing how it drives so many people Bat Guano, is part of the fun.
-To continue to ride my fixie, but be open to the idea of trying a recumbent.
-To just keep riding steel. No to alien spacecraft material. This also drives a lot of people Bat Guano.

All I can think of at the moment. May add to the list later. Or not.
Old 12-31-12, 11:12 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Forgive me brothers and sisters for I ... ... considered owning a modern CARBON FIBRE roadie.
My darling fiancee offered to give it to me for Christmas. Fortunately, my innocence was saved when she realised she couldn't afford the thing.
Once you go carbon, you never go back.
Old 12-31-12, 11:32 AM
Louis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Forgive me, for I have rested a vessel of WD-40 within 3 cubits of a bicycle.
Old 12-31-12, 01:00 PM
missjean

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I, too, confess to the sin of undies with spandex - which, because of being female, is a double sin because panties-under-spandex causes *gasp* VPL (visible panty lines) which is the #1 fashion sin for women.

Originally Posted by Louis
Old 12-31-12, 01:43 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
My biking sin? I am turning into a wuss, or even more of a wuss than I was. I have turned back early on a century twice, (to make it 75 miles), and on a tough mtb ride I took the paved road back instead of the trail.
I think I have a nice, warm, soft and cushy seat right next to ours in the confession box...
Old 12-31-12, 01:51 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by Louis
Your sin ranks only 2-1/2 on the scale of 100 for contributing to the devil's work... and that's only because you used an outdated form of measure in your confession.
Old 12-31-12, 01:57 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by trackhub
Anyway, I hereby resolve:

-That I will not enter any triathlons, or races of any kind.
-To continue to not use a cycling computer. Knowing how it drives so many people Bat Guano, is part of the fun.
-To continue to ride my fixie, but be open to the idea of trying a recumbent.
-To just keep riding steel. No to alien spacecraft material. This also drives a lot of people Bat Guano.

All I can think of at the moment. May add to the list later. Or not.
I was thinking with your first offering that you were a member of the congregation wasting the confessional's time with all this do-gooder stuff.

Then you redeemed yourself with that confession about the fixie and those dark thoughts about becoming all bent up and twisted (you are forgiven and permitted to entertain such thoughts on your weekly Sunday rides).

The Steel-Is-Real sect is down the aisle and off to the left...
Old 12-31-12, 02:18 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Once you go carbon, you never go back.
Amen brother, both the road to hell and the road to carbon is a very slippery slope...
Old 12-31-12, 02:21 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I confess I will never, ever, ever do a 100 miler, unless it takes all day, has plenty of stops for meals/drinks (at least one pub stop) and good company.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 01-01-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-31-12, 02:39 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Amen brother, both the road to hell and the road to carbon is a very slippery slope...
Well as long as I am riding my CF Colnago C59 OR my Bottecchia with Columbus SLX steel, then it won't matter much where I am headed!
Old 12-31-12, 03:59 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
OK, I really do feel the need to confess this. I bought my husband everything on his Christmas list, including some nice riding gloves and a good bike light. His birthday is Wednesday and I was at a loss at what else I could get him.

So, I had an idea. He doesn’t work-out at all and I would love to see him get fit for some nice riding together when the weather breaks. I don’t want to be pushy about it, so I thought I might try to make it a bit fun. I bought him some nice work out clothes, and some DVDs: Billy Banks’ Tai-bo” and “Dancing Off the Inches – Ballroom.” I thought if we did the dance DVD together, it might not be so bad for him to exercise. I am feeling a bit guilty because he’ll know I really wanted to have that DVD.
Old 12-31-12, 04:20 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Sorry, but who is the sinner here? You for having irreligious thoughts, or your fiancee for not having the cash to deliver?
It is not a sin to not have cash for a new bike. The sin is not having the credit rating needed to buy a bike.
What did your fiancee do to go over the fiscal cliff?
Old 12-31-12, 04:34 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by missjean
I, too, confess to the sin of undies with spandex - ... panties-under-spandex causes *gasp* VPL (visible panty lines) which is the #1 fashion sin for women.
Saw a woman once wearing white with red flowers panties under spandex. Should I have mentioned it as I went by?.

Same woman was enveloped in a cloud of rare perfume. Riding behind that caboose in such a sweet fragrance made me want to follow her home. I also contemplated taking out my blow gun and darting her back tire. That would have created a legitimate excuse to introduce myself and for her to be forever in debt to me because I fixed her tire.
Old 12-31-12, 04:57 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I slid down the CF slope a long time ago. I must now be in "hell" because it was 74F on today's ride.
Is it also a sin to not feel any compassion for the folks stuck up north in the cold climates?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-31-12, 05:09 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by RonH
I slid down the CF slope a long time ago. I must now be in "hell" because it was 74F on today's ride.
Is it also a sin to not feel any compassion for the folks stuck up north in the cold climates?
RonH, you are still paying off the accumulated sins of that prolonged paint job. And not only that, you sold the bike. You should be relishing your time in the fire of hell down there in Florida!
Old 12-31-12, 05:55 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive me as my 2013 goal is to make it to 5,000 miles. And to upgrade to Windows 8.
Old 12-31-12, 06:32 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I was thinking with your first offering that you were a member of the congregation wasting the confessional's time with all this do-gooder stuff.

Then you redeemed yourself with that confession about the fixie and those dark thoughts about becoming all bent up and twisted (you are forgiven and permitted to entertain such thoughts on your weekly Sunday rides).

The Steel-Is-Real sect is down the aisle and off to the left...
Oh thank you, thank you. Truly, everyone I know who has "gotten bent" has loved it.

For my list:

- I plead guilty to fantasizing about meeting Liz Hatch on the road. Hey, could happen, you just never know. They told us that as you age, this Y-Chromosome thing
won't bother you as much. They lied.
Old 12-31-12, 07:04 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
I also contemplated taking out my blow gun and darting her back tire.
Dr. Freud, your next client is here. He's riding a bicycle.

Old 12-31-12, 07:12 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by miss kenton
OK, I really do feel the need to confess this. I bought my husband everything on his Christmas list, including some nice riding gloves and a good bike light. His birthday is Wednesday and I was at a loss at what else I could get him.

So, I had an idea. He doesn’t work-out at all and I would love to see him get fit for some nice riding together when the weather breaks. I don’t want to be pushy about it, so I thought I might try to make it a bit fun. I bought him some nice work out clothes, and some DVDs: Billy Banks’ Tai-bo” and “Dancing Off the Inches – Ballroom.” I thought if we did the dance DVD together, it might not be so bad for him to exercise. I am feeling a bit guilty because he’ll know I really wanted to have that DVD.
Your confession is noted.

You do realise that many eyes will be on your butt the next time you decide to ride in 50+ company? Just to ensure that you are in fact telling a truthful confession, you understand.

I will let the ballroom dalliance pass, this time. There's nothing wrong with bringing some romantic stuff into physical activity... or should that be bringing physical activity into romantic stuff.

Oh well, have fun!
Old 12-31-12, 07:32 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
It is not a sin to not have cash for a new bike. The sin is not having the credit rating needed to buy a bike.
What did your fiancee do to go over the fiscal cliff?
Ooo boy. You've heard of the proverbial can of worms? Think 44 gallon drum I am not marrying this lady for her money. Mind you, this time last year, she bought herself a bike so she could learn how to ride so we could go riding together

She still doesn't understand n+1 though.
Old 12-31-12, 07:50 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
The.Force.Took.Over.The.Mind-Body.Interface.Started.With.French.To.MTB.To.Italian.Road.
Then.10,000.STP.Crazies.At.Husky.Stadium.Rollers.Lycra.Bright.Colors.Kit.Helmets.Spec.Tools.Stand.Ai eee.
I.Must.Resist.The.Razor
I.Must.Resist.The.Razor
Old 12-31-12, 08:22 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Here's mine: at 52 I'm totally getting into road cycling, loving my Specialized Allez, pretty well geared up now with the attire, gear, etc. I need for road riding, and......my next purchase will be a hipster single-speed with bullhorns for riding around town.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.